Build Thread...Special to Cafe Bike

Pete's 750 tank for Demi is up next in the paint room. Rear mount is bent down too far to work on the 650 frame.

View attachment 162418

View attachment 162421

A little cuttin' and a tap tap here and there.....

View attachment 162420

Welded back together. Added a little filler metal to beef up the sides....

View attachment 162422

.... and a mockup shot just because. :rolleyes:

View attachment 162423

I can’t wait to see what you do with this tank Jim!

I love the little mockup! I’m going for a very similar look, exited to see what Pete does!

Daniel.

Last edited:
Pete's 750 tank for Demi is up next in the paint room. Rear mount is bent down too far to work on the 650 frame.

View attachment 162418

View attachment 162421

A little cuttin' and a tap tap here and there.....

View attachment 162420

Welded back together. Added a little filler metal to beef up the sides....

View attachment 162422

.... and a mockup shot just because. :rolleyes:

View attachment 162423
Pete, I dunno what petcocks you're going to use on that 750 tank, but if the stock 750 vacuum units like I have, make sure there's enough clearance above the carb cover tops for the lateral hoses going into the central tee that feeds gas down to the carb inlets. Rear of my tank sits just a tad higher than I would have liked, but I couldn't lower it any more without the hoses lying right down on top of the carb covers. Photo doesn't show how close it is, but you get the idea.

Attachments

• Tankpad_1.JPG
    Tankpad_1.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 199
Great thought - thanks!

Actually, I have a source for NOS Yamaha petcocks and I have a set of those for either the ‘78E or the cafe (and he has several more sets if anyone is interested) plus I have a set of the aftermarket non-vacuum ones too.

I’ll sort of hold off till the tank comes back and then I’ll see what fits best.

PM me if you want to get a set of the OEM units for yourself and I’ll hook you up.

Pete

Well sportsfans, it has indeed been quite a while since the last chapter of the Saga of Demi was penned - except of course for the spectacular job done by Jim on Demi's tins (see photo below...) - but as I have reported elsewhere, Mrs. MaxPete and I have sold our city home in Windsor and are moving to wine country out in the middle of Essex county. We have bought a 4-acre place near the small community of Harrow and it has everything we need except a pole barn - and I am actively working on that. In the meantime, I have been engaged in getting disengaged from my work at the university, heavily embroiled with boxing-up our life in preparation for the big move and I did take a little trip on the 1983 BMW R100RS last week (more about that elsewhere in the ACHTUNG! thread).

But now, as the move is coming up in just about four weeks, I need to get everything in the Disaster Central Workshop (DCW) ready to move and that will entail some work on my little fleet:
  • Lucille ('76 XS650C Standard - still needs a new regulator/rectifier (I have everything - just trying to get time in one block to get that done);
  • Betty ('78 XS650E Standard - still needs the headlight bucket wiring reassembled after a headlight ear realignment - today's task);
  • Demi ('81 XS650SH -> CAFE bike needs the new 18" 48-spoke rear wheel and tire assembly installed so that she can be wheeled around);
Avid readers will recall the trials and tribulations of the shift from the 16" Heritage Special rear wheel to the better-handling 18" wheel - while preserving the look of the 48-spoke Yamaha SH wheel and chromed steel rim. As I recall it, I spent about two solid days re-spoking the new rim onto the old hub and in the process I had it apart and together about 25 (REALLY!) times before I finally got the pattern correct. Later, a buddy installed a snazzy new Michelin Pilot Activ tire and tube and now that end of the bike was ready to roll, once it had been dug out of the heap of crap in the DCW and put on the bike.

Anyhow, today, I finally was free of tasks at work (almost), tasks around the house (sort of...) and other stuff and so this morning, I got Demi's rear wheel installed - so that is one down and two to go.
DEMI - ready to roll_Aug-18-2021.jpg

...and soon (once the f@ckin' border opens), the above bike will be mated with the beautiful tins as painted by our Jim...
AAA - Pete's CAFE is Done.jpg

I will remind readers that this bike is called "Demi" because she is a little mysterious (being a mix of late Special parts with some resto-mod upgrades and Standard size wheels and tires) and with her XS750 fuel tank, she is a bit bigger up-top than usual...
Demi-Moore-nude-2.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations Pete, you’re on the cusp of a great retirement life! A house in the country and a big ol barn to store your projects in. I’m sure your family and doggie will really enjoy the new digs too. I know what a hassle moving is, I don’t envy you on that one. But have fun big guy!

We have bought a 4-acre place near the small community of Harrow

:D
“ Harrow used to be such a nice quiet community until that whipper snapper with all the motorcycles moved in! “
4E03D8C3-C647-4608-AA9E-C866FD9D8AA5.jpeg

Thanks guys - we are pretty excited about the big move to the country.

Don't forget to check out the story of my latest bike trip in the ACHTUNG! thread!

Pete

The paint is beautiful. What color is that?
You'll love retirement Pete. Every day is Saturday and with property... the projects and yard work is never ending. I've been retired almost three years and have not had a moment of boredom. The opposite really.

Thanks Jim and Raymond - I am looking forward to stepping back.

As for the colour, it is a 1984 Ford shade called Dark Cadet Blue.

HOKEY DOKEY gents - it’s time for another update on the Three Chicks Build!

Demi (1981 XS650SH Special-to-Cafe) project is now ready to roll onto a trailer / big blue van (hint…hint) for the 18 km run out to the new MaxPete Country Estate in Harrow with the snazzy new 18” megaspoke rear wheel complete with a brand Michelin new tire and tube nicely mounted.

…..but the big news is……

Betty (1978 XS650E - formerly owned by our dear departed friend RobinC of London, ON) I finally got a day away from other stuff and had a chance to concentrate on Betty. Her front turn signals are now aligned and the headlight bucket wiring is reinstalled with a modern headlight modulator unit from Signal Dynamics - and she is fully operational. She still doesn’t have her beautiful repainted ‘78E green tins yet, (she is wearing a set of cast-off side covers and Lucille’s red 1976 fuel tank), but she starts, idles and runs great and has a pair of shiny stock mufflers (thanks so much gggGary!) and a full set of brand new tires and tubes (Michelin Pilot Activ tires - front and rear) and everything seems just fine.

Lucille :yikes: (1976 XS650C) is next up on the DCW bike lift for the installation of a new reg-rec unit and then she should be ready to roll out to her new home in Harrow.

…and of course, my “modern” bike Gretel (1983 BMW R100RS) is ready to go on her next BlitzKreig - the ole’ airhead is a trooper! My Peterborough Ontario touring group is already planning a fall trip to see the “colours” in mid-northern Ontario in late September.

My goal is to have three operational bikes ready for the move out to the new place on Sept. 15 - and only Lucille is still to be readied. Demi needs too much work to run that far - but three out of four ain’t too bad IMO.

One of the big problems of moving a home after 24 years in the same place is the huge amount of stuff you acquire. The books in my basement office took 45 U-Haul boxes to pack and each of these had to carted up a set of stairs and tomorrow, they will be loaded into a 20’ sea-can which will be delivered to our current driveway in the morning and then dropped in our new driveway in about two weeks.

The problem is that the packing process has been going on since about April (my wife is extremely efficient - and works like a dog on it) and so I have found that several key items have been packed and are now absolutely inaccessible. Earlier this week, she packed all the toilet paper and I had to root-around through several boxes to find it.

Overall, this means that doing tasks like motorcycle repairs can be a challenging operation.

Pete

Last edited:
Well Pete, you’re sure getting close! Living out of boxes is tough for sure, you’ve got some busy days ahead of you. Sounds like you’re making good progress on your bikes, you’re going to have a nice stable in your barn! I must admit I’m really looking forward to seeing Betty when it’s finished. :cool:

Back