Buying a 1978 xs650 on Tuesday. Need guidance!

SattyJ

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone! New to the forum here.

I’m buying a 1978 xs650 on Tuesday and was wondering what I should be looking for since this is my second season and I don’t have much buying experience.

I’m coming from a 1982 Honda Cm250 and the guys I bought it from treating the thing pretty badly. I took it in and got it running and it was a great little bike for my first season but it was too small for me ergonomically and I wanted a bigger bike because I hate riding in the city and would prefer to do longer trips into the country on weekends.

I’ve been looking at this bike for a while now and when I saw one for a reasonable price I jumped! I’m really excited about it and I have some experience of what to look out for, but.

Are there any problems with this bike that I should look out for?

I’ll provide some pictures. It looks really clean. Chrome is in great condition and I’ve spoken to the guy about recent service.

Just looking for some insight into this bike!

P.s. based on my research it looks like a 1979 and not a 1978 but I could be wrong.

P.p.s. Sorry for the long post!
IMG_20230528_130516_01.JPGIMG_20230528_130528_01.JPGF26330E0-C409-464F-80FA-031712534D20.jpeg

Not to be discouraging, but for a one year rider, a later model mid size machine with fuel injection and computer ignition might be less maintenence and more reliable.

There's only one way to learn, and that's to take it on and get your hands dirty.
If you dragged the little Honda back from the grave, it probably set you up well for routine maintenance tasks on this - not that there's any real biggies on a daily basis.

Looks clean. from your pictures I see the PO has upgraded to stainless brake lines, which is good. Also looks like someone has been into the motor before. I say this as it appears to be a green Athena cylinder base gasket. Not saying it is good or bad, just an observation.

Hello Everyone! New to the forum here.

I’m buying a 1978 xs650 on Tuesday and was wondering what I should be looking for since this is my second season and I don’t have much buying experience.

I’m coming from a 1982 Honda Cm250 and the guys I bought it from treating the thing pretty badly. I took it in and got it running and it was a great little bike for my first season but it was too small for me ergonomically and I wanted a bigger bike because I hate riding in the city and would prefer to do longer trips into the country on weekends.

I’ve been looking at this bike for a while now and when I saw one for a reasonable price I jumped! I’m really excited about it and I have some experience of what to look out for, but.

Are there any problems with this bike that I should look out for?

I’ll provide some pictures. It looks really clean. Chrome is in great condition and I’ve spoken to the guy about recent service.

Just looking for some insight into this bike!

P.s. based on my research it looks like a 1979 and not a 1978 but I could be wrong.

P.p.s. Sorry for the long post!
View attachment 244303View attachment 244304View attachment 244302
Check the dates on the tires, listen for a noisy cam chain and valves, check drive chain and sprockets. Brake fluid change and oil change and I'm sure others more well versed than I will chime in. Simple bikes and you have come to the right place for info. Congrats!!!

78 or 79 makes no difference. They’re essentially the same.

The charging rotor is the Achilles Heel of the XS650. It will leave you on the side of the road with an inoperative alternator and a totally flat battery. If your “new” bike has the original rotor in it, it’s not a matter of if it will fail but when. Have it rewound before you venture far, then you can put it out of your mind. I have 21 years on a rewind so far. Two more rewinds in the mail to me from @Jim.

The XS650 requires regular maintenance, but once you figure it out, the bike is reliable as a stone. I bought a new one in 1983, now with 65,000 miles on it. I’ll ride it anywhere.

Looks like a well kept bike ..Probably a person that is taking care of Maintenance ..
Talk to the man listen to the talk.
I would ask permission to check charging output across the battery so it is charging
Cold start watching if there is smoke and listening for sounds on both sides .

Clocks looks painted This is far better looking than the ones I have bought
I would look at the Odometer .. and looking for a low mileage machine.

Determining the price more than looks --- above 22000 miles I would start Doubt buying
But here someone spotted another base gasket so it probably has gone more than that

Not to be discouraging, but for a one year rider, a later model mid size machine with fuel injection and computer ignition might be less maintenence and more reliable.

I do love these old machines but believe me if I could afford a new bike I would buy one for sure. I also wanted to learn how to work on an older machine as I have an appreciation for these older bikes!

78 or 79 makes no difference. They’re essentially the same.

The charging rotor is the Achilles Heel of the XS650. It will leave you on the side of the road with an inoperative alternator and a totally flat battery. If your “new” bike has the original rotor in it, it’s not a matter of if it will fail but when. Have it rewound before you venture far, then you can put it out of your mind. I have 21 years on a rewind so far. Two more rewinds in the mail to me from @Jim.

