Buzzy's revival: '82 Heritage Special

I actually quite like my 650 sidestands. I think they work nicely compared to the stands I've had on other bikes. I will admit, however, I have modded them, and I think that makes them even better. First, I had to lengthen them a little to compensate for the excessive lean my longer than stock rear shocks induced. I did this by welding about a 1/2" of plate to the foot. Besides making the stand longer, it also made the foot bigger, so I call it a win-win .....

04ypiqc.jpg

mgvF229.jpg

ysS4Ymj.jpg

If parking on soft ground, of course I use a parking plate. I make them out of aluminum diamond plate. The diamonds give the stand foot something to grab onto so it doesn't readily slip off the plate .....

3AZtGQU.jpg

I also added a grease fitting to the pivot. This makes the stand operate oh so smoothly .....

Jj2lVqp.jpg

v9nUM5X.jpg

Sorry to read about this Boog. Unlucky for sure. This past Monday we had such intense wind gusts immediately following the epic rainfall of Sunday/Monday that my friend's 600 lb 2012 Yamaha Super Tenare was blown over. It was on the center stand, but covered and the cover was a sail I'm sure. Your back yard looks like a nicer spot.:)

Buzzy is legal again.

I got home just before dark and a package from Yamaha XS650 was waiting for me.

I took the old busted blinker out, nice curve there. Kind of reminds me of when Bill Clinton brought the word Peyronie's into our vernacular.
20211129_170535.jpg

I only installed the right side tonight as the supper bell was ringing. I did get an old round mirror installed but haven't figured out how to angle it yet. That will be another day as well.
20211129_172620.jpg

That Peyronie part of the blinker can be salvaged in a pinch. Unscrew it and place it between two pieces of soft wood and hammer away, using the wood to bend the shaft but not damage the threads. Probably wouldn't work for Bill, though there may be a few that would like to try.......
Thanks for that tid-bit of knowledge brother. I had not considered that for straightening a bent shaft before.

I tried something new on the way to work this morning: emergency braking. My attempt was successful though not as quick as I wished it to be. With the amount of force I used both front and rear tires should have locked up both but did not. I knew the rear shoes need adjusting so I will learn a new skill on that. And I suppose new brake fluid in the front is in order.

The cause of my excitement stems from a driver stopping at a yellow light (at 50 mph indicated on Buzzy's speedo) as I was accelerating behind them. A curb on one side and a car on the other left me no clear escape. Buzzy stopped a good five feet behind the car but it was exciting.

Even though the entire front brake system was new on my TX when I bought it (from master cylinder to caliper) I replaced both rubber lines with black covered stainless steel lines. Huge difference! I just take in the original to my local hydraulic lines/hose shop, and they make them up for me with the exact fittings and way less expensive than ordering special motorcycle parts online.

Even though the entire front brake system was new on my TX when I bought it (from master cylinder to caliper) I replaced both rubber lines with black covered stainless steel lines. Huge difference! I just take in the original to my local hydraulic lines/hose shop, and they make them up for me with the exact fittings and way less expensive than ordering special motorcycle parts online.
I do indeed want to upgrade to SS brake line.

After hunting from my Triumph key yesterday morning (I have a spare for it), I decided I need to have a second key cut for Buzzy. I only have a single OEM key for it now. I spent a full hour on the phone this afternoon before I found a locksmith who has Yamaha keys and has an actual shop I can go to. Most of the locksmith around here are mobile shops and will only come to you of course with a service fee for mileage. One quoted me at $85 for a visit to me and would not allow me to bring the key to him. Holy bank breaking thieves Batman!

Yes, key stuff has gotten quite expensive, that's why I make my own, lol. Genuine Yamaha blanks are near $20 retail now. Thankfully, you can get aftermarket ones for a fraction of that.

You can unthread that bent part from the T.S. stalk and slide it down the wire some. Having it loose on the wire will make straightening it easier. I start by clamping the whole thing in a vice with soft jaws. That gets it most of the way straight. Then I'll clamp about half in the vice, let the other half hang out, and pound it the rest of the way straight using a big rubber mallet. You may not be able to get it absolutely perfect but as long as it's pretty close, it will mount up OK.

I went back to relook at several other thread and see where I made the mistake on thinking my tank is bigger. I also see where some have used the tank from XS750s and 850s to get more fuel. While I like the look of this little OEM tank, I'd like to know what bigger sized tanks will fit the bike. I'd like to get up to 5 gallons if there is one out there. Any options readily available?
That was a concern of mine, being no fan of stupidly small peanut-like tanks that go with the factory custom look.
Otoh, I get an easy 60mpg (imperial), so the smallish tank gives me a reasonable range after all.

After hunting from my Triumph key yesterday morning (I have a spare for it), I decided I need to have a second key cut for Buzzy. I only have a single OEM key for it now. I spent a full hour on the phone this afternoon before I found a locksmith who has Yamaha keys and has an actual shop I can go to. Most of the locksmith around here are mobile shops and will only come to you of course with a service fee for mileage. One quoted me at $85 for a visit to me and would not allow me to bring the key to him. Holy bank breaking thieves Batman!
I had my spare keys cut by a vendor on eBay who does motorcycle keys, I just sent him my key number and he cut keys for both my wife's CJ360 and my XS. They both work very well. Store name is cyclekeysonline ( link to the web store). They are $10.99 +shipping each.

Back