Here are a few pictures of my M-unit and M-lock.
IMG_0238.JPG
IMG_0239.JPG
IMG_0240.JPG

Scooter...................I thought you lads installed the Moto gadget thing, so that you simplified the wiring. Your bike looks like it has more wiring than a stock bike. It also looks like you have 4 or 5 regular fuses. Wasn't this high tech device supposed to eliminate regular fuses? If new XS650 owners see that picture of your wiring, its going to scare them! If someone does just minimal wiring, it would be half what you have there.

Same question as AussiXS.......................where is the rec/reg unit? Is this bike just for shows only?

Scooter...................I thought you lads installed the Moto gadget thing, so that you simplified the wiring. Your bike looks like it has more wiring than a stock bike. It also looks like you have 4 or 5 regular fuses. Wasn't this high tech device supposed to eliminate regular fuses? If new XS650 owners see that picture of your wiring, its going to scare them! If someone does just minimal wiring, it would be half what you have there.

Same question as AussiXS.......................where is the rec/reg unit? Is this bike just for shows only?

o_O

What's with the rancor?

That looks fantastic!

Where is your regulator and rectifier?
Much to RetiredGentlemans chagrin, I have a PMA from HHB. The Reg/Rec is mounted on the underside of the seat pan in open air. Also, this bike is kick only. All starter gear, electrical and mechanical, has been removed.

Of course there are fuses. You have to protect the electronic devices. I have 3 Motogadget devices on this bike. The M-unit protects all of the regular circuits on the bike. The fuses are there to protect the devices. Don't let it bother you RG, it's not as complicated as you think. Unless, of course, you think a hula hoop is complicated, then, yeah, it's complicated. If you ask me, a stock harness looks WAYYYY scarier looking than that. And no, it's just not for shows, hell, I don't even PUT it in shows. It's only been in one so far. I built this bike to ride. I have >4000 miles on this bike in the last 2 years. I think that is pretty good considering we only have 6 months to ride in Wisconsin. In a few weeks, I'll be trailering it down to Florida for a week and then hitting the Tail of the Dragon on the trip back. So, yeah, I ride it.

Last edited:
Outta curiosity Scooter, as electrical is in my near future. Why didn't you use the mini in-lines that came with the rest of the gadgets? The fuses supplied for my speedo/m-lock are really really tiny and can be tucked to invisible. Just curious why you went this path.

Outta curiosity Scooter, as electrical is in my near future. Why didn't you use the mini in-lines that came with the rest of the gadgets? The fuses supplied for my speedo/m-lock are really really tiny and can be tucked to invisible. Just curious why you went this path.
For organization and I wanted to keep the fuses in one central location.

This whole thread just reminds me of the guy that I've read about on many forums that just bought his first bike and opens up the headlight bucket and says, " It was a rats/birds nest in there, so I ripped out the whole wiring harness and I need help to simplify the wiring". That statement always troubles me.

Scott

Last edited:
Yes there are thousands of threads, in which the guys request help in simplifying their wiring and relay interlocks. I've helped many to get their wiring and components down to the minimum, which is very little. ScooterMagoo has gone a different way, which he claims is no more complicated than a hula hoop. But if you look at his many wires, extra fuses and multiple M gadget modules, he has created an expensive and complex system, that most lads are trying to avoid.
Maybe Scooter will post a complete wiring diagram of his bike, so we can all see how simple it is.

For those who want to see it, I have attached a PDF of my wiring diagram. For some, it may seem complex. I don't see it that way. It simplified the whole process. To me what is amazing is that all that stuff shown in the diagram, all the stuff needed to keep a bike street legal, is invisible on the bike. That is the beauty of the m-unit, miniaturization. But beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder, um, I mean, beholder. And also to clarify, because RT's comprehension skills might be a little weak, at no point did I say I wanted to simplify the wiring, even though it is simple. The key word was "miniaturize" the wiring............i.e., hide it. Mission accomplished.

Attachments

• XS650 Elec Diag.pdf
    56.8 KB · Views: 453
Last edited:
Scooter, your diagram and install are clean and elegant. Perhaps more complicated than stock and especially the minimum wiring that is required to run these machines, but given the added functionality; very clean indeed.

Lets face it, most lads want to remove as much wiring and switches as possible, when they buy these bikes. Clutch switches, sidestand switches, reserve lighting relay wiring, brake failure module wiring, etc. etc.., get taken off the bike. They even remove the Safety Relay sometimes. They all dream of having that "clean" look, with no switches or wiring visible.

Pulled from another thread but along the same theme, this may be true. Most lads. But I would respectfully point out that some lads want more function from their electrical schemes. And a certain amount of complexity comes with that added function.

