Can my 81 XS650 Special be my "big bike"

ckahleer

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I want to down size to two bikes. A little run-about and a bigger long ride bike. I have decided on the KZ305 as the little bike and will be selling the CL175. The CL175 just can't handle the short distance, highway speeds I sometimes need to go.
As for the big bike, The V65 Magna can do intersate speeds all day long, but is more bike than I need. Is the XS650 capable of long rides, sometimes with many hours at interstate highway speeds?
My heart leans to keeping the XS650. Its almost thumper like when you twist the throttle. But my head leans toward keeping the smooth, water cooled, V4 Magna.
Will I regret keeping the XS650 over the Magna?

I want to down size to two bikes. A little run-about and a bigger long ride bike. I have decided on the KZ305 as the little bike and will be selling the CL175. The CL175 just can't handle the short distance, highway speeds I sometimes need to go.
As for the big bike, The V65 Magna can do intersate speeds all day long, but is more bike than I need. Is the XS650 capable of long rides, sometimes with many hours at interstate highway speeds?
My heart leans to keeping the XS650. Its almost thumper like when you twist the throttle. But my head leans toward keeping the smooth, water cooled, V4 Magna.
I don't see why not. People have ridden XS's on long trips since it's introduction. A lot depends on you. An XS will never be a Goldwing, so if creature comforts are #1 on your list, perhaps you should look elsewhere. But if you take frequent breaks and pace yourself, they do O.K. When I was in my early 20's, I rode mine 300 miles after working all day in a hot paint and body shop to visit a "friend" in south Florida. I