Cam shaft ground down?

MrTan

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I have an 81 with the TCI ignition and Mule motorcycle cam covers/points plate. Pulled the plate off the right side and looks like the end of the cam is ground off.

My question, is that a normal thing to do to fit these particular covers?

Attachments

• 20210822_151401.jpg
    20210822_151401.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 145
  • 20210822_144958.jpg
    20210822_144958.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 140
I’m not familiar with those covers, but it looks like they have also ground on the bearing, I’d be concerned that bits of metal and angle grinder abrasive (or whatever they used to cut it) has gotten in the bearing, unless it’s just the photo.

Not first hand knowledge but I have read it is required to trim the cam when fitting Mule cam covers. Hopefully it was done in a workman like manner rather than having a lash at it with an angle grinder.
You dont need the points and advance drives so no problem.

Not first hand knowledge but I have read it is required to trim the cam when fitting Mule cam covers. Hopefully it was done in a workman like manner rather than having a lash at it with an angle grinder.
You dont need the points and advance drives so no problem.
I could see doing it carefully with a cut-off blade with it out of the engine as long as one was careful to not get it too hot. Then again the cam runs in ball bearings so surface hardness should not be critical as long as it was out at the ends.

Last edited:
Yes it does prevent using a Pamco but if your TCI fails there are alternatives search Gonzo ignition if you are interested.

It did, I am returning the Mikes Pamco and bought a known good TCI already. Wish me luck boys, hopefully I will be able to ride it before it gets real wet here in the pnw. Thank you for all the responses.

It did, I am returning the Mikes Pamco and bought a known good TCI already. Wish me luck boys, hopefully I will be able to ride it before it gets real wet here in the pnw. Thank you for all the responses.
Well from all the reports of fires up that way I would be willing to take a ride in the rain.

For various reasons I would not ride this particular bike in the rain.

Also, I am an idiot. The guy, did in fact, grind it down with the bearing on it.

Also, I am an idiot. The guy, did in fact, grind it down with the bearing on it.
It wouldn't be any fun, but you could raise the rocker box enough to replace the bearings and clean up the rough edges with the engine still in the frame.

Back