Buzzy's revival: '82 Heritage Special

You compress the suspension so that you only have one set off springs, the trailer or truck, in motion. Bad things can happen when you have two or more harmonics working together. Tacoma Narrows Bridge?
I guess I didn’t realize I was creating a monumental engineering disaster by not compressing my suspension. Maybe we should just get back to Buzzy.

Lessons are learned sometimes by being taught the right way, and sometimes having to learn one the hard way. @Boog I don't want to sound like tinkling tin in the wind as an annoyance, but you did mention riding 1300 miles over the past few months (since November) in some of the most severe weather imaginable for motorcycles. Plus Buzzy stays outdoors, granted with a cover, but they collect moisture and actually quicken corrosive activity. I keep mine outdoors also, and I know that the chain requires lubrication at least every three weeks during the winter, even when it isn't ridden. It is a relatively easy job to do but also easily overlooked, or 'maybe next time' comes subtlety to the mind. I am not lecturing nor berating nor condemning, but sometimes even checking the tire pressure before each ride can be a real life saver. Also physically wiping down a motorcycle so you know the bolts are tight, the sprocket is no dry, and no debris has accumulated in any nook or cranny is useful. We all love the freedom to just jump on and go, the thrill of the breeze and feel of power. But certain responsibilities ought to made a prerequisite for safe riding. We have no MOT here to require us our full attention. I am making this comment solely for those of us that tend to forget the true cost of our freedom is earned, not granted.
'TT'

Shortly after buying my first 850 it conked out on me. I called for a roadside rescue and the bloke hoiked it up onto his trailer, tying the bike down in a fairly workmanlike manner. Honestly, I had no concerns over his workmanship or method.
However, the top of one the rear shocks parted company with the bike frame, as it was being strapped down.
I'm certainly glad it happened there and not on the road.
A post-mortem revealed the rubber boot that covered the damping adjuster at the top of the shock had acted as a corrosion-keeper, trapping years of road salt under it, and promoting the rot of the aluminium shock body right where it was the weakest.

Kind of good news on Buzzy just now. The chain bent the shaft causing the leak. No engine case cracks. New seals, shaft, front sprocket, chain and rear tire will go on shortly. I'll have them replace the steering head bearings also.

I'm heading to Denver this weekend to see a few kids and a granddaughter. Hopefully Buzzy will be back together by my return.

Kind of good news on Buzzy just now. The chain bent the shaft causing the leak. No engine case cracks. New seals, shaft, front sprocket, chain and rear tire will go on shortly. I'll have them replace the steering head bearings also.

That's good news Boog.

Best thing about doomsday scenario/posts, can't be worse, only get better.........Cockroaches, Keith Richards and XS650's

In this case, I'm happy I was wrong.

Minions cheering.gif

I'm heading to Denver this weekend to see a few kids and a granddaughter. Hopefully Buzzy will be back together by my return.

Someone up there must like you
I was on my way home from a fishing trip driving under 50 km / h ..chain link broke ....chain fell off.
On its way off and out..
It struck a hole behind the sealing for outgoing axle not a big hole but nonetheless a hole.
I have been looking at it .. pondering to have it welded .. Without disassembling the motor .So if the shop has info on the possibilities on that Pleas tell . I bought replacement casings already about $ 100

Perhaps starting negotiations there ..if this is a longer plan

1646867393214.png

Back