Cam tensioner (again) copper damper

Torchard

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Many words spilled on this topic but on still unsure. I have a ‘78 - the tensioner without the lock nut - did that one come with the copper damper? Some seemingly stock parts photos seem to show the unit without that damper. So not sure if i unthread it and find it absent, whether that’s actually how it was with that particular version or if it’s been consumed by the XS650 hellfires. Thanks. T

Yes, your '78 type D tensioner should have the copper damper washer. You really should upgrade to the type E with the lock nut. Continued use of the type D may prematurely stretch your cam chain out because it may tighten up more every time you install the cap nut.

5twins thanks for confirming and for the advice. I suspect I’m in for a chain guide replacement and so will consider adding a swap of tensioner to the to-do list. T.

For more in-depth info on the "how and why" for the change, see posts #22 and #23 on the 2nd page of the thread you linked to above. I consider this not just a "to do" but a "must do" item. Complete type E assemblies can usually be found for around $20 on eBay. Even though all you really need for the upgrade is the longer type E plunger and the lock nut, those parts rarely come up for sale individually. You usually end up needing to buy a complete assembly.

Many words spilled on this topic but on still unsure. I have a ‘78 - the tensioner without the lock nut - did that one come with the copper damper? Some seemingly stock parts photos seem to show the unit without that damper. So not sure if i unthread it and find it absent, whether that’s actually how it was with that particular version or if it’s been consumed by the XS650 hellfires. Thanks. T

Despite being the “D” type with no lock nut, which I’m advised to replace for good reason, I had some satisfaction today. I removed the plunger and found the copper washer intact. I reinstalled and a set according to the manual. All looked as it should. I moved onto the valves found only one that needed adjustment (so far all indications are that this motor has been reasonably well cared for over the years and even up to recently.) With so few adjustments I didn’t expect much in respect to rattle reduction, but what a nice surprise upon fire-up. The top end noise has dampened considerably. So I was pleased with today’s efforts and results.

Back