Broken site ??

This time it was OpenAI's ChatGPT with over 143,000 requests this morning. I wish these bots would throttle themselves. I'll make some changes to the server settings and hope it takes care of the problem for a while.

If you guys continue to experience any issues, please let me know! Thanks @Raymond for bringing it up.

Dang, that sure seems excessive.
Does XenForo allow for limiting the number of simultaneous sessions from 1 user? Or from 1 IP? I'd hope that the SW would have such safeguards, given the seeming prevalence of these attacks.

Dang, that sure seems excessive.
Does XenForo allow for limiting the number of simultaneous sessions from 1 user? Or from 1 IP? I'd hope that the SW would have such safeguards, given the seeming prevalence of these attacks.
I can block IPs in XenForo, but not limit or throttle them as far as I know. The ChatGPT bots use hundreds or even thousands of IPs. There might be something to limit them at the server level with the firewall, or a module, but then I would need to maintain that IP list as OpenAI changes them.

On the server, there are easy ways to tell each bot to not access your site (if they listen), but AI bots are the Wild West, so the internet is divided on whether we should try to block them. There are reasons to let bots on your site and reasons to block them. Time will tell what the right answers are. For now, I'm blocking the bots I don't trust and allowing the others, as long as the server can handle it. If the server can't handle it, I'll block more bots.

I can block IPs in XenForo, but not limit or throttle them as far as I know. The ChatGPT bots use hundreds or even thousands of IPs. There might be something to limit them at the server level with the firewall, or a module, but then I would need to maintain that IP list as OpenAI changes them.

On the server, there are easy ways to tell each bot to not access your site (if they listen), but AI bots are the Wild West, so the internet is divided on whether we should try to block them. There are reasons to let bots on your site and reasons to block them. Time will tell what the right answers are. For now, I'm blocking the bots I don't trust and allowing the others, as long as the server can handle it. If the server can't handle it, I'll block more bots.
Understood.
I was hoping that the folks at XF might have created another module to control access by bots specifically to address this problem of overwhelming attacks.
Maybe one day they will.

Thank you, @Shelby for a clear explanation of bots. The term gets flung about rather loosely.
Many years as a Help Desk tech. I was the person you called when someone entered the wrong password into the bar code scanner and brought the whole warehouse to s screeching halt. (Credit card Merchant Services before that...)

Back