Bringing my 650 Special back to life.

Drolz

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
It was my first bike and has sat covered I'm my mom's garage for the last 20 years. Now it's in my garage and I want to make it my first project bike. A new battery turns the motor, but 20 year old gas in the tank won't fire. I found xs650.com trying to research the petcocks to figure out what position was 'off'. Got that figured out (no off, vacuum) so drained the tank and removed the tank to get a better look at the everything else.
So I can't remember what year this bike is. I've always referred to it as a 79, but I think it might be an 81. I have so much to learn and not sure where to start. I'll be around this site a lot trying to figure things out. If anyone has a suggestion or tips on how to get started in a bike build project for a first timer, I'm all ears!
IMG_20210719_195537392.jpg
IMG_20210721_213800523.jpg
IMG_20210721_213739120.jpg

I think it is a '79 model. The BS38 carbs, 2 petcocks on the tank, and a rear disc are all '79 things. Also, no headlight on/off switch on the right handlebar switch assembly.

I would start by going through all the wiring, checking and cleaning, if need be, every connection. Before attempting a start, I would drop a float bowl to be sure that the carbs aren't all gummed up inside. If they are, trying to start it will suck the gunk in deeper and plug them up worse.

Thanks 5twins, solid advice, makes perfect sense. I don't know anything about anything, but I imagine I can find some carb guidance here at xs650.com to help me thru that. The wiring I can follow, will be tedious and keep me busy. I noticed the gauges lit up, but the headlight did not. Turn signals are all katywhumpus from the bike having been dumped/vandalized back in the day. I do remember the battery used to die after a few days and the Fuse box is all corroded and rusty. That's as good a place to start as any. In fact now that I think about it, one of those fuses gets hot and even melted the plastic seat it's in. Back in the day I lived in an apartment and the bike had no shelter, exposed to the elements which I'm sure didn't help. Plus I seem to remember issues with the charging system, maybe related to sitting outside exposed to rain alot.
I used to have a maintenance manual for the bike, but I found it had gotten soaked and ruined so need to order a new one.
Thanks for your response! I knew this site was the right place to be!

Welcome aboard Drolz---Your correct this is the right place to be. The Tech section has just about everything you will need to figure out. Have fun.....

tim

Welcome Drolz. That bike sure looks a lot like what I started with which was a '79 Special. My headlight didn't go on until the bike was running. Those head pipes don't look stock.
Jim
092314131925_zps22a53e69.JPG

Yup, you've come to the right place. There are threads that deal with waking up a bike that has not been used for a long time. This one is for people who have just bought an XS but there will be a few pointers which you might find helpful:

http://www.xs650.com/threads/367

Take your time and think about what you want the bike to end up like.

Welcome Drolz. That bike sure looks a lot like what I started with which was a '79 Special. My headlight didn't go on until the bike was running. Those head pipes don't look stock.
Jim
View attachment 195411
Sure does look allike. Yeah, I admit, the pipes look different, I've always hated the slip ons that were on there. They were on the bike when I got it. Lots of clean up work needed, and get it running again. Then we'll see about digging in for a rebuild. The engine appears to leak from where I would imagine a gasket of some kind belongs. But I'm a ways away from the looking at that just yet. Thanks for sharing the pic, it's a good looking Special.

Head gasket leaks are common on these bikes. You have to re-torque the head bolts occasionally and nobody ever did. Yamaha also used rubber washers under some of the big acorn nuts on top of the head. That's no good. They're too soft and allow those head nuts to come loose all the time. Most of us replace them with copper or brass washers.

Thanks for sharing the pic, it's a good looking Special.
LOL. That is the "as purchased" picture.
As for your exhaust, those slip-ons are easy/cheap to replace. I like the look of the aftermarket head pipes better than the more rounded stock pipes. If you look at my before pic you can see what they look like. I would keep yours...

Welcome to the group! There's a lot to read on here, and that search box on the top right side is your friend...guaranteed your questions have been asked before and answered. But don't be afraid to ask if you can't find something or need help...that's what we're here for. Most of us came here to do just what you're doing...and stayed, because, well it's literally the best forum on the web. Period. :)

Good luck! Post up pics!

Back