I think the M Unit is very interesting because of it's "tunability" and simplicity to wire. Sure it has a manual - it's super easy to wire - the manual is more about programing the different features than installation. It has all the functions of relays built in as well as the "fuses". You may completely understand exactly how to run wiring on your bike but some folks simply can't (or won't) wrap their head around it. This is built for them and the people who want a more "modern" methodology. It does have a hell of a lot of features.

I don't have one and I'm not going to. But I did the research and can see it's a good product with solid uses.

Getting back to the original question by the OP...........................could you build a high tech, electronic control box, to operate your bikes electrical system? If you are an electrical engineer, or an electrical technician with lots of solid state building experience, sure you could, but why would you want to?
Simplicity to wire................I don't think so:
596A7318_1_large.jpg

Here's a thread by a member called posplayr, from a few years ago. Everyone should have a read through it, if you think going the high tech route is simple or desirable.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/solid-state-power-box-for-xs650.33037/
Be sure to read the XS650 Installation Guide.

Last edited:
RG, your pic doesn't reflect the m button integration. Remove all wiring on the left rail and replace it with 1 for config & 1 for key input.

RG, your pic doesn't reflect the m button integration. Remove all wiring on the left rail and replace it with 1 for config & 1 for key input.
The M button just eliminates some wiring from the M unit to the M button. Leaving from the M button you still have 5 or 6 wires going to devices/switches. Removes 5 or 6 wires from one location and puts the same 5 or 6 wires in another location........................not much benefit to that.

So Hyde, did you actually pay about $902 CAD for this kit, and do you believe you received value for the money you paid?

Also, could you post some pictures showing how the wiring from the M button and the button itself is stuffed into the handlebars. I'd also like to see a picture of how the wiring leaves the M unit going to all parts of the bike.

Last edited:
Retail is pretty standard at $299 USD, button $56. I got both for $400 CAD from a local custom build shop here in ON.

Not sure where $902 CAD price tag comes from, but if it was the case then no - I would not have made the purchase.

I see value in what it presents. No more fuses, digitally monitored circuits cut in a fault, auto recovery on correction, removal of relays, controls "combo'd" into the same button (start/kill, high/low beam), hazard lights, configurable flash patterns, turn timers, daytime running on the turns, alarm system (bikes go missing often in the GTA). Probably the most convenient factor is leaving all switch wires in the handlebars with only 2 leaving, 1 to ground and 1 to the munit.

Pic of button drop it into your bars, run all control wiring into the left, 1 wire on right to unit itself and a common ground. It's on the head of a 10mm wrench for size perspective.
IMG_4500.JPG

"If" I had a standard XS, would I pull out the existing components & replace with this? No. Building a custom cafe, chop or tracker? Yes, I see value all dependent on the application if you're veering away from all that is stock.

My case, everything electrical (I can get away with) is snaking through the frame deeming slim down. Do I have to run it there? Nah, up to the challenge though.

I don't get the "button", how does it mount, what is exposed? can it be used without taking your eyes off the road? Gotta say, I like the spaces between buttons on stock controls, that's why I don't understand the benefits of "programmable". Seems like the rider is the one that would need to be reprogramed.

Scott

Retail is pretty standard at $299 USD, button $56. I got both for $400 CAD from a local custom build shop here in ON.

Not sure where $902 CAD price tag comes from, but if it was the case then no - I would not have made the purchase.

I see value in what it presents. No more fuses, digitally monitored circuits cut in a fault, auto recovery on correction, removal of relays, controls "combo'd" into the same button (start/kill, high/low beam), hazard lights, configurable flash patterns, turn timers, daytime running on the turns, alarm system (bikes go missing often in the GTA). Probably the most convenient factor is leaving all switch wires in the handlebars with only 2 leaving, 1 to ground and 1 to the munit.

Pic of button drop it into your bars, run all control wiring into the left, 1 wire on right to unit itself and a common ground. It's on the head of a 10mm wrench for size perspective.
View attachment 96535

"If" I had a standard XS, would I pull out the existing components & replace with this? No. Building a custom cafe, chop or tracker? Yes, I see value all dependent on the application if you're veering away from all that is stock.

