Buzzy's revival: '82 Heritage Special

I had my spare keys cut by a vendor on eBay who does motorcycle keys, I just sent him my key number and he cut keys for both my wife's CJ360 and my XS. They both work very well. Store name is cyclekeysonline ( link to the web store). They are $10.99 +shipping each.
That sounds like a thieves' dream come true. All cycle key needs is the number from my key and they have a program with the peaks and valleys ready to cut?
I see that my VSTAR Stratoliner key does not have a number but the XS650 does indeed. I'll give it a go. Thanks.

That sounds like a thieves' dream come true. All cycle key needs is the number from my key and they have a program with the peaks and valleys ready to cut?
I see that my VSTAR Stratoliner key does not have a number but the XS650 does indeed. I'll give it a go. Thanks.
@Boog you wont be disappointed, his keys are cut very well and they usually show up at your door in two days (I'd allow a little longer during the holidays). I've been very happy with the keys he's cut for me. Our CJ360 had NO keys when we got it and the keys he cut were a perfect fit for the ignition lock cylinder, fork lock, and seat lock. He has a some info on his website on how to find the key code on your bike if you need a key for your Strato. I suspect its under the ignition lock cylinder or on the face of one of the other locks. If you send him a message he may be able to tell you where to find it on the Strato.

I added a cellphone holder to Buzzy last night. Today on the way to work (at 27°F), the GPS speed shows 68-69mph while the speedometer shows 60mph. As I got up to 65mph on the speedometer, the GPS speed indicated 74mph.

While I not too worried about the big delta, it is nice to know a little more closely what speed I am actually riding at and the reason why I am passing some people when I do not think I am going as fast as indicated.

Should I be worried that something is about to break?

I added a cellphone holder to Buzzy last night. Today on the way to work (at 27°F), the GPS speed shows 68-69mph while the speedometer shows 60mph. As I got up to 65mph on the speedometer, the GPS speed indicated 74mph.

While I not too worried about the big delta, it is nice to know a little more closely what speed I am actually riding at and the reason why I am passing some people when I do not think I am going as fast as indicated.

You might be a little worried about your cell phone, XS's can vibrate a frequency that phones don't like very much and can cause damage to the cameras when mounted directly to the bike (even with a dampened holder).

Straight from apple https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212803

I was going to mount a phone holder on my bars as well until I read this.

You might be a little worried about your cell phone, XS's can vibrate a frequency that phones don't like very much and can cause damage to the cameras when mounted directly to the bike (even with a dampened holder).

Straight from apple https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212803

I was going to mount a phone holder on my bars as well until I read this.

Taken from that article,
“Exposing your iPhone to high amplitude vibrations within certain frequency ranges, specifically those generated by high-power motorcycle engines, can degrade the performance of the camera system.”

I don’t own a GOPRO , so I got the bright idea to buy a handlebar mount for my phone to try and film a ride. I wrapped some foam around the microphone end to muffle wind noise and took off. It was completely unwatchable it was nothing but a blur. :laugh2:

Yeah I destroyed an old Samsung that had a built in compass/level by using it on a handlebar mount.
Taken with a phone mounted on madness for the ironbutt, this was the clearest shot, the rest mainly looked like a bad acid trip.

1641918399454.png

I still mount phones on the bars and they survive but I'm not an apple guy....
I even lost a phone at 60MPH, went back found and it kept right on working, it was in a rokform case and they are pretty tough. I recently changed to a Kyocera tough phone but haven't used it on a bike yet.

Stock size front tire / wheel ??
It is stock size.

@RustiePyles and @Mailman and @gggGary, The Galaxy S10e I have held up fine for map duties this morning. And I'm not sure I understand what the article means by 'High-Power" motorcycle engines. I don't really think the XS650 is in the category, is it?

My phone battery did deplete quite quickly. The map usage plus the 24°F temps drained it well.

I've yet to have a phone that would do GPS for more than a couple minutes unless it was on a charger. They hate GPS duty in the sun also. My most recent phone was cuz the last samsung didn't appreciate 3-4 hours of rain while on the bars. I was using it for radar cuz storms were pretty bad. Everything else recovered but the camera took pics with a hazy ring ever after. GPS speedo apps might not suck the juice down quite as fast and the numbers are big enough to see.... A dedicated GPS is the only reasonable GPS choice for long trips. Or ask the Grizzly for paper map tips ;)

It is stock size.

@RustiePyles and @Mailman and @gggGary, The Galaxy S10e I have held up fine for map duties this morning. And I'm not sure I understand what the article means by 'High-Power" motorcycle engines. I don't really think the XS650 is in the category, is it?

My phone battery did deplete quite quickly. The map usage plus the 24°F temps drained it well.
It's certainly one of the most vibration prone.

I noticed Buzzy's odometer turned over 9K miles this morning on the ride to work. I have put just under 1,300 miles on him since he came into my life. For a machine that has a long ways to go to be perfect again, he sure does pull his own weight when it comes to being a daily rider.

You might break the speed limit Boog!

Did you ever count the teeth on your sprockets? If the sprockets aren’t factory then your Speedo will def be off.
Why? The speedometer runs from the little gearbox on the front axle. It doesn’t care anything about the drive sprockets.
Forgive me if I missed something along the way.

Marty I have been led to believe it changes the ratio of travel to the rear wheel. The motor revs are less depending on your setup yet travel can remain the same. The gearbox you mention is driven by the engine revs. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong? Maybe I’m thinking that changing the tire sizes does the same thing.

Marty I have been led to believe it changes the ratio of travel to the rear wheel. The motor revs are less depending on your setup yet travel can remain the same. The gearbox you mention is driven by the engine revs. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong? Maybe I’m thinking that changing the tire sizes does the same thing.
Changing the size of the front tire affects the speedometer. Nothing you do with the drive wheel will affect it. They’re independent.

Back