Cam Chain Idle Bolts Gasket Replacment

Stone Co Rambler

Tarmac & Terra Firma
Reaction score
Fellas,

Excuse my terminology, if incorrect, and lack of a photo (for now).

I have a small oil weep coming from what I believe is called the cam chain idler bolts/mounting bolts. Not enough to quit riding, but enough to warrant sealing it up properly as soon as I am able.

These are the two 17mm nuts with the 10mm bolts inside of them located in the front of the engine directly behind the oil feed line. See attached pic (not my bike) Looks like I just need to replace the copper washer on the long 10mm bolt.

See links below, believe these are the parts in question?

https://www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs650-bolt-cylinder-guide-bar-pk-2-oem-97024-06020-00.html
https://www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs650-nut-cylinder-guide-bar-pk-2-oem-256-11395-02-00.html

Noticed a small oil weep coming from the copper washer/gasket (?) where the 10mm bolt goes in.

To replace the gaskets/washers; is this as simple as removing the oil feed line to access the nuts and bolts and simply replacing the copper washers?

OR do I need to remove the top end to ensure proper replacement and that all goes back together properly.
If so, I suppose it would be advisable to replace the cam chain guide while in there?

EDIT: I need to check the build/parts sheet from previous owner. Cam guide may have been replaced a few years back.

Cheers

Attachments

• camchainguidexs650.jpg
    camchainguidexs650.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Yes, it would be as simple as removing the oil pipe to gain access to the 10mm bolt. But, only loosen and remove one of those 10mm bolts at a time. Pull both and the front guide will fall off inside the motor. Loosen both at the same time and the guide could move out of alignment.

5T,

Much thanks for chiming in.

Noted, only one at a time.

By way of a follow up...anything of note on removing the oil pipe?

Drain oil first?

Any washers or other parts that will need replaced when reinstalling the oil pipe?

You will want to use two wrenches on the oil pipe lower connection. The size is 22mm but I suppose large Crescent wrenches will work. You want the fitting to stay tight into the motor and just take the gland nut above it off .....

w81Cbff.jpg

The two banjo bolts on top have copper sealing washers but I have always just re-used them and never had a leak issue. Do carefully torque them to spec.

I was able to get a 17 and 10mm wrench on the bottom one-which is the one that is leaking. I did sung em up, but still getting a little weep.
Don't want to crank on them too much, being careful not to strip the threads on the casing.

Back