Building out a work shop

There are lots of garage/workshop set-up tips here: Garage Journal. You'll also find our old XS650 friend Coconut Pete hanging out there.
I have an 1,100 sq ft. garage but am slow-motion building a 22x19 steel building for storage.

I gave the forum a quick look around. Looks like some good stuff on there. I’ll have to spend some more time lookin around.

Thanks.

I gave the forum a quick look around. Looks like some good stuff on there. I’ll have to spend some more time lookin around.

Thanks.
Beware GJ, it sucks you in.
You end up looking at all the neato ideas people have for storage and stuff and before you know it, you're attempting to do the same.
And then you just get awfully annoyed at the marble-like garage floors that look like nobody's ever spilled a drop of oil on them.
Or maybe that's just me.

Last edited:
The "lean-to" or eye-brow - I used an old aluminum garage door. (on one side over a roll-up door) These are hazmat in my area, as our masters claim to fear that we may have lead paint on said old door, and they must be tested so de gubnerz second cousin gets paid. Anyway, they can be got, ask around. They also fly away easy - and may need truss or latice-beam (rebar) Pour a good bit of concrete. Best!

Beware GJ, it sucks you in.
You end up looking at all the neato ideas people have for storage and stuff and before you know it, you're attempting to do the same.
And then you just get awfully annoyed at the marble-like garage floors that look like nobody's ever spilled a drop of oil on them.
Or maybe that's just me.

Like those with a clean truck bed… haha! A life I could never live.

The "lean-to" or eye-brow - I used an old aluminum garage door. (on one side over a roll-up door) These are hazmat in my area, as our masters claim to fear that we may have lead paint on said old door, and they must be tested so de gubnerz second cousin gets paid. Anyway, they can be got, ask around. They also fly away easy - and may need truss or latice-beam (rebar) Pour a good bit of concrete. Best!

Plan is run another slab next to the shed and use 6x6 posts with a galvanized roof to match the shed. That’s a ways down the road so we’ll see when we get to that point.

IMG_5912.jpeg

I finally got my permit! Was a struggle but it’s good.

They are making me severely over engineer this whole thing but in the end it’ll be worth it.

We gotta over-excavate, so digging starts Monday. If it stays on track building should be up in January.

Gotta get back thinking through ideas.

View attachment 255868

I finally got my permit! Was a struggle but it’s good.

They are making me severely over engineer this whole thing but in the end it’ll be worth it.

We gotta over-excavate, so digging starts Monday. If it stays on track building should be up in January.

Gotta get back thinking through ideas.
Permit!! What part of USSR ? Oh brother...what times!

I have industrial storage rack at the back of my garage. It’s great stuff and holds a lot of weight. There’s wire mesh shelves on each level plus 1/2” plywood to keep small stuff from falling through. Can usually be sourced cheap in the used market.

View attachment 256075

I’ve been on the look out for them the last few months at the local warehouse auctions. Defiantly on the list.

Back