Build Thread...Special to Cafe Bike

Could gloomy be far behind?
no, no gloomy.. meant like revving it and shouting out "Do me !"
20200130_183834.jpg

no, no gloomy.. meant like revving it and shouting out "Do me !"
View attachment 159065

hehehehe.

Gary nailed the other reason to name them: it makes it easier to keep track if you have several bikes (and many do...).

anyhow - it’s my party and I’ll cry if I frickin’ want to.

ever called one by the wrong name?
They don't care, as long as you show them some love. They have souls, because you put yours into them. Therefore, they all deserve names, even if they're not necessarily flattering ("The Basketcase"?). I had a car once, I called "The Klingon Flea Trap". Foreign. Not pretty. Taught me how to turn a metric wrench, and one of the best I ever owned. Hated to part with it :( but saw it more than a year later. Somebody was still giving it love... :wtf:

OK,
I don't usually name my vehicles but I do buy them customized plates.
Mind you, SGI is kinda weird about those. Once you get one, it's yours for life.
I got my "XS11" plate pinned to a wall because it couldn't be transferred along with the bike.
Friend had his GUZZI plate pinned up 20 years between Guzzis.
Tried for an XS650 plate but no, "We might use the XS number series one day"
Told 'em "Any 12 year old could computer-sort that registration as pre-sold"
They said "We don't employ 12 year olds"
And my wife's car plate is ALVA so I can remember who I'm married to.
(And so we can find it in car parks.)

Someone sent me a video of a Delta Lockheed L1011 being dismantled in the boneyard. Watching it was rather painful. I left sweat and blood all over those airplanes. I rode them all over the world. They're a large part of my life. As such, inanimate objects become important to us. My bikes don't have names, but I get it.

Okey dokey sports fan: I finally took a mental health day (off work) yesterday and got into the DCW for some time on my bikes. As you may know, I am preparing all three of my XS650s for the big CVMG Annual Rally in Paris Ontario in June and each has its own set of issues:

1) Lucille :yikes: is a 1976 XS650C and just needs some engine case polishing and while I’d sure like to get her tins painted, I am not sure that is realistic given what else is on my plate.

2) Black Betty is a 1978 XS650E and Jim is presently painting her tins for me ( :bow2:) and she will be getting a new RHS muffler (THANK YOU Gary :bow2:) and the usual head re-torque, timing chain, valve lash and points care and a new set of tires and tubes plus the front brake is sticky.

Which brings me to....

3) Demi
- the 1981 XS650SH and the subject of this thread. This slightly crusty old gal is getting the full meal deal and yesterday I tucked into her in grand style. I figured out the tank mounting arrangements and am working on the seat as well. Once those are sorted out, I am shipping the tins and seat to Jim along with the paint and he is going to work his magic on them. Meanwhile I will keep going on everything else starting with polishing the rear hub and brake plate and then spoking up the new 18” wheel and getting new tires front and rear. It’s gonna be tight....

I may have to change the name of this thread to the Three Chicks Build...

Here are some photos...
B8CD6F27-2FE4-44A2-A53A-C04B24B4941F.jpeg

6E4717E0-2F58-404E-A5F4-A02747F4A541.jpeg
354446ED-EB8F-4CD0-A69A-A59B83ADA010.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi JC - nope, she's is just fine thanks.

One of my CVMG buddies is polishing her RH engine case cover for me and I had just changed the oil when he offered, so I leaned her over to get the cover off without having to drain it. He has already done my valve adjuster covers and the RH side oil filter cover - what a super friend.

It isn't the cost, quite honestly, I am just so busy these days that I can't miss any opportunity to move these old gals forward quickly.

Cheers,

Pete

It isn't the cost, quite honestly, I am just so busy these days that I can't miss any opportunity to move these old gals forward quickly.
Yes Pete, finding the time is sometimes very tight. Even the interruptions constantly happen when I'm out in the garage..
Slow & Steady wins the race they say.
-R

Hey guys. New to the site and ans the xs world, its already helped me figure out a few things. I've "tightened" the spring clip and it seems to be engaging with the starter now but I'm wondering if this gear is returning to the correct position. What do you think?

Its not resting flat against the outer gear. Im wondering if the coil spring isnt strong enough?

OOPS ive posted thing in the wrong section. must have had too many tabs open. not sure who i managed to mess up so bad

Attachments

• 20200307_144453.jpg
    20200307_144453.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 185
Well, I finally got back out into the DCW and continuing on the theme of the Three Chicks Build, I made progress on all three of my gals:

Betty (1978 XS650E): got new tires and tubes and a nice shiny new muffler from Baraboo plus I freed up her sticky front calliper, straightened her rear turn signals, fixed a faulty tail light bulb, installed a new set of rear brake shoes and mounted a beautiful set of Euro bars on her (these were a gift from a fellow Essex-Kent Chapter CVMG member).
B07E4BEB-67A6-4337-90B0-36DDE241BAE4.jpeg

73EC3C6D-D9B0-4659-8E56-6FB2E4796E00.jpeg

Demi (1981 XS650SH > Café bike) I am working on the rear wheel (switch from a 16” to an 18” steel 48 spoke rim) and she has temporarily donated her LH engine case cover to Lucille whose case cover is being polished by a friend. It was good to get that cover off as I REALLY need to clean in there. She’s looking pretty crusty in there for sure and I will also change her rear brake shoes and rear wheel bearings as well before spoking up the new rim and mounting a new pair of tires and tubes.
59C05EB5-4ED6-4991-8A20-9798F79F2241.jpeg

Lucille (1976 XS650C) is now fully operational and ready to ride to the CVMG Sunday Breakfast tomorrow morning.
FDF6C74C-F4DD-4EA1-8A1E-8DB889E13E92.jpeg

Slowly, but surely, were getting there.

Last edited:
Cool fork brace on your Cafe project MaxPete. Leaving it on there ?

yup. I’m not a fussy person about strict originality, but I’d like to keep Lucille and Betty as good examples of mid- and late- Standards with sensible modifications to enhance reliability and safety and so Demi is my bike for modifications. She will get the 18” rear wheel, dual disks, of course the XS750 tank and cafe seat and she will keep the fork brace, plus a couple of other little surprises this spring - and perhaps someday a 750 kit (I know a chap who has one or two of them).

yeah, I like messing around with Demi......
2F0581DE-7EFC-4DD5-B513-4C264A7F1A51.jpeg

Hehehehe.

Last edited:
Back