The XS650 requires regular maintenance, but once you figure it out, the bike is reliable as a stone. I bought a new one in 1983, now with 65,000 miles on it. I’ll ride it anywhere.
Good to know! Ya Ive had to be pretty diligent with maintenance as my old Honda CHEWS through oil.

Looks like a well kept bike ..Probably a person that is taking care of Maintenance ..
Talk to the man listen to the talk.
I would ask permission to check charging output across the battery so it is charging
Cold start watching if there is smoke and listening for sounds on both sides .

Clocks looks painted This is far better looking than the ones I have bought
I would look at the Odometer .. and looking for a low mileage machine.

Determining the price more than looks --- above 22000 miles I would start Doubt buying
But here someone spotted another base gasket so it probably has gone more than that
Sorry I'm not familiar with the term "doubt buying"! and I figured with these older bike 26000km isn't too bad.

Are you saying that you think the engine was rebuilt? and is a new base gasket an indication of that?

I do love these old machines but believe me if I could afford a new bike I would buy one for sure. I also wanted to learn how to work on an older machine as I have an appreciation for these older bikes!
Keep in mind this bike will have some demand on your wallet. You should expect some maintenance items have gone undone.

The engine could have been apart for a number of reasons. It doesn't necesarily mean it's been rebuilt though. These bikes are also notorious for the cam chain guides failing and coming apart. The tell tale sign of that is little black "plastic" pieces in your filters. It may also just be how the pictures appear. If the base gasket is green, then it is made by Athena and is an aftermarket item. Factory gaskets were black. Ask the seller for any info if he was in the motor, but I wouldn't necessarily believe what he tells you either.

The engine could have been apart for a number of reasons. It doesn't necesarily mean it's been rebuilt though. These bikes are also notorious for the cam chain guides failing and coming apart. The tell tale sign of that is little black "plastic" pieces in your filters. It may also just be how the pictures appear. If the base gasket is green, then it is made by Athena and is an aftermarket item. Factory gaskets were black. Ask the seller for any info if he was in the motor, but I wouldn't necessarily believe what he tells you either.
Ya that's fair enough. I'll make sure to make a note of that.

I asked the guy about the tires and he sent me some photos of the tread. said there were only about 600km on them. ill attach them here.

Attachments

• IMG_20230528_130932_01.jpg
    IMG_20230528_130932_01.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20230528_130932_02.jpg
    IMG_20230528_130932_02.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 42
Sorry I'm not familiar with the term "doubt buying"! and I figured with these older bike 26000km isn't too bad.

Are you saying that you think the engine was rebuilt? and is a new base gasket an indication of that?
Sorry about the Language
Point is .A bad looking bike with dents an rust with low miles can keep you better running at lower costs ( if that matters )
than a high mileage one that looks good.
Many here on the forum are more or less experts and have the tools and place + time to do it . + money to do it
Back in the day maintenance was not a High prioritized item here by all . Many was not planning to keep the bike
And shop time for service was expensive . Warm up was not heard of.

And I was thinking in Miles .26 000 km is good 26 000 miles and it is worse not saying it is bad.
But worst case few oil changes and an ON / OFF riding style There can be problems or come sooner .

If one can avoid splitting the engine it is a plus the exterior or electrics I find simpler to fix than
Pull out the motor and split the cam chain and so on Costs money in parts gaskets and other.
A cylinder head job around $ 300 --400
Crank $ 600 --800 should it be necessary
This is old machines as mentioned by Mr Jetmech

Keep in mind this bike will have some demand on your wallet. You should expect some maintenance items have gone undone.

See if the seller has the centre stand still. They are so handy to have.

I asked the guy about the tires and he sent me some photos of the tread. said there were only about 600km on them. ill attach them here.
Judging by the nubs, he's prolly correct about the mileage, but that's only half the story. On the sidewall is an oval with 4 numbers in it. The first two are week and the second two are year of manufacture. For instance the one below was made in the 10th week of 2017. You'll want to be leery of tires that are more than about 5yrs old. They'll easily go past that, but if you don't know their history, you'll be rolling the dice.
Heat and UV light are big killers of tires. Tires in a hot climate will be about used up at 5 yrs. Tires kept outside (in the driveway) will be exposed to a lot of UV light... and pretty much done after 4 or 5 yrs.
The tires on my bike are so old, you guys would freak out if I told ya how old.... :wink2:... but I know their history, when they were mounted and how they were stored, so I have no problem running with 'em. But as I said, if you don't know the age and the history, you're rollin' the dice.

On the other hand, new tires ain't that expensive, just make sure the selling price reflects their age.

1685674345486.png

Back