Buying motorcycle gear online. Are the good times really over?

Exactly! Those are some solid looking boots! These are the Wolverine Floorhand boots I ordered, non insulated ( don’t really need them to be where I live )
View attachment 228811
I have these boots for work and winter, they are in fact as heavy as cement. Especially since they have a steel toe. Don't know if you ordered them with a steel toe, but I don't use these for riding. I use doc Martens to ride but I've been looking at some Redwings.

I have these boots for work and winter, they are in fact as heavy as cement. Especially since they have a steel toe. Don't know if you ordered them with a steel toe, but I don't use these for riding. I use doc Martens to ride but I've been looking at some Redwings.

I ordered the non steel toe, they arrived yesterday, in fact I’m wearing them right now around the house to break them in.
CE93FC9E-1793-4C47-B97B-B4A0DA063D51.jpegE41D6891-4E64-491C-B38C-FC990E3AC979.jpegB79ECCE3-8A0C-4E57-AA08-87702435E869.jpeg

First impressions, out of the box, you’re right they feel heavy, but for a riding boot, I think that’s ok. They have a quality feel to them. The leather is thick and has a well oiled feel to to them. The soles are beefy and protective feeling. They have some minimal padding around the ankle but they are not real cushiony like hiking boots or high top sneakers. When I first put them on, I thought they felt loose on my foot, that’s not uncommon for me, I am flat footed and do not have a high arch at all. I slipped on some thick cotton socks and inserted the foam arch supports that I wear in all my shoes and the fit was much better. They were very stiff at first, but as I have been wearing them around the house, they are already breaking in. Despite the lack of a steel toe the toe box feels very stiff and roomy.
Early in my life , I had to wear steel toe boots for construction work and I was never very fond of them.
So….bottom line, I like them, I think they will be perfect for riding, and yet comfortable enough so that when I’m off my bike I can walk around in comfort. Mission accomplished! 👍🏻

I ordered the non steel toe, they arrived yesterday, in fact I’m wearing them right now around the house to break them in.
View attachment 228924View attachment 228925View attachment 228926

First impressions, out of the box, you’re right they feel heavy, but for a riding boot, I think that’s ok. They have a quality feel to them. The leather is thick and has a well oiled feel to to them. The soles are beefy and protective feeling. They have some minimal padding around the ankle but they are not real cushiony like hiking boots or high top sneakers. When I first put them on, I thought they felt loose on my foot, that’s not uncommon for me, I am flat footed and do not have a high arch at all. I slipped on some thick cotton socks and inserted the foam arch supports that I wear in all my shoes and the fit was much better. They were very stiff at first, but as I have been wearing them around the house, they are already breaking in. Despite the lack of a steel toe the toe box feels very stiff and roomy.
Early in my life , I had to wear steel toe boots for construction work and I was never very fond of them.
So….bottom line, I like them, I think they will be perfect for riding, and yet comfortable enough so that when I’m off my bike I can walk around in comfort. Mission accomplished! 👍🏻
Nice! Glad you like them. I really like mine and they are definitely a quality boot. Mine being steel toe I don't use them for riding because I like to be able to feel everything with riding boots. I'm sure without the steel they'll serve you well for riding. I also put Dr. Scholes in mine and they felt snug and comfortable.

Nice! Glad you like them. I really like mine and they are definitely a quality boot. Mine being steel toe I don't use them for riding because I like to be able to feel everything with riding boots. I'm sure without the steel they'll serve you well for riding. I also put Dr. Scholes in mine and they felt snug and comfortable.

My bike has floorboards and a heel toe shifter, so for once clunky boots and shoelaces are a non issue.

I usually wear my work boots when riding (usually Ariat, Thorogood etc) and I’m telling you if you haven’t tried riding or working with a wedge sole yet you’re missing out.

I usually wear my work boots when riding (usually Ariat, Thorogood etc) and I’m telling you if you haven’t tried riding or working with a wedge sole yet you’re missing out.

You know, I looked at those. They are supposed to be very comfortable.

These may be ok. They have a zipper too. No steel toes though. I’ll check them out. They’re available locally at retail.

https://www.sail.ca/en/merrell-moab-2-tactical-response-men-s-tactical-boots-wide-947829
I like those I have something similar but then I also have a real pair of MC boots from Sidi...just depends on my mood..But the Sidi bootrs are 10" tall and 100% waterproof...MY other boots are not waterproof at all... they are also a "Duty" boot ...
They say they're waterproof.......NOT
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/danner-kinetic-gtx-side-zip-waterproof-tactical-duty-boots-for-men?ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=Cabelas|Shopping|Smart|CatchAll|General|NAud|High|NMT&gclid=Cj0KCQjwqoibBhDUARIsAH2OpWhibTxRvds7NZVF9gzZd6BgLZMeUXwJIgLkxcclAjYS7T2N3AbBx24aAjrBEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited:
Yeah I also have a pair of tall , zip up, armored everywhere, boots by TourMaster, they are nice boots and very comfortable, but they aren’t really made for doing any walking.
Very true..they suck for walking...My Danners' have a comfortable running shoe type insole that can be replaced when they wear down...My boots have 75K miles on them..Bought in 2007..resoled once with Vibram outsoles...took them to an old school shoe cobbler and he rejuvenated the upper leather as well as new soles...I just dont believe in throwing things away...

Succumbed to the temptation of a pair of German Army-surplus paratrooper boots.

PICT0566.JPG

There are those who swear by these boots, well made, waterproof, ankle protection but supple enough to walk in.

Only just got them so no experience of riding in them - looking forward to putting that right next year.

View attachment 230374

There are those who swear by these boots, well made, waterproof, ankle protection but supple enough to walk in.

Only just got them so no experience of riding in them - looking forward to putting that right next year.
Certainly look the Nadggers Knackers @Raymond, Nice catch.

Always been partial to over the ankle hiking type boot generally, Timberlands, Hyteks or others. I like the ankle support and lug soles for grip and firm leather upper on the toe area for shifting.
Splurged a few years ago on a pair of Sidi Canyon boots, padded shins, combination of velcro and ratcheting closure and what looked to be stitched on deep lug soles. Was very disappointed that for the price to discover that sole lugs weren't very deep and that what appeared in photos to be stitching was molded faux stitching. A guy out in Oregon has built a reputation for resoling hiking boots so when the sole lugs are gone I'll give them a try.
Been pretty happy buying from New Enough, now Motorcycle Gear.com

Last edited:

View attachment 230374

I've had a few pairs of German and Dutch para boots over the years and done many miles in them. They're great all-rounders, if a little short for horrible weather, but long rain trousers take care of that. Only thing is - watch the laces. You lose your dignity if a lace loop catches on a protrusion on the bike when you come to a halt and put your foot down.
My most recent pair of ex-army boots came from Her Maj a couple of years ago - Altbergs made for the MoD. Now I wasn't expecting the fabled Altberg fit, as that's normally dependent on paying them a visit for a fitting and emptying the wallet, but these boots fit me like a glove and are exceptionally comfortable even though they're made for a contract for thousands of general purpose feet in various sizes.
I've been contemplating getting a pair of Altberg motorcycle boots, and might do it yet, before I get too old to ride winters.

Last edited:
Back