Busted fork cap, 1977

xs650newb

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I busted the cap to the fork tube on the right fork on my 1977. It is the type with the pre-load adjustment.

I'm going to use a combination of heat, a chisel, and a bfh to get it loose tomorrow but once it is removed its definitely going to be all buggered up and not re-useable.

It looks like I can get new fork caps from MikesXS. He seems to sell two types for the 1977.

They are #27-4003 and #27-4004. Neither has an adjustable pre-load and but it looks like the #27-4004 gives a bit more pre-load on the springs because it sticks down into the fork tube.

Is that correct? I'd like to stiffen up the front suspension so if I am right that would be awesome BUT if I ever go with heavier front springs am I going to regret not getting the 27-4003?

Best,
Adam

Hi newb,
unless you owned that '77 from new you don't know that it wasn't re-forked by a PO.
First, I'd pull the other fork cap and see which type that one is (POs can do weird stuff)
Then I'd look for an exact replacement for the cap that you have, never mind what year it is.

Interesting point but I've looked for the correct style cap on Ebay but none are available. This is currently preventing me from riding because the forks currently don't have oil.

Best,
Adam

'77 forks didn't have the adjustable preload caps, just the plain ones like Mike's 4003 replacement. If yours has them, they were added or maybe the whole fork was swapped. Instead of spending $40 on just a couple caps, I'd be more inclined to put that money towards a whole 'nother set of forks. Here's one that says they're '77 but the caps say later type. They're "or best offer" so I'd offer the guy $25 and then with shipping, they wouldn't cost much more really than just those new caps.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-Yamaha...amaha|Model:XS650&hash=item35dd8b7155&vxp=mtr

The tubes are shot but the lowers look good and all the internal parts are probably fine as well.

Hey 5twins,

I forgot to mention that I swapped forks about 1 month ago. So yeah, those forks aren't actually the 1977 year.

Other than this stupid fork cap these forks are great. Polished, no leaks, etc. So I'm not willing to purchase a whole new set of forks and worry about leaks, rebuilds, and polishing again.

I think I've learned what I needed to know, however.

If I want to stick with the stock 1977 fork caps I can get the 4003 part number. If I want fork caps that will give a bit more pre-load then I can go with 4004. Is that correct?

By the way, thanks for taking the time to respond AND go on ebay and part search for me. :)

best,
Adam

Did you loosen the pinch bolt before attempting to remove the cap? Caps are basically impossible to remove when the bolts are tight. If you use the 77 cap you will need to add a spacer above the spring to make up for the difference in cap length 1" pvc pipe works fine to make spacers.

I didn't necessarily mean replacing your whole current set, just use the eBay set for the parts you need.

Back