Build Thread...Special to Cafe Bike

db6afccac70dc671b5ecf06b36b5d3f3.jpg

I wanna see this thing!

She really lit up that easily last night too - and immediately settled down to a nice 11-1200 RPM idle.

She should be a pretty nice bike once I have her cleaned up and have the newly re-painted tins installed (thanks so much Jim).

Pete

I know I'm partial because I own one, but I think '78 is a really good year. They were pretty refined by then but not all safety mandated up like the later models. Really, the only safety mandate is the auto-on headlight. This was the first year for this. But, it's simple to bypass, just unplug one wire .....

vG1TF6W.jpg

This little "trick" only works on the '78 models.

Hmmmmmm....well, I took a few minutes away from packing and taping boxes in preparation for the big move and took Betty out for a little toot last night but it didn't go well.

She started immediately (very solid starter on this old gal) and off I went but a few minutes later, she started missing badly (no backfiring) and so I turned around and brought her home. I noticed that if I back off on the throttle, she settles down and runs much better.

Shortly after I turned back, the red "Stop Lamp" light on the dash started blinking ???) and so it would appear that I have an electrical issue as well.

The bike seems to start up very easily - but then missing begins shortly after - so I am guessing a float bowl / fuel supply issue.

As for the blinking red "Stop Lamp" indicator, I have no idea what that is about - but the wiring inside the headlight bucket was a devil to get crammed in there and so I suspect that one or more connections have come adrift inside the bucket.

Suggestions welcome.....

Pete

Last edited:
The '78 Standard has the simple 3 wire light checker. The only thing it's hooked up to and monitors is the brake light, so I'd start there. Maybe it's as simple as the brake light filament burning out. But I thought the red light just came on constantly when that happened, not sure why it would be flashing.

The '78 Standard has the simple 3 wire light checker. The only thing it's hooked up to and monitors is the brake light, so I'd start there. Maybe it's as simple as the brake light filament burning out. But I thought the red light just came on constantly when that happened, not sure why it would be flashing.

Thanks 5T - I'll check the bulb. The blinking was very regular - as though that is a proper function of the module.

Well, maybe it blinks. I took mine out so I can't say for sure, lol. But the reason I did was because I switched to a LED tail light bulb and I'm pretty sure the light was on constantly after that.

Pete, remove the brake light bulb (the big one in back, not the indicator) and see if it still flashes or goes steady.
Then replace it with a new one and see what happens.

Okey dokey Sportsfans: after a loooong seven month silence on my own projects, it is time for another little update on my three young ladies:
* 1976 XS650C - the never boring and always stimulating....Lucille :yikes:;
* 1978 XS650E - the steadfast and soon-to-be-pretty in her snazzy green tins...Betty;
* 1981 XS650SH - the cafe-conversion wanna-be...Demi ('cause she's a bit mysterious and a little bigger up-top than other XS650s).

So, first Lucille: I am still trying to get a little law and order in the garage and I haven't yet located all of the charging system components that I need to put her back together. I have them...I just haven't located them yet.

On to Demi: hmmmm...everyone has been bugging me about Demi and yeah, I do have all the parts including the beautiful Cadet Blue tins that Jim painted for me and all of the other nifty cafe parts that I have been gathering for several years. However, the time and space to actually do the job have not yet come together, so she sits in pieces.

Dammit.

And now to the minor tragedy of Betty - quite minor, but bloody annoying nonetheless. I have a very busy job from which I am trying to retire, without much success unfortunately. However, I took an hour away from my dungeon last Thursday and went to the local CVMG section coffee-hour at the Canadian Transportation Museum Cafe (CTMHV.com) which is only about 10 km from our "new" place in the country. The ride was very nice, Betty was running like it was 1978 all over again and all was well with the world - until I got home and rolled her into the rather crowded garage.

I don't quite understand how it happened, but I leaned her over on the sidestand and stepped away and about 5 seconds later.....she fell over on her LH side and clipped my tractor as she fell. Here are some photos of the damage:
Betty_falls3.jpg

Betty_falls1.jpg

Betty_falls4.jpg

Gawd DAMMIT!!!!! SH!TS of HE!!

Well, as you may have gathered, the air was blue as I employed my entire "extended vocabulary" for a few seconds at this turn of events. When I cooled down I got between the JD and Betty and picked her up. I guess the frickin' sidestand wasn't fully down when I walked away....sh!t. In my 42 years of motorcycling, this is actually the first time (well maybe the second or third) that I have ever damaged one of my bikes. I have slid down a road once or twice, but aside from a rub mark on a crash guard, nothin'.

Anyhow, after sorting out the bike I came right inside and ordered the new clutch perch and a set of nice round chrome "Mickey Mouse ear" mirrors and so she'll be OK within a couple of days. The gearshift lever will be straightened and, although there was no damage at all to the tins, I am so thankful that I haven't yet put her pretty new tank and sidecovers on.

Sigh....

I do however, have good news on the pole barn project. I think that I have figured out how to navigate the building permit process and I have received positive responses from the regulatory powers. Once I have a little time to prepare a site plan, this project should begin to move forward at a decent clip. Until then, I am stuck with my garage that is crammed with all the stuff for the barn and so working on bikes takes a bit of planning. I guess it is sort of how things are done on a aircraft carrier - you have to move three planes to get one into position do a bit of work on it.

For the next 10 days however, I have been press-ganged into writing a huge proposal and so that, I am afraid, is taking my time except for checking the justa joke and Babes threads of course....

Over and out.

Pete

PS - and yes, that IS a Hogly Ferguson logo on my garage floor. HD is huge in my neck of the woods and the former owner of our home was a big fan-boy of the marque. He has that logo clear-coated right onto the floor - and an even bigger one on the front wall of the garage. The wall sticker will be coming off, but I guess I am stuck with the one on the floor....double dammit.

Last edited:
PS - and yes, that IS a Hogly Ferguson logo on my garage floor. HD is huge in my neck of the woods and the former owner of our home was a big fan-boy of the marque. He has that logo clear-coated right onto the floor - and an even bigger one on the front wall of the garage. The wall sticker will be coming off, but I guess I am stuck with the one on the floor....double dammit.
Perfect spot for burnouts... :devil:

Okey dokey Sportsfans: after a loooong seven month silence on my own projects, it is time for another little update on my three young ladies:
* 1976 XS650C - the never boring and always stimulating....Lucille :yikes:;
* 1978 XS650E - the steadfast and soon-to-be-pretty in her snazzy green tins...Betty;
* 1981 XS650SH - the cafe-conversion wanna-be...Demi ('cause she's a bit mysterious and a little bigger up-top than other XS650s).

So, first Lucille: I am still trying to get a little law and order in the garage and I haven't yet located all of the charging system components that I need to put her back together. I have them...I just haven't located them yet.

On to Demi: hmmmm...everyone has been bugging me about Demi and yeah, I do have all the parts including the beautiful Cadet Blue tins that Jim painted for me and all of the other nifty cafe parts that I have been gathering for several years. However, the time and space to actually do the job have not yet come together, so she sits in pieces.

Dammit.

And now to the minor tragedy of Betty - quite minor, but bloody annoying nonetheless. I have a very busy job from which I am trying to retire, without much success unfortunately. However, I took an hour away from my dungeon last Thursday and went to the local CVMG section coffee-hour at the Canadian Transportation Museum Cafe (CTMHV.com) which is only about 10 km from our "new" place in the country. The ride was very nice, Betty was running like it was 1978 all over again and all was well with the world - until I got home and rolled her into the rather crowded garage.

I don't quite understand how it happened, but I leaned her over on the sidestand and stepped away and about 5 seconds later.....she fell over on her LH side and clipped my tractor as she fell. Here are some photos of the damage:
View attachment 210495

View attachment 210496

View attachment 210497

Gawd DAMMIT!!!!! SH!ts of HE!!

Well, as may have gathered, the air was blue as I employed my entire "extended vocabulary" for a few seconds at this turn of events. Then I cooled down and got in between the JD and the bike and picked her up. I guess the stand wasn't fully down when I walked away....sh!t. In my 42 years of motorcycling, this is actually the first time (well maybe the second or third) that I have ever damaged one of my bikes. I have slid down a road once or twice, but aside from a rub mark on a crash guard, nothin'.

Anyhow, I came right inside and ordered the new clutch perch and a set of nice round chrome "Mickey Mouse ear" mirrors and so she's be OK within a couple of days. The gearshift will be straightened and although there was no damage at all to the tins, I am so thankful that I haven't yet put her pretty new tank and sidecovers on.

Sigh....

I do however, have good news on the pole barn project. I think that I have figured out how to navigate the building permit process and I have received positive responses from the regulatory powers. Once I have a little time to prepare a site plan, this project should begin to move forward at a decent clip. Until then, I am stuck with my garage that is crammed with all the stuff for the barn and so working on bikes takes a bit of planning. I guess it is sort of how things are done on a aircraft carrier - you have to move three planes to get one into position do a bit of work on it.

For the next 10 days however, I have been press-ganged into writing a huge proposal and so that, I am afraid, is taking my time except for checking the justa joke and Babes threads of course....

Over and out.

Pete

Glad to hear the damage to the bike wasn’t severe. I thought you were riding the retirement train already. Hopefully you’ll get that all sorted out soon.

Yeah me too, I honestly thought you had already pulled the pin. Sorry to hear about your bike doing a nosedive, I wish I could say I’ve never had that happen to me , like several times. Remind me to tell you sometime about my $1000 tip over! :doh:

. . . yes, that IS a Hogly Ferguson logo on my garage floor. HD is huge in my neck of the woods and the former owner of our home was a big fan-boy of the marque. He has that logo clear-coated right onto the floor - and an even bigger one on the front wall of the garage. The wall sticker will be coming off, but I guess I am stuck with the one on the floor . . .

John Deere tractors, not to mention XS650, literally walk all over H-D.

Back