Cam Chain Adjuster Fitment on BBK750

lakeview

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
20230220_125726.jpg20230220_130131.jpg20230220_130321.jpg
This motor with the 750 kit was assembled a couple years back and now I am getting ready to fire it. The cam chain adjuster is not playing nice. Problem is that using the plunger with the long head, I cannot screw in the adjuster far enough to even get a peak of the plunger out the end without binding up the motor. When I switch the plunger to the small head one and thus making the rod shorter, it works like normal when installed.
Mikes sells an adjuster specifically for the BBK as in the displayed print out on the same page as the BBK, but it appears to me that it has the big head (longer plunger) on it.
Have any of you found that you have to use the small head shorter plunger to make it work right, or have I messed something up inside in my build.
Second, since I need that shorter plunger for another motor, could I just shorten a big headed plunger to the length that works for my application?
Any information will be appreciated.

Hard to see from your pictures, but on the unit with the longer taller head isn't there supposed to be a second copper washer under the spring? Is that an E-type adjuster?

I used an E type on mine.

I can dig through the shed later and snap a few pics.

I don’t recall having any figment issues with it.

*edit - see pic attached with copper ring mentioned.

56278FA5-549D-44DF-82AC-5966A297A071.png

Thanks for your replies, I will read deeper into 5Twins informative post later, but after lunch I messed with it a bit and got a different combo to work. Brand new cam chain, so I expect it will be stiff for a couple heat cycles. I am going to order a later washer for the plunger, I am using an E type.

I was just looking at post #7 by gggGary in the "Cam Chain Adjuster Querie" thread and my adjuster is sunk in almost as far as the one on that motor. It does move in and out, though.

Back