BS 38 pilot jet

jgimar

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Just a quick question. I ditched my plans to run a 2 into 1 with a mikuni vm 38. Now I am in the process of cleaning up a set of '76 BS 38's. since I'm going to run open 1 1/2+ inch pipes (with torque cones) and pod filters, I have changed up on the jets, all new ones in place, but need to check on the pilot jets. They had #25 non-bleed types and I went up to #30's, but they are bleed style. Will the bleed style perform the same as the non-bleed, or should I try to track down non-bleeds? Any guidance thanks.

Most reliable is to match which end of the pilot has the orifice with the float bowl type you have.
mikunipilotjetsmoddedam2.gif
bs38 folat bowl passages pilots.jpg

I did not know there is a bs38 bowl version that uses the same jet as the bs34 (bs30/96 is jet type used in bs34)

Unless you find some very old NOS ones, I don't think it's even possible to buy BS38 pilot jets without bleed holes, whether they be BS30/96 or VM22/210, nor whether they be genuine Mikuni or after-market.

Unless you find some very old NOS ones, I don't think it's even possible to buy BS38 pilot jets without bleed holes, whether they be BS30/96 or VM22/210, nor whether they be genuine Mikuni or after-market.
Exactly, which is why i had to convert to the bleed style. Came across some non style but not in the size i needed. Thanks again.

The only place to get no-hole pilots would be to scrounge them from other Yamaha carbs of that era. You can get 27.5's out of '78-'79 650 carbs and 30's out of '76-'77 XS500 carbs. But, no need to go out of your way for this since the bleed hole type work just fine. My thoughts on this are that Yamaha may have contracted with Mikuni to produce these no-hole pilots maybe at a reduced cost since there was less work involved in making them.

The only place to get no-hole pilots would be to scrounge them from other Yamaha carbs of that era. You can get 27.5's out of '78-'79 650 carbs and 30's out of '76-'77 XS500 carbs. But, no need to go out of your way for this since the bleed hole type work just fine. My thoughts on this are that Yamaha may have contracted with Mikuni to produce these no-hole pilots maybe at a reduced cost since there was less work involved in making them.

Back