(Building tribute to my late dad) - Is the XS650 up to it?

Jeeter

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Streettracker and Soul Healer.

Hi. I'm in the midst of designing a bike project that reflects my rocky relationship with my step dad of 30+ years. He died in 1999 on his 69th birthday (cancer, other stuff).

He raced Class C (AMA flat track) in the 50s and 60s, mostly confined to the southern California region (Ascot, Perris, and so on). We spent many a Friday night at Ascot (I saw two men die there before I was 13), followed by Saturday nights spectating at the Costa Mesa Speedway races. Our best times there were during the early/mid 70s ... the Roberts era. Man, the conversations and heated debates over the Triumphs/HDs/Nortons vs "them damned Jap bikes" (Roberts on his Yamahas) we had would carry on into the late nights, piles of Cycle News laying about.

For this bike I had originally intended to use a Sportster engine (mainly due to the piles upon piles of aftermarket parts and engine support items and tech out there for it). But when I contacted the frame builder about this project, my intentions, budget, and so on, he strongly recommended that I "take a long hard look at the Yamaha XS650". His suggestion had to do with handling issues (according to him, the HD engine's basic shape and weight distribution isn't as well suited for my uses as the XS650 engine is. The HD engine would make the bike too nose heavy with too much bias up front .. in the particular frame I'm using in the application I am applying it to. In some other application the frame I'm using combined with the Sportster engine may be the dog's balls. But for my situation he suggested the Yamaha over the HD.). I mean since he's been racing and building frames since the 1950s I figure he knows what he is speaking about.

I'm not wealthy, I'm your basic military vet, at the lower end of the lower middle class (the what? :wink2:). So I can come up with the needed money along the way for this, but I do not have a lot of disposable cash. That said, the Yamaha seems to be most certainly less costly than any HD engine! So there's a plus.

Ok, so there's the essentials. On paper the Yamaha engine is a great choice for this project, considering the amount of heat generated between my dad and I over that engine in the 70s. (Ironically I started racing in 1972, on Yamahas. By 1973 after having seen me succeed on them, and having had test ridden my race bikes a few times, even HE was riding Yamahas and even sold his two Triumphs in favor of "them damned Jap bikes" Haahaa!). So with the rest of the combination of components and design elements along with the Yamaha engine, this bike will serve me well to remind me of the good times he and I shared. So when I tend to focus the bad shit (and there was a lot of that) I'll always have that bike to remind me that our relationship was pretty golden when we were on the bikes. Somehow we were great friends and great rivals when we were on the bikes or even just spectating at races. About the only time things were good between us was when it had something to do with the bikes. For some reason at this time in my life (53) the bad crap has tended to surface quite a bit. Long quieted memories scream for attention sometimes these days. This bike will be good for me (hoping).

So, what is it that I need from you folks at the moment? Well, while I have some experience building bikes I am essentially a gnoobhole on the XS650 engine, other than the "wiki" level information on the engine since the late 60s. My largest concerns involve aftermarket support, core availability, and inherent engine design issues that I should be made aware of. I've already lived through the hell of getting neck deep into a bike project only to learn that items like engine bearings and cams were out of production and becoming very difficult to locate. Ignition "ignitors" were also unavailable (80's bikes ... shees!).

So a few encouraging words would help before I begin sink that rarest of elements into this project (Mondo Casholeum). I plan on ordering the frame in a week or so. Then if all is a "go" the hunt for the engine begins.

Thanks for your help. :)

Jeeter.

well youll get nothing but slant here being an xs members fourm. but you came to the right place. good luck with the build. aftermarket parts are there. there is a huge following for this bike, youll have no problems. plenty of mods if you do. rephase and 750cc are a few examples

From your info, the XS650 will be ideal. Support (moral technical and parts) for the XS is probably the best of any engine out there. This forum alone puts it in the top 10% of any old bike to own. Go do it, use the XS650 you won't regret it. If you are going to run it hard, the current wisdom is to weld the crank journals.

Thanks so much for the encouraging words! I've become a bit leary of jumping in to some of these retro projects due to dwindling availability of decent core parts (cases, other castings, and so on). However the XS650 seems to be an exception, my wife's research revealed that there were about a 1/4 million units sold from beginning to end of the XS650 run. That's good news. And the frame builder (Jerry Cheney) believes the Yamaha engine to be one of the most rebuildable engines ever designed. Myself, I already love the 100% ball/roller/needle bearing design of the engine.

Thanks again for giving me a bit of a push. Sorry I did not make myself available to participate in the thread, my wife and I have been battling that stupid flu-thing that half the USA is ill with. Some days ya just don't feel like even turning the computer on, let alone being social. :)

Ok, so I guess I'm off on this journey. I'll need to start by learning if there are prefered years of manufacture and then begin locating the proper stuff. I still don't know if I am going to start with cases, a crank, a head and then go aftermarket with everything else -- or if I'm going to attempt to locate a running engine first and build-up a 2nd engine with all the trick stuff done that applies well to my application. I've already done some sniffing around, I see that Wiseco offers some great piston kits (among other stuff). Full-on gasket kits are easy peasy. There seem to be some great carb kits from Mikuni for the XS650 that include intake boots, air filters, and a throttle cable (the good old Mikuni round slide, hard to beat that one for street use!). Ignition upgrades also seem to be plentiful as far as I can tell. All the stuff that my last project bike had zero access to! I've also been told that engine bearings are all within the Timkin catalog as standard bearing numbers. That's some excellent news as well. I would guess there are any number of shops doing tranny undercuts, Nikasil cylinder plating, and so on as well. I've located stuff like brand new con-rods (I think they are aftermerket). So there seems to be plenty of stuff to support this project very well for a long time. I'll also need to learn about where the ~better~ engine shops are (read "trustworthy") to get the heavy machining done (if needed).