Now, some lads want more function and clean lines. With my mostly stock Stella, that was important to me. Added function, behind the scenes. Four of my relays fit where the regulator used to be. Two more, along with a 4way fuse block, fit where the Reserve Lighting Device was. Two more are slated for inside the headlight bucket. All buttoned up, you won't see anything but holy cow is it 'complicated'!

No way could you invisibly fit all those relays on a stripped down bike. That's where the M-unit does its thing. It may not make a minimal or stock scheme simpler, but I don't think it was meant for lads wanting stock function or less. Those minimalist lads would likely do well by looking the other way.

Pulled from another thread but along the same theme, this may be true. Most lads. But I would respectfully point out that some lads want more function from their electrical schemes. And a certain amount of complexity comes with that added function.

Now, some lads want more function and clean lines. With my mostly stock Stella, that was important to me. Added function, behind the scenes. Four of my relays fit where the regulator used to be. Two more, along with a 4way fuse block, fit where the Reserve Lighting Device was. Two more are slated for inside the headlight bucket. All buttoned up, you won't see anything but holy cow is it 'complicated'!

No way could you invisibly fit all those relays on a stripped down bike. That's where the M-unit does its thing. It may not make a minimal or stock scheme simpler, but I don't think it was meant for lads wanting stock function or less. Those minimalist lads would likely do well by looking the other way.
Well said.
If you have a chopper or brat and want to keep it simple, you can't get any simpler than this:
SimplifiedwiringPMAandhalleffectignition.jpg

Here is a relatively modern diagram, yikes!
sv650_color_wiring[1].jpg

Somewhere between the first and second diagram my bike, or any bike with an M-unit, falls.
But definitely do NOT go this direction:
circuit_diagram.png

ScooterMagoo.........................you have a very good looking bike, but your wiring diagram is the most complicated I have ever seen on an XS650. If you break down on the highway, with electrical problems, you better have your wiring diagram with you, as no motorcycle or automotive shop will be able to help you.

Quote from Scooter:
"And also to clarify, because RT's comprehension skills might be a little weak"

A little childish of you to mock my comprehension, since back in post #34, you were the one with the inability to comprehend the prices that were given in previous threads. Also in post #44, you got confused again. Let stick to the truth about who has comprehension problems. I think I know who it is.

ScooterMagoo.........................you have a very good looking bike, but your wiring diagram is the most complicated I have ever seen on an XS650. If you break down on the highway, with electrical problems, you better have your wiring diagram with you, as no motorcycle or automotive shop will be able to help you.

Quote from Scooter:
"And also to clarify, because RT's comprehension skills might be a little weak"

A little childish of you to mock my comprehension, since back in post #34, you were the one with the inability to comprehend the prices that were given in previous threads. Also in post #44, you got confused again. Let stick to the truth about who has comprehension problems. I think I know who it is.
One of my goals is to not to end up on the side of the road and I am confident I won't. Just to refresh our memories, here is the original XS650B wiring diagram.......not simple:
IMG_0242.JPG

Also, I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings.

Advantages of the stock harness are that each component has its own sub-harness and is easily disconnected from the main harness for working on the bike and troubleshooting. Each circuit has color coded wires that can be easily followed with a wiring diagram. That "nest" inside the headlight is a good place to connect the components at the front of the bike.

Just don't want newbies to think that every wiring harness should be "ripped" out, and that "nest" inside the headlight is not as confusing as it may seem at first sight.

Scott

Well, that was fun kids. I've made all the points I wanted to make, so out of respect to the OP, I will sign off. Hopefully he can glean some nuggets of information out all of this. Can we change the subject? Let's talk about something that everybody can agree upon. Let's talk about............ENGINE OIL.
Aaaaaaaaaaaand......GO!

This has been one of the most interesting threads, I've been in for a while. I think Aussi got his monies worth when he asked a simple question. A good 4 page exchange of ideas and methods is very healthy. I've learned a few things about the Moto gadget device...................enough to know that it will be sought out and bought by the geeky crowd that love to be on the leading edge of technology. Its not my cup of tea......................I bought an XS650 to keep away from the latest electronic fads.
I guess the Moto gadget devices you lads have now are obsolete, since the Blue tooth model is now available. You know you have to keep upgrading to the latest version, just the same as you have to buy the latest I-phone when they first come out.

No need to change the subject. I hope this thread carries on with updates from the lads when they buy the Blue tooth versions. I really want to hear about the first remote engine start (I guess the kick start only guys will miss out on that option) that successfully occurs from an I-phone or android. Please make a video for YouTube.

I'm in for a little fun.
The Safety Relay and the Kill Switch wiring is mixed up. First off the Safety Relay should have a brown (switched power), not a red wire.
The Kill Switch red/white wire should only go to the ignition coils.
The Safety Relay red/white wire should only go to the starter relay.

Back