Building out a work shop

Yes, all electrical had to come out.

The upside to that is all there was inside was 2 switches with lights and a plug.

This way I could get it permitted for electrical, and have the least cost involved with paying a “professional” to do it. I can build out the electrical once I finalize my layout.

So I spent most of today reinstalling all the electrical and remounting the light.

IMG_7438.jpeg

IMG_7439.jpeg

IMG_7443.jpeg

All that’s left to do is install some gutters tomorrow and I can get it signed off by the county.

Then all the real work begins… building out the interior.

I’ve drafted up a layout that I’m pretty happy with.

Hopefully I can have it signed off by mid week so I can get the epoxy floor coating down before it rains again this weekend. I was 50/50 on the flooring but decided it would be a good ideas to help keep staining the floor to a minimum.

IMG_7444.jpeg

Do I get this right ?
The people doing the welding did not do it according to the drawing and Knew there would be an inspection.?
How did the conversation go between the inspector and the welder. ?

Do I get this right ?
The people doing the welding did not do it according to the drawing and Knew there would be an inspection.?
How did the conversation go between the inspector and the welder. ?

When it comes to these metal building there is a lot of moving pieces…

You buy from a dealer (Florida), who then sends you to the manufacturer (Texas), who then has their contracted plant/fabricator and installers (California) in your region make your building.

The trusses, bottom rails and roll up support are the pieces with welding and are welded off site and assembled on site.

In order for me to get it permitted the welding must be done by a county certified welder, which is not possible in this case, or inspected by a county certified welding inspector. He basically makes sure that the welds are per the drawings.

Information about the welds actually being inspected probably never made it to the fabrication shop. I’m sure a lot of information gets lost between the three parties.

I am not sure how they were not done to spec. I can only assume they don’t deal with permitting/welding inspections all that often and maybe the fab team just built it to their “standard” build spec and not permitted/engineered drawings that meet above and beyond building specs.

Needless to say, Im sure it’s an expensive lesson learned on their part.

Yes, all electrical had to come out.

The upside to that is all there was inside was 2 switches with lights and a plug.

This way I could get it permitted for electrical, and have the least cost involved with paying a “professional” to do it. I can build out the electrical once I finalize my layout.

So I spent most of today reinstalling all the electrical and remounting the light.

View attachment 262537
View attachment 262538
View attachment 262539

All that’s left to do is install some gutters tomorrow and I can get it signed off by the county.

Then all the real work begins… building out the interior.

I’ve drafted up a layout that I’m pretty happy with.

Hopefully I can have it signed off by mid week so I can get the epoxy floor coating down before it rains again this weekend. I was 50/50 on the flooring but decided it would be a good ideas to help keep staining the floor to a minimum.

View attachment 262540
Wow that was quick. Glad to see it’s up again. Finishing the inside will be a fun project. Not to the scale of your workshop, but when I did mine 1-1/4 years ago, I wad advised to install lots of electrical outlets. I did that but in hindsight I should have put in more, especially 220V outlets.

So as soon as the county signs off (4-6 months as we move quick around here haha!) I’ll be pouring the foundation and finally getting my workshop up and running.

30x30 with 12ft walls.

So, the question is what are the things that make your work shop an enjoyable place to be??

Successful shelving??

I know for certain I will have an area with my lathe and mill set up, a bike stand (or two) to work on projects.

The back 10ft will have a loft 7ft up for general storage.

I would like to have a 10-12ft work bench on wheels that will live in the center of the shop and another work bench running 20 or so feet across one side wall.

Hit me with any and all tips or ideas??

I’ve spent the last 5 years working out of small little barns/sheds so it’s time to set it all up proper.
The only thing in my shop that isn't on casters are my pedestal mounted bench grinders and 18" sanding disc. Helps with clean up and when I get a hare brained idea to "rearrange" stuff. Lots of lights and lots of lights. One more thing, lots of lights.

The only thing in my shop that isn't on casters are my pedestal mounted bench grinders and 18" sanding disc. Helps with clean up and when I get a hare brained idea to "rearrange" stuff. Lots of lights and lots of lights. One more thing, lots of lights.
Something that really comes in handy are a few cord reels on the ceiling. Then no need for extension cords

^^^This!^^^

Even my 4 post vehicle lift has removable casters and can be moved anywhere I want to....always good to leave options open.

Finally got a final sign off by the county and I’m good to start building it out.

Started with the floors this morning. I etched them with muriatic acid last week and rolled them today.

Now I can start building out the storage loft and getting things set up inside.

IMG_7795.jpeg
IMG_7805.jpeg
IMG_7806.jpeg

Looks awesome! Congratulations.🎉🎉🎉🎉 I can foresee lots of cool projects coming out of that space!

It’s funny. It’s been such a project just getting it to this point and much more to get it set up, it’s hard to even think about projects in it. If you build it - they will come, I suppose.

Back