Ugh ..... another bike project. :) The excitement builds!

Great forum, I think I picked the right place. :) Thanks for having me.

:)

Thanks again. Be well.

Generally for a build like this Use a 74-83 engine. After that, completeness and condition. Please do a build thread, sounds like you will be an asset here.

Generally for a build like this Use a 74-83 engine. After that, completeness and condition. Please do a build thread, sounds like you will be an asset here.

Thank you. :)

Count on the project thread, I'm a picture freak so it will most likely be loaded with images.

All I'm working out is some insurance issues. We're trying to figure out if it will be best to buy an XS650 headstock with clear title then use the VIN on the new frame when the frame is built (the original headstock may either be retained for posterity or be destroyed so there is only one headstock tube with that VIN on it in existance). So once we work out if it will be best to register it as a new 2014 build or a 197? rebuild we'll order the frame and begin the project thread. :)

No need to consider nik cylinders. 700cc is doable with stock liners, 750 with overbore liners. It seems general consensus is 62 maybe 65 hp is attainable with long engine life, and upwards of that you start reducing engine life considerably.

Thank you. :)

Count on the project thread, I'm a picture freak so it will most likely be loaded with images.

All I'm working out is some insurance issues. We're trying to figure out if it will be best to buy an XS650 headstock with clear title then use the VIN on the new frame when the frame is built (the original headstock may either be retained for posterity or be destroyed so there is only one headstock tube with that VIN on it in existance). So once we work out if it will be best to register it as a new 2014 build or a 197? rebuild we'll order the frame and begin the project thread. :)

Welcome aboard Jeeter, you will find all the help you need here I'm sure. Looking forward to seeing your thread.
Yamimoto

welcome jeeter,with you and your dads background it will be intresting to see what you come up with.good luck with the build.(the cheney frame sounds to be a good start)

Hey Jeeter get the crank welded, for racing that is a must.
Check out 650 central, hoos racing, Hughs handbuilt just to name a few.
Some where I have schematics for racing exhaust. I'll look for them.

No need to consider nik cylinders. 700cc is doable with stock liners, 750 with overbore liners. It seems general consensus is 62 maybe 65 hp is attainable with long engine life, and upwards of that you start reducing engine life considerably.
Crankshaft, countershaft, or rear tire?

I'll assume it's at the crank for the moment.

62bhp ... hmmm ... that's pretty good considering the weight of the engine. I'm hoping to keep the bike at around 350 pounds wet (hopefully even less). Let's see .... without a rider I think that works out to roughly 5.65 pounds per hp .... wow ... that's damned commendable! Toss a 175 lb rider on the bike (525 pounds total wet weight) and power to weight ratio looks to be roughly 8.46 pounds per 1 hp. Holy crap, that is very exciting.

Ok, I'm basically amped out of my mind about this project by this point. I'll be revealing exactly what I have on the sketchpad soon. Hopefully it will be just as unusual as it will be appropriate. Just a couple more little details to work out to be sure about what I'm doing here then I'll start a project thread. At first the thread won't have much but a general "design brief" of the proposed bike and a few other details. I am always open to suggestions and would appreciate being told if I am about to ride off of a cliff.

8.46:1 ...... far out. With that kinda p:w, combined with a 55" wheelbase and a (roughly) 525 pound total wet weight (including rider) this papers out to be one fun scooter.

:)

Sounds like a great idea, a sons tribute... commendable bro... :thumbsup:
More power to ya!

How 'bout a euro 533 long rod conversion.

....or better yet, 533 rods + 80mm 447 pistons and a 5mm cylinder base spacer plate :thumbsup::thumbsup:!!

Trying to build a bike 1 piece at a time will cost more money. The time finding parts is time you could use building. Since money is a factor. The custom Cheney frame is not needed. Use the Money to buy a bike with title and motor plus you get the suspension and the parts for a completed bike.

Trying to build a bike 1 piece at a time will cost more money. The time finding parts is time you could use building. Since money is a factor. The custom Cheney frame is not needed. Use the Money to buy a bike with title and motor plus you get the suspension and the parts for a completed bike.
Excellent points, one and all.

:thumbsup:

That is very good advise, and especially so for the inexperienced builder. But sometimes there are no alternatives when needing to comply with certain ideas. When I start the project thread I think it may become more clear why I am chosing certain avenues.

But you are absolutely correct, it is more efficient to start with a running bike than it is to piece together a bike one part at a time. However, sometimes we don't have that luxury ;) stay tuned.

Sounds like a great idea, a sons tribute... commendable bro... :thumbsup:
More power to ya!

How 'bout a euro 533 long rod conversion.

....or better yet, 533 rods + 80mm 447 pistons and a 5mm cylinder base spacer plate :thumbsup::thumbsup:!!
Yea, I gotta smart-up on the engine mods pretty soon. From what I gather after just a couple of days of sniffing around, the XS650 offers a very wide variety of various mod setups. Great stuff!

Ok, I got the answers I needed from both DMV and my insurance company regarding this bike. So it looks like we are GO.

All systems check, T-minus nine (and all of that). I'll get the project thread started tonight. It is ON! :)

Back