Can’t figure out bolt size

Stick14ya

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed today when working on my 77 xs650 that on the cranside clutch cover that I had a oil leak upon further inspection of it I guess when I bought the bike it hasn’t been ram in awhile but the other day I got it to fire up and noticed a oil leak coming from that side.My question is that I’m missing a few bolts that hold the cover on I did t take pics of it but it’s the bolt above the oil filter and the two top bolts to the left of the oil filter.Does any body know what size bolt they are so I can try to find it at the store but I can’t figure it out and my damn battery is dead on my calipers go figure while I’m out tommorrow I was going to get a few bolts and a battery for the calipers lol thanks Chris

First, you go to a website like Partzilla and look up the part number of the bolt(s) you need. Then you need to decifer the part number to find the diameter and length.

Untitled.png

Fastener dia and length.png

Yes, maybe. They were standard equipment on all models as far as I know. I've never tried installing this cover without them. Maybe add some to your next parts order. I see XS650Direct sells them by the 10 pk (18-0886).

When I change the oil what weight do you guys recommend I ordered the sump filter and the oil filter and I’m going to change the oil since it’s been sitting awhile but not sure what weight to use I read 10w50 is that what you use thanks Chris

Ok I was going to message you or rusty yesterday I got my chain in a pit it on the bike got it started and when I pulled the clutch in and put it in gear it cut out the clutch is not engaging on I order a new clutch cable for it and the guy I talked to said it had been sitting awhile and sometimes the plates stick.I don’t know if that’s true but can you clean the clutch plates and if so what do you clean them with thanks chrosb

Yes, sometimes the clutch plates can stick together after sitting a long time. To free them up, pull the clutch in and kick the bike over, as many times as it takes. The kicker is connected to the engine through the clutch. If the clutch plates are free, pulling the clutch in will disengage the kicker from the engine and it will just push through it's kick stroke without turning the motor over. If the plates are free then you probably just have a clutch adjustment issue (too loose).

There's another adjustment under the little chrome cover on the left engine side cover. You can download manuals for free. They will tell you all this simple stuff .....

http://www.biker.net/

Before you take things apart, get the bike up on the center stand, put it in 2nd gear and with the clutch lever pulled in and the ignition off, kick the daylights out of it. Sometimes this will break the clutch free. If not, get some friends to help you push the bike, in 2nd gear, no ignition, clutch lever pulled in and maybe that will work. Make sure all the slack is adjusted out of the clutch cable. Good luck.

Back