BS38 Choke Plunger

Thank you for this thread!
My 70 has been idling "rich" on few outings this spring (ran "great" once) then back to rough, and your choke thread made me remember that I had a sticky choke linkage last summer, thought I had cured it, but now I know where to look!
:twocents:Those early choke links are a completely different animal than what the late linked carbs use, but it's possible for the link between rod and plunger to get bent or "cocked" and prevent the plunger from completely closing.

Anybody have a source for OEM BS38 choke plungers for a '78? I suspect I have intermittent problems with one of them not sealing.
If the plunger is sticky, try rotating it to a different position in the bore.
If you want a good used plunger, PM me, I have several.

Thanks will keep that in mind. Last evening I pulled the carbs, cleaned and swapped inlet needles and seats and reset float levels. And I also checked the plunger to be sure it was free and the lifter was not putting any pressure on the plunger.

Will take it for a test ride tonight to see if I get a black spot on the right plug again or see if it moves to the left. Oh and I used carb cleaner and compress air to clean things out.

Plugs look good now even after a lengthy slow ride. Not sure which thing fixed it but I suspect the inlet needle. Seems a little lean now, going to check the float levels wet next. I find it difficult to get it right dry with the springs in the inlet needles.

Back