BUYING a BIKE

member3480

RICH
Reaction score
I get a lot of questions on what to look for or what to ask when buying a bike. So I am going to give you my two cents and I know there are others on here that will fill in the blanks that I left.
First it doesn't really matter what the seller is telling you because YOU are going to be the NEW OWNER and now its your problem. I never listen to what the seller has to say because I already have in my mind what I am going to do with it. TIRES PAINT PIPES SEAT FENDERS don't faze me because I may be changing all of them. I look at how clean some details are so I know if the owner took care of the bike or just rode the hell out of it. FIRST I look at the chain and brakes for grime plus I look at the sprockets for uneven wear. You can always pull a pug at look at it but there are so many tricks that can be done to a motor to make it appear its healthy. Now for me most of the bikes I buy I cut up so I am a little different than you. Now for someone that knows nothing first thing to do is sit on bike rock it back and forth in each gear (bad trans will show right away) GRAP the front brake and push on it bad seals or weak springs will fell soft not hard. Crank motor without plugs to see if number one trick was done (oil in cyl) to build compression. Start bike and if you can put hand over carb and see if it sucks hard or not (should pull you hand). Bring a flash light and look down the oil fill. I have done this and also used a magnet and pulled up metal. I think I have seen it all or they tried and maybe I still bought it but at a lower price and LAST THE BIGGIE look at TITLE number and make sure it matches number for number I have had bikes tried to be passed to me that the first 4 numbers match but the last two don't. I had a $1200 deal on two bikes complete and both had bad titles so I bought them for $800 for parts.
Riding a bike does not always show the flaws and know what you are getting into and how much you have in your budget to spend to fix the bad.
GOOD LUCK:thumbsup:
Can always contact me at DADDYGCYCLES@YAHOO.COM
Rich

Back