Camshaft Bushings

Vmx51

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
My XS came with the factory electronic ignition , so didn't have camshaft bushings. I put new cam bushings in today , for my Pamco set up. When I put the advance rod in , I find it to be totally sloppy , tons of play. What do I have to do ? , buy genuine Yamaha bushings ?

Yep, or repops; don't know if they're still available from Mama Yama. There's another issue, too. The bore of the camshaft isn't finished in transistorized ignition models, and guys have cracked the ends of the camshaft by forcing the bushings in. Try the fit and clean things up with a paper roll in a rotary tool if needed. Remove as little material as possible; you want a firm press fit.

Vmx, the fit is good as long as there's not enough slop to make the Boyer rod and disk wiggle. Right you are, Gary, time to break out the mike and T-gauge and check some cams and bushings. I'm sure you'll share the numbers you get, and I'll post mine as soon as it's warm enough to do anything in the barn. Needle roller bearings might be useful with ignition systems where the rod turns to advance and retard timing, but would be wasted with a system like Boyer, which advances the spark electronically.

My XS came with the factory electronic ignition , so didn't have camshaft bushings. I put new cam bushings in today , for my Pamco set up. When I put the advance rod in , I find it to be totally sloppy , tons of play. What do I have to do ? , buy genuine Yamaha bushings ?
Hi Vmx51,
The stock electronic ignition works perfectly. Do not let your XS650 drink the Pamco Koolade it will sicken it like Jonestown.

Late as usual on this but The cam I have only has what looks like the original steel seals out near the end. Is this normal? Beyond that the surface looks a bit rough and not meant for bushings. I haven't tried putting brass bushings in there. Should I? I have a set of steel bushings that are the same OD as a set of needle bearings I have. I think it wise to replace the steel seals with like steel seals. I do have new ones of those in the proper length. I either do it now as I have the Cam out or leave it until the next tear down. The advance rod doesn't have any excessive wear and I wouldnt know one way or the other what is good when it comes to the cam and all those bits.

Back