BS34s and white plugs

Just gassed up madness, high compression 750 cammed, she's getting a bit tired, VM34 carbs, fairly high gearing, riding curvy state highways. Couple of hammer down runs to 75MPH or so, (testing purposes only;))
112 miles 2.2 gallons, yup 50MPG.
Only 14gal to Mountain View then:laugh2:

With jetting down the pilot air circuit and going up on the main jets…back from a sunny 1200 mile round trip to the beach with exactly 42 mpg

On either niche or jets are us, can you please post a link for the page with needle and needle jet? My needle jets on my bs34s, 1980, are out of round on the top. Or suggest what I may search for. I see in tech it's a y-o jet. I didn't have luck locating it. I would definitely prefer the genuine mechuni.
Thanks all.

I don't think originals are available any more so you'd have to get the re-pops. If I needed to replace some BS34 needles and needle jets, I think I would go with the "Canadian" ones. The needle (5IX11) has 5 clip slots so is adjustable, and there is a matching needle jet (336-Y-0) for it. This needle jet has more air bleed holes down the sides so is actually a little leaner than the original Y-0 needle jet. But, combined with the much richer 5IX11 needle, the result is still a richer midrange.

https://yamahaxs650.com/product-cat...arb-slide-needles-needle-jets-mixture-screws/

Not a WOT plug chop.
Typical part throttle lean emission plug. This happens on all lean setting part throttle and/or WOT emission carbs after time.
They always go leaner and leaner until no start.

cliff

Last edited:
Just an observation:

NGK plugs have a shiny metal plating to help release the threads when unscrewing. When heated the plating burns away as you commonly see on the ground electrode.

Photo taken from Entry #8: The plating is heat stained/burnt halfway up the threaded region. This is an indicator that the plug is on the hot side. That heated zone should only be about 1/4 to1/3 up the threaded section.

1712566568377.png

I recently, two weeks ago, ran my Virago using the recommended BP7ES and then colder BP8ES and BP9ES. In all cases the porcelain was White but the heat zone on the threads decreased significantly:

BP7ES: 1/2 like the photo above.

BP8ES: approx. 1/4

BP9ES: No heat zone showing on the threads. See photo below:

BP9ES.JPG

This BP9ES has had just over 100 miles running on a mixture of motorway, country and urban roads. In addition the idle carbon monoxide level for both carbs has been set to 4%. There is no heat zone at all on the threads as expected for going to a colder plug. What surprised me most was the porcelain is still white. Close inspection of the porcelain shows the surface to have a smooth satin appearance as when it was new. When a plug is running too hot the porcelain shows very fine white or silvery particles adhering to the white surface and that is the danger sign.

The next photo is a closeup on the ground electrode of this same BP9ES:

Electrode.JPG

Notice how the metal plating on the ground electrode has been burnt back halfway. We would expect the electrode plating to be burnt completely off and a heat line in the bare metal at about 2/3 to 3/4. Also a carbon ring at the base of the insulator is barely visible. Clearly this BP9ES is not running hot yet displays white porcelain.

It is important to consider more than just the porcelain color. If you see white then treat it as an alert then look more closely for over heating signs e.g. heat zone on threads and ground electrode plus fine particles adhering to the porcelain, especially the latter.

Perfect
So far

Look at the porcelain below the shell(threads)
Side electrode will burn-back about 1/2
Part throttle will not indicate WOT jetting

Back