Buying motorcycle gear online. Are the good times really over?

Mailman

Hardly a Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Most all of the riding gear I own was purchased online at companies like Revzilla, Dennis Kirk, Rocky Mountain ATV, JP Cycles and others. I have bought helmets, jackets gloves and boots with the confidence of knowing that if it didn’t fit or I just didn’t like it, they offered free returns.
F4F8E1FC-C95B-4372-8BD3-FFFCCB3760D1.jpeg
And I have returned items for just those reasons. This week my favorite short boots that I have had for years fell apart. So I went on Revzilla and found a pair that I thought would work and ordered them. When they arrived, I didn’t like them, they were so rigid and heavy they just felt like cement. So I went into my account to start the return process, only this time there was a surprise.
Sure they’ll take them back no problem, all I had to do was pay $8.00 to print out a return label. :umm: Hmmm never had to do that before.

So I started checking around on all the major sellers. Most still offer free shipping for anything over a certain dollar amount. But the return policies have been tightened up. Some make you pay the full amount to ship them back ( the $8.00 I paid wouldn’t cover actual shipping costs )

Some will offer a one time free return for an exchange if an item doesn’t fit . But mostly the days of free , no fault, guaranteed returns seem to be over. And buying riding gear just got a little riskier. For me…..I paid $8 To look at a pair of boots for about 10 minutes.
Buyer beware.

After that I decided to buy a pair of Wolverine work boots from a local store. :shrug:

Under UK legislation, and covered by consumer law, when you by 'online' you are 'Buying at distance'.
This means you are entitled to return goods of any value, for any reason, no questions asked.
Some retailers offer free returns; others do not, and the return costs range from a nominal sum to the full shipping cost at your expense.
I recently bought a carpet runner described as 'black' for £400. It arrived and was dark blue, so I returned it; £15.00 shipping insured.
Always read the return policy on the site before committing to buy. Same advise for eBay sellers.

I also think the prices is up on used parts for the Yamaha
I bought parts in England and Germany there were private persons breaking bikes and selling parts.
in Germany
A dented tank in Germany 15 Euro or maybe 25 Euro + freight

Cheapest currently on e - bay around 200 euro with freight
Maybe no one pays that but that is what they are asking
I have not looked for parts for a couple of years
But it is many times a zero after the price 10 - 15 years ago.

When it comes to clothing I use army Leather boots and leather jackets ( Not Army ) they never wear out.
Work boots is also OK
I have a goatskin jacket since 85 .. Still working as it should.
Amazing really. I these days have other leather jackets bought on flea markets and so.

Speaking of boots the French have something worth check out

https://elliottmilitary.com/product/french-ranger-boots/

Those are Used but you can probably find new ones or could find at army surplus.
at French sites.
Those are good in winter also.
Those will also be difficult to wear out.

1667144513641.png

Last edited:
I like these:
View attachment 228806
Timberland Pro # 26038. They met all the criteria for work, and just a great all around boot. Steel toe, insulated, well defined heel, over-the-ankle protection, etc.

Exactly! Those are some solid looking boots! These are the Wolverine Floorhand boots I ordered, non insulated ( don’t really need them to be where I live )
4B902491-7027-4F54-878C-9A1EB6BA2ABA.jpeg

I like these:
View attachment 228806
Timberland Pro # 26038. They met all the criteria for work, and just a great all around boot. Steel toe, insulated, well defined heel, over-the-ankle protection, etc.
I think that's pretty much the same boot I wear on the bike. Got one pair I've been using for a few years plus a spare pair waiting their turn still in the box.

Most all of the riding gear I own was purchased online at companies like Revzilla, Dennis Kirk, Rocky Mountain ATV, JP Cycles and others. I have bought helmets, jackets gloves and boots with the confidence of knowing that if it didn’t fit or I just didn’t like it, they offered free returns.
View attachment 228622
And I have returned items for just those reasons. This week my favorite short boots that I have had for years fell apart. So I went on Revzilla and found a pair that I thought would work and ordered them. When they arrived, I didn’t like them, they were so rigid and heavy they just felt like cement. So I went into my account to start the return process, only this time there was a surprise.
Sure they’ll take them back no problem, all I had to do was pay $8.00 to print out a return label. :umm: Hmmm never had to do that before.

So I started checking around on all the major sellers. Most still offer free shipping for anything over a certain dollar amount. But the return policies have been tightened up. Some make you pay the full amount to ship them back ( the $8.00 I paid wouldn’t cover actual shipping costs )

Some will offer a one time free return for an exchange if an item doesn’t fit . But mostly the days of free , no fault, guaranteed returns seem to be over. And buying riding gear just got a little riskier. For me…..I paid $8 To look at a pair of boots for about 10 minutes.
Buyer beware.

After that I decided to buy a pair of Wolverine work boots from a local store. :shrug:
I usually support my local mom & pop store, Open Road Leathers, in Jacksonville Fl. They are priced the same as J&P or Dennis Kirk, and at least some of the money stays local. Some stuff, like hard parts, I have no local alternative, but I try to do my best to support my neighbors. Personally, I despise the corporate beast and what they've done to the small retailer. One thing you can count on, you will NEVER see an Amazon truck on my property. Just my $.02 worth.

I like my Mongrel boots. A work boot with a high leg and steel cap. Protection for the ankle in case of a spill and lower leg in the cold. Never twisted an ankle in these either come close but the high boot supports it. As a work/leisure boot they suit my feet. Spent so much time growing up without footwear my feet are as wide as snow shoes, making it problematic when buying boots because so many are narrow. These however i can put on new and walk all day without having to break them in or getting a blister. Soft soles that suit my back and the boot look good..........well i think so

I have 3 pair. One for the bike, one for working inside with my cleaning business and one pair for the garden and any construction work i do. When the garden/construction pair fall apart i buy a new pair and the others get handed down along the line.............all tax deductible as well

1667260015965.png

https://www.mongrelboots.com.au/product/high-leg-zipsider-boot/

Last edited:
I like my Mongrel boots. A work boot with a high leg and steel cap. Protection for the ankle in case of a spill and lower leg in the cold. Never twisted an ankle in these either come close but the high boot supports it. As a work/leisure boot they suit my feet. Spent so much time growing up without footwear my feet are as wide as snow shoes, making it problematic when buying boots because so many are narrow. These however i can put on new and walk all day without having to break them in or getting a blister. Soft soles that suit my back and the boot look good..........well i think so

I have 3 pair. One for the bike, one for working inside with my cleaning business and one pair for the garden and any construction work i do. When the garden/construction pair fall apart i buy a new pair and the others get handed down along the line.............all tax deductible as well

View attachment 228836

Boy those look super comfortable! 😃

View attachment 228836
Nice looking boot. I like the zipper (since I hate tying laces). Do they come in different widths? I suppose the likelihood of getting them here is limited.

First time i looked for them online. Usually buy them local. I haven't seen any difference in boot width, although that could be on some of the other styles they sell.
I tried on the black high leg, same as the Wheat, I did reject them because they were tighter than the wheat ones. Could have been an anomaly or they are just a bit narrower..???

Would they sell to the US?? If they did there would be no returns and postage would be a killer. The price vary from online store to online store as well. From $179 to $215. Aus $

First time i looked for them online. Usually buy them local. I haven't seen any difference in boot width, although that could be on some of the other styles they sell.
I tried on the black high leg, same as the Wheat, I did reject them because they were tighter than the wheat ones. Could have been an anomaly or they are just a bit narrower..???

Would they sell to the US?? If they did there would be no returns and postage would be a killer. The price vary from online store to online store as well. From $179 to $215. Aus $
Thx. I looked on line and agree buying from afar would be risky, especially for footwear. I’ll keep hunting around here for something suitable.

Back