My case, everything electrical (I can get away with) is snaking through the frame deeming slim down. Do I have to run it there? Nah, up to the challenge though.
Where did the 902 CAD come from?
I went to their web site on page 1, and it states $671 USD, which converts to $902 CAD for the complete kit. I guess you did not buy the complete kit, and the custom shop gave you a good deal. Yes $400 CAD is somewhat reasonable. I would hope that no one would pay more than that.
For a custom frame, etc. it may have some value, when you are pulling wires through a frame tube.

I don't get the "button", how does it mount, what is exposed? can it be used without taking your eyes off the road? Gotta say, I like the spaces between buttons on stock controls, that's why I don't understand the benefits of "programmable". Seems like the rider is the one that would need to be reprogramed.

Scott

It's not really a button you press, it's just called a button.
Imagine all the wires from your handlebar switches. They would need to run back to the unit in order for it to tell the lights when to turn on, flashers blink, horn, starter, brakes. Instead, you connect the wires to the "button" and only one wire runs back to the unit. No mount, it just fits in the bars or headlight bucket.
It's programmable due to you being able to change the duration of the blinkers and some other stuff. You can't program it while riding.

It's not for everyone, but neither are a lot of things. It's just something someone likes and fun. My grandmother's home phone is cheap, simple and one wire, but I'd rather have my cell phone... I don't need a cell phone, but I want one.

upload_2017-3-10_19-32-43.png

Thanks littlebill, I'm starting to get the function of these components.
Motogadget-M-Switch-Mini-Revival-Cycles-002_9dcc269e-de9b-4d25-b904-3db1b498bf74_large.jpg

I can understand the desirability of an all in one switch like that. I would be interested in one with small gauge wires (for each switch instead of one wire) routed through the bars to the almost stock harness and offered for $50-$75.

Scott

With the M-button, you still need the separate switches for the lights and such. It's just a way to keep all the input wires in the bars/headlight, with only one wire going to the actual unit.

To program, you hook up a momentary button to the Configure input on the M-Unit to change the blinkers and such.

First of all, the M-unit is not 900USD. That's ridiculous. I have one on my XS and I didn't pay any where NEAR that amount. I guess I also "wasted" a bunch of money on my House of Kolor paint, too. I was going for a clean, simple look on this project. If that is what you are trying to accomplish, using the m-unit is the only way to go. It packs all the regular functions of the original bike and adds TONS MORE, rivaling modern bikes, while replacing all the relays (excluding the started relay), blinker units and fuses in a package the size of a pack of cards. Opinions saying it is a waste of money are just that.......opinions. It's not complicated nor does it add any complexity to the electrical system. It simplifies the f*** out of it, as a fatter of fact. I researched many options for miniaturizing the electrical system and this was really the only option. You program it once and then you forget about it. I didn't use the M-button, I wired the hand switches conventionally. I also shelled out the extra $$$ for the M-lock. I now have a key-less bike. All I have is a key fob about the size of a quarter that I wave in front of the transponder I have under the tail and it toggles the ignition on and off. Motogadget also sells a tiny "key" smaller than the size of a medicine capsule that you can sew into your glove or jacket sleeve so you don't even have to carry the key fob around. It allows you to program up to 3 separate "keys". It uses RFID technology and has no batteries to replace. It always makes people scratch their heads when I wave the key fob over the tail and the bike turns off. It's all pretty trick if you like that kind of stuff, and I do. A lot of the folks poo pooing the m-unit are speaking out from lack of experience with this product. My personal opinion is that it is worth every damn penny. I wanted a clean, simple look on my bike and I achieved that, with the perk of having modern, reliable, solid-state technology controlling my bike. Can you see any wiring on it? It has all the required equipment a street legal bike needs and you can't see any of it.
772A4C63-E952-4D57-AC04-B06526F21FCD.JPG

The space where all the original electronics is now nekid. All that got replaced by the M-unit and now resides under the seat. Motogadget's products are top notch. Does that come with a price tag? Of course. It's German made.......Germans make good stuff. They made the Sham-wow, LOL. It's just all in if you can justify it. As far as trying to replicate the M-unit, I would say no. It's pretty sophisticated. Why try to reinvent the wheel and they perfected it.

So, this is MY opinion, take it for what it's worth.

