BS34s and white plugs

Adding the washer is cheap, easy and has worked for me on (cough) several BS34 bikes.
I also use 50MPG, I'll let you canadianize that, as a metric. A healthy XS on the road 60MPH or so should be getting right around 50MPG, much higher or lower and something's not right. Performance mods, gearing don't seem to matter much, 50MPG.
My old '84 XS pizzing 'round got about 42 USG/mile. A carbatooted 883 sporty I have got about 54 one a trip to the coast and back over 36, which I thought astonishing. Your "50" seems dead on. Drag over 60 goes up fast...36 is slowandtwisty. Best!

Wow that’s pretty good fuel economy and I trust you’ve stated consumption in US gallons? Our fatter gallon should yield 20% more? Unfortunately my bike had never used so little fuel. Iirc last time I checked it was high 40’s. Nice to have a target value.
Mine, fitted with a pair of VM34s, returns 60mpg Imperial on average, and that's not cruising like my granny, either. I've never changed anything in the carbs, so it is all down to the PO (one of the eight POs took care of things, the others were wreckers).
Plugs have always been light tan or light gray, depending on the local brew.

I suppose part of my problem is most of my riding is not at hwy speeds for a prolonged period of time. I rarely run straight highway for any distance.

Last edited:
And how do you know you have a Canadian bike? I ask because the carb jetting specs and the fixed 5HX12 needle are U.S. carb specs. A Canadian bike should have the adjustable 5IX11 needle and possibly slightly smaller mains and air jets. The needle jet is also slightly different.
5twins, I may have been wrong about the needle. I’ve seldom gone this far into a carburetor. It looked non adjustable and I actually used a carb chart you posted to label it as I did above - since I couldn’t actually read the needle
But it may be adjustable - I’ll check after work.
If it is, could I attempt to drop the circlip one notch?
& I believe it’s Canadian as the speedo gauge is kilometers per hour

Yes, very good video. You might be a touch lean but not overly so. What air jet are you running? If you have a 135, reducing it to a 130 will richen the idle circuit a little and should add some color to your plugs. Also, as mentioned, the 135 main is a good mod for the factory lean BS34's, even on a totally stock bike. And if you do still have the original resistor spark plug caps, I would change them to non-resistor caps. This is best if you're going to use resistor plugs. You only want one example of resistance in each spark plug line. That can be plug, cap, or wire, but not a combination of more than one of those.
Yes, very good video. You might be a touch lean but not overly so. What air jet are you running? If you have a 135, reducing it to a 130 will richen the idle circuit a little and should add some color to your plugs. Also, as mentioned, the 135 main is a good mod for the factory lean BS34's, even on a totally stock bike. And if you do still have the original resistor spark plug caps, I would change them to non-resistor caps. This is best if you're going to use resistor plugs. You only want one example of resistance in each spark plug line. That can be plug, cap, or wire, but not a combination of more than one of those.
135 air jet for the main or pilot circuit? Are both removable?

Only the pilot air jet is removable, the main air jet is "fixed" (pressed in) .....

BS34BellMouth.jpg

This is a valuable fine tuning aid for the idle circuit that many aren't aware of. It can have a big effect on the color ring on the porcelain. A regular small round main jet (N102/221 type) is used here but it flows air, not fuel. If you have a #135 in there now, try a 132.5 and/or a 130. You may be able to close the mix screws up a little as well once you put the smaller air jets in.

I know virtually nothing about Carburetors
Speaking for myself I am Paranoid get it to lean .Which I know can have disastrous effects.
I have always had more black plugs .I know it can be wrong but it works for me
Vibration Free
I don't care if it is to much fuel as long as it don't get lean.
Higher speeds warm days and longer runs they get more Brownish I don't know why.
The higher heat perhaps.

I would suspect the change of Plugs makes a difference .
I would check the ignition timing so it is not to advanced ..and lean at the same time ---not good.
I would Probably go for richer mixture and don't bother much about the fuel consumption ( don't tell any environmentalists )

Larger Main jets are recommended and that makes sense to me I today ordered 137.5 that I will try .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/151075831133
Is this a valid main jet for the BS CV carb?
On eBay, it says for a RS HSR carburetor but the description fits the bill.
Wonder if there is any difference or if that’s just the way it’s listed
This is your main jet:
http://www.nichecycle.com/ncs/categ...ets/n100-604-n100-604-main-jet-by-mikuni.html
1682545560834.png

This is your pilot air jet:
http://www.nichecycle.com/ncs/categ...ets/n102-221-n102-221-main-jet-by-mikuni.html
1682545658874.png

This is your pilot jet:
http://www.nichecycle.com/ncs/categ...jets/bs30-96-bs30-96-pilot-jet-by-mikuni.html
1682545850484.png

If you need to purchase alternate sizes of any of your jets, make sure you buy real Mikuni jets, not Chinese "close enough" knock offs that everyone seems to sell now days. (e-Bay, Amazon, 4 into 1, etc)

These folks have also have all the genuine jets you need in all sizes, to include the pilot air jets:

https://jetsrus.com/

I've ordered from them many, many times and they always ship right away. 👍

Last edited:
I know virtually nothing about Carburetors
Speaking for myself I am Paranoid get it to lean .Which I know can have disastrous effects.
I have always had more black plugs .I know it can be wrong but it works for me
Vibration Free
I don't care if it is to much fuel as long as it don't get lean.
Higher speeds warm days and longer runs they get more Brownish I don't know why.
The higher heat perhaps.

I would suspect the change of Plugs makes a difference .
I would check the ignition timing so it is not to advanced ..and lean at the same time ---not good.
I would Probably go for richer mixture and don't bother much about the fuel consumption ( don't tell any environmentalists )

Larger Main jets are recommended and that makes sense to me I today ordered 137.5 that I will try .
Very correct regarding getting too lean and melting down.

However, you don't want to go too "pig rich" either as we often call it, because that has a nasty effect of fuel washing the oil from the cylinders and rings and creating premature wear and oil dilution.....definitely hard to achieve the correct balance sometimes though.

My 73 CB350 seems to want to run pig rich no matter what I do with it, very sensitive to even the smallest of adjustments...especially float settings.

If you need to purchase alternate sizes of any of your jets, make sure you buy real Mikuni jets, not Chinese "close enough" knock offs that everyone seems to sell now days.

These folks have all the genuine jets you need in all sizes, to include the pilot air jets:

https://jetsrus.com/

I've ordered from them many, many times and they always ship right away. 👍
The Niche links I posted are genuine. They're price is a bit lower than Jets-R-Us and customer service just as good.

The Niche links I posted are genuine. They're price is a bit lower than Jets-R-Us and customer service just as good.

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to imply your links weren't genuine at all, I meant more like eBay, Amazon, 4 into 1, etc... (I edited my post to reflect that). I can see how it came across that way, my apologies. :cheers:

I was just sharing my one stop shop for all things jetting because I frequently have to buy jets for not only Mikuni but Keihin too...I like their web layout and find them pretty easy to order from as well. They seem like kind of an obscure/unknown site that many dont know about so I was just trying to share an alternative.

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to imply your links weren't genuine at all...I can see how it came across that way, my apologies. :cheers:
No need to be sorry. Your interpretation of my message was faulty, as was my delivery. Two good options for genuine Mikuni brass. I've used both and recommend both without reservation. Niche wins on price is the only difference in my experience.

No need to be sorry. Your interpretation of my message was faulty, as was my delivery. Two good options for genuine Mikuni brass. I've used both and recommend both without reservation. Niche wins on price is the only difference in my experience.
Yes, I believe I will definitely be comparing between the two vendors from now on myself. That brass sure adds up in a hurry. 👍

Since I do a lot of fooling around with carbs, I buy my jets in 4 packs. Mikuni sells them this way probably because of all the 4 cylinder/carb bikes out there, and the price per jet is usually better. I'll search eBay from time to time and sometimes a really good deal will pop up, like $10 to $12 for a 4 pack of genuine Mikuni jets.

I was able to get out on my new to the road XS650SH last night. I ran a couple gallons of gasoline through it.
I got exactly 50 mpg.:shrug:
Just gassed up madness, high compression 750 cammed, she's getting a bit tired, VM34 carbs, fairly high gearing, riding curvy state highways. Couple of hammer down runs to 75MPH or so, (testing purposes only;))
112 miles 2.2 gallons, yup 50MPG.

Back