rem61

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've looked high and low for a set of matching controls for my xs 650 build. I have yet to find a clutch, brake and master cylinder along with a throttle that match. Has anyone had any success in this area they can share? As my first build I'm also unclear about the specs. needed for the master cylinder, bore size, will stock cables from Mike's fit etc. I will be running a front stock disc. with drum in the back. Any thoughts or suggestion anyways appreciated.

you could try doing a search of this forum for 'master cylinder' there are 16+ pages of posts and threads that will definitely give you lots of information and specs. Also check the Tech Section at the top of each page under the BRAKES section are a dozen comprehensive threads and tutorials .;)

Mike's master cylinder Part #08-0262 and clutch lever Part #09-6584 are a good match. If don't want to use stock switches a simple throttle and housing from Bikers Choice, Drag Specialties, Motion Pro, etc. would work.

I have very good experience with Brembo, so I would recommend something like this:
https://www.oppracing.com/product_d...ster-cylinder-ps13-black-wreservoir-wlever53/
combined with the YZ style clutch lever from 650 Central, http://650central.com
For a cafe racer, most use a bar end mirror, so mirror mounts are not needed, and just ruin a clean look. Brembo master cylinders have the mirror mount on the clamp part, and some come with a clean handlebar clamp, like on Ducati SSmodels. I used those on my Monster,when I went to a bar end mirror.

Yes, those Guzzis have the type of Brembo master I was recommending. One of them even has the handlebar clamp turned up side down, so the mirror mount points downwards.....clear in the shot from behind. Pretty silly on an otherwise clean build. For a single disc XS build, get a 13 mm Brembo master from a 1st gen 600 or 750SS, with single disc (90-98 ish. Later models had remote reservoir master cylinders, sort of too modern IMHO)
Brembo master cylinders have a micro switch for the brake light, so you can use a single line, and ditch that monstrosity of an oem brake light switch. In some cases you may have to purchase the switch separately.

Back