Last edited:
quote:
"First of all, the M-unit is not 900USD. That's ridiculous."
I think your reading comprehension is a little weak. In my post #11, I said it was $671 USD, which is directly from the sellers web site.
That's $902 CAD.
$671 USD is still about 3 times what its worth.

quote:
I think your reading comprehension is a little weak. In my post #11, I said it was $671 USD, which is directly from the sellers web site.
That's $902 CAD.
First of all, my reading comprehension is just fine, I simply made a mistake. Secondly, you are looking in the wrong place my friend. Here's one from Revival Cycles in Texas, $299. They use them in practically all of their builds. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Some may find that even $300 is too much to spend. I didn't. I was willing to spend that amount to avoid dealing with a wonky, dried out wiring harness. It fit my application perfectly and don't regret it one bit. But that's just me.
upload_2017-3-11_23-13-58.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-11_23-12-30.png
    upload_2017-3-11_23-12-30.png
    441.7 KB · Views: 367
Wow there's some hate for a product I'm Guessing they have never used,
The M Unit IMO is the only way to go if you want to minimise wireing in a custom build
I used one in my last RZ350 build and I will use one in my xS650 build.
It no way complicates wiring
Tail lights/ brake light , 1 power 1 earth
Cables running from the power unit to the headlight box ,
Thick gauge (high amp to run power)
Indicator left right 2
High low beam 2
Horn 1
Earth 1
Thin gauge wire if using Mbutton as it is just a switching wire
M button 1 ( this handles all the handle bar switches)

And not to mention you can run every thing on the bike with 4 small push buttons if you have a kick start ,
Button 1 , high low head light on off
Indicator left
Indicator right
Horn
Kill switch you can program to pretty much any combination of buttons I used right indicator and headlight both at the same time for 3 seconds
You can program indicators to auto off after a set time , hold left and right for hazard lights , you can program storbing brake lights and the such.
To say it's a 400 dollar fuse box is pretty much as far from reality as you can get.
Yes it's expensive
But it is the best custom wiring solution available for a bike period .
My XS build will be full motogadget for electrical
M-pin rear indicators ,, I wanted small because in Australia you must have indicators and they are the most un obtrusive indicators you can get
dad2d7a40b270644ee7e6eae3f0dcf62_zps5iasqad3.jpg

eff154c15197758b4a9032de2cad51d2_zpsubasndpn.jpg

M blaze handle bar end indicators for the front
Motoscop mini speedo
M unit
M button
M lock

Wow there's some hate for a product I'm Guessing they have never used,
The M Unit IMO is the only way to go if you want to minimise wireing in a custom build
I used one in my last RZ350 build and I will use one in my xS650 build.
It no way complicates wiring
Tail lights/ brake light , 1 power 1 earth
Cables running from the power unit to the headlight box ,
Thick gauge (high amp to run power)
Indicator left right 2
High low beam 2
Horn 1
Earth 1
Thin gauge wire if using Mbutton as it is just a switching wire
M button 1 ( this handles all the handle bar switches)

And not to mention you can run every thing on the bike with 4 small push buttons if you have a kick start ,
Button 1 , high low head light on off
Indicator left
Indicator right
Horn
Kill switch you can program to pretty much any combination of buttons I used right indicator and headlight both at the same time for 3 seconds
You can program indicators to auto off after a set time , hold left and right for hazard lights , you can program storbing brake lights and the such.
To say it's a 400 dollar fuse box is pretty much as far from reality as you can get.
Yes it's expensive
But it is the best custom wiring solution available for a bike period .
My XS build will be full motogadget for electrical
M-pin rear indicators ,, I wanted small because in Australia you must have indicators and they are the most un obtrusive indicators you can get
dad2d7a40b270644ee7e6eae3f0dcf62_zps5iasqad3.jpg

eff154c15197758b4a9032de2cad51d2_zpsubasndpn.jpg

M blaze handle bar end indicators for the front
Motoscop mini speedo
M unit
M button
M lock
Ooooo. I got my eye on the M-pins and want to adapt them to bar end signals.

quote:
That's $902 CAD.
thats 3 times what it's worth to you
I understand where your coming from
I could look at a IPhone and say ,, 1000 dollars that's about 10 times what it's worth ,if I thought it was just a phone, it's hard to precive value when you don't know or understand the features and functions of a product
Or simply , you have no use for a product so you don't see value in it ,

Last edited:
Back