Build Thread - 1978 XS650 Special Edition

Depending on the year and test procedure they spec .46 or .9 ohms.

I think what they did in some manuals is give you the resistance of one winding, but it's not possible to measure one winding, only two of them in series.

Time for another update!

The Yamaha has the pamco / pma setup from MikesXS. I've gone through all of the setup, cleaned up much of the wiring, still have to put the new wire loom on the wires. Unfortunately, the bike doesn't run yet. I've borrowed a timing light, but I can't get it to do the base 'run' to be able to time it.

With that said, I think I've narrowed down my problem. I believe the shaft that holds the pamco pickup / magnet is not correct. When I was following the instructions, it stated that I would need to hold it on the other side of the rod to tighten it down, so I had the cover off. Well, I bumped the rod and pushed it out of the advance side! When I went to the other side of the bike - I wasn't even sure how it actually all went together! I swivled it around and got it back into place -- this is I believe my new problem! Would this make sense? Would the bike not run if it was 180 degrees off? I've slid the pamco pickup ring from one end of the slider to the other with no love.

I found it on this timing THREAD and it had this picture:
atu7.jpg

Think I'm on the right track? Don't forget, this bike just stopped charging and was ridden into the garage running. Mechanical timing between cam & crank shouldn't have been able to change.

Dave

The Pamco uses a dual output coil. So being 180 out on the advancer won't matter. The coil fires every 180 degrees.
What I might suggest is hooking just the ignition to a spare battery. Set it on the floor by the bike, hook battery negative to a good frame ground. Hook the positive to just the coil and Pamco. This will power just the ignition. You should be able to start the engine and set the timing.
This will let you check to see if the PMA is functioning as well. Have the PMA wired up to the rest of the wiring.
Once you get the bike running and are sure the PMA is functioning right, then you can hook the ignition back to the bike.
xjwmx, your right as far as you go. The windings are linked so when you test the ohms of the white wires you have to check two windings at a time. If you unhook the yellow wire to the safety relay then test ohms from the yellow wire to the three whites you can test each winding by itself.
They don't describe it that way in any books, it may have been a considered a common knowledge thing and not put in the books.
Leo

So, I've got an update.

I rechecked all my wiring, all looked good, proper connections tested for continuity with a multimeter, everything was perfect. Still made no difference. Unplugged the coil and the electronic ignition system and ran to a separate battery. No difference. Found out that I didn't build the wires correctly.

Redid coil and boot ends this way: http://www.xs650.com/forum/showpost.php?p=180156&postcount=2

Still no difference. Ok, back to basics. Spark, Air and Fuel.

Spark? Have spark. Looks strong, tests with simu plug tester widget grounded properly. Plugs are brand new. Check.
Air? I'm breathing and it's got less than 500 miles on air filters, Check.
Fuel? Lines are set, hoses in place, filled with fuel, and let's not forget -- I drove this bike home with it's bad charging issue after being at a random strangers house for 45 mins while we let it charge...

Well, since I'd beaten the spark issue to death, and it's going to have air. Pulled plugs, both dry......... let's try some starting fluid. Vrooom, started right up. So, obviously something wrong with the carbs now, plugs were dry.

Can't make this kind of sh*t up can you?!!! :banghead:

Pulled the carbs, I've started taking them apart. In the bowl of one of the carbs I've found what I can only guess is remnants of my old air filters that were in there when I first started tinkering around again on this bike. Yum. Guess I'll learn to actually rebuild the carbs now! :)

Dave

I put about 100 miles on today, just bombing around. Only hiccups I had were bumping the vac lines off the carbs that run to the fuel tank petcocks. popping and snapping when that was dangling. :)

So, I've got one more thing that's got to be fixed - headlight is no worky. I'm guessing this is unplugged and I'm just not sure which one it might be, after switching to the PMA, I must have unplugged it during that process, since it used to only turn on once the bike fired up.

Thoughts? This is the downside to having started the project like 2 months ago!

Dave

Ok, found it. It's the yellow wire near the starter solenoid thingie. If I give this 12v the headlight works. So, I gave it 12v with the key... but now there's another issue -- this also must enable the starter disable so you can't bump the starter button while it's riding?

Dave

Well, a few updates for you folks!

I've been riding my '78 around a bit lately as the weather is warming up. She's running pretty good. The old megaphone mufflers had been needing replacement. One of the baffles was completely missing, another was rattling. Well, I yanked the rattling one out -- and the bike was WAAAY too loud. I decided to try a cheap alternative - Loud pipes save lives! I made up some junky little pipes from the local auto parts store. It's notably quieter than it was previously -- still quite loud but so much better sound.

It looks pretty good on the side:
exhaust-side.jpg

The top view you can see end out about the same:
exhaust-top.jpg

I did a 75 degree chop on the pipes, just so they weren't so dull.
exhaust-degree.jpg

I intend to paint them black with header paint -- but I realized just how rough my header pipes are -- so I'll do that when I do them too. (possibly replacement)

Also, I pulled off the big sissy bar and got some new shocks. I was told at a stop that my center stand was quite low on turns -- which I knew as I've dragged it going into turns a bit overly enthusiastic.

The shocks were the all black 13.x" ones from MikesXS - Cheapos, but MAN what a difference they are! I have them set to the lowest setting but they still sit taller than my old ones at the highest tension. What a difference $80 could make!
I replaced the 2 piece brake line on the front caliper with a single braided stainless line -- 42" as I recall - which seems to be just a little bit too long. Might have to try some other handlebars instead of the buckhorns...

shocks-brakeline.jpg

I'm noticing my seals are needing some love... head gaskets seem to be weeping a bit - Thinking it might make sense to retorque the head with those copper washer replacements that I've read about. Thoughts? Also, my intake valve gaskets are spitting oil too... Could this be something other than just old gaskets - like a problem I've not seen yet?

Dave

I'm attempting to not modify anything from stock that's not bolted on. I'd like this bike to be able to be restored to original someday in the future, so I've decided not to chop it.

With that said, I'm still having fun tinkering around with things, obviously. I put on some new handlebars and it came out pretty fun. Now, I've found my seat just isn't up to the comfort I would like. What can I do to make this more comfortable without chopping up the bike?

Apes.jpg

I was thinking a solo seat, but I think it may look stupid due to the frame following out to the rear fender.

Thoughts?

Dave

This bike has a sticking front caliper. I've replaced the front brake lever setup, and the lines, and rebuilt the caliper, but clearly the caliper is still sticking due to some of the minor pitting or something. No big deal, needs a front caliper.

With that said, I rode this bike 43 miles this year. And now, it's time to re-register it, or not.

So, seeing as I don't really have any huge fascination for this bike -- What do you figure it's worth in it's state? Plenty of pictures in this thread to give you an idea of its condition. Should I sell it and let someone else do something with it or put it away for another decade? :confused:

I'd love to hear thoughts!

Dave aka Ghan

...I don't really have any huge fascination for this bike --

Well, that puts it in perspective, the core passion.

These bikes are handy, perky things. And submit quite well to vision and skilled hands.

But the drive comes from the passion, the vision.

And it takes drive to do the work. And appreciate the results.

Does ownership feel like a reward, or a chore?

Well, you asked for thoughts. So I drifted into la-la land...

I find myself more as a utilitarian, or an explorer. I have a 52 mi one way commute, part of which is highway, and the speed that general traffic goes at -- the 650 just seemed like IT was a chore to keep up.

Here's what I did in 2015:

BMW R1200GS 9637mi
BMW R850R 1576mi
HD Sportster 384mi
Yamaha XS650SE 44mi

Clearly I find fire roads and woods more attractive. Decisions, decisions...

Thanks for your feedback!

Dave

Value as it sits 5 to $900

Then you DID ask.

1st you put over 10,000 miles on motorcycles this year so you are a REAL biker LOL

This bike is your distant 4th choice ride.

To call a spade a spade you are not a gear head at heart. I can fairly confidently guess that the BMWs get dealer service for anything much more than oil changes.
Many on here and in general use their XS650 as their garage bike, a role it fills well. It's simple, parts are cheap, custom parts to make any kind of "my way" ride are everywhere. And if built to a nice machine it will get comments and conversation everywhere you go. Even when made into full bore customs they tend to be an "everyman" bike. Anyone with any biker blood at all in their veins will stop and chat.

But this isn't what you have been doing. Even though you have 15-20K worth of other bikes you haven't gone the mile to make this bike a worthy mount that would yell PICK ME, while you're sipping your Saturday morning coffee planning the day's ride.

Finally don't get your pants in a bunch about getting the big bucks out of it, better to talk around and find a new owner that has the passion to make a custom or is so low budget that this bike might be his only way to get two wheels on the road.
Good luck.

There are few of us that don't want a little respect when riding. And a clapped out looking stock special won't get you much of that at the hardware store or gas station.

I kinda felt your ambivalence all along in this thread. So unless you get a vision for the bike, and commit to spending some time and money creating that vision. Yes sell it, When you have fine machines in the garage there's not much reason to own an old beater bike, that is likely to leave you stranded every time you ride it. Gary who buys and sells bikes about as often as I change razor blades.

the XS seems to be the red headed step child in your garage I would sell her if I were you.
Some one will love her the way she needs, Just saying

Looking at your pics the bike is in need of maint 101, chain is stretched, shot Yes it needs a head retorque, gggGary's o-rings will stop the valve cover leaks. Sticky front brake could be several things. bad brake hose, lube the caliper slider. You need to remove the seal and clean the gunk behind it. Do everything mentioned here?

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?p=417294

Nothing wrong with a rat bike, and the 650 can make a good knock around dirt road, open trail wanderer that it's no big deal if it gets tipped or scratched.

Mineral spirits in a windex bottle, a tooth brush and some rags............
From the amount of oil dirt on the rear, looks like it wants a new clutch rod seal and or the front sprocket nut tightened.

The best comparison that comes to mind in reference to modern bikes versus the xs650 is with playing "Call of Duty" or with a G.I. Joe. Plug and play or hands on. Sometimes the accessories just don't stay in that Kung foo grip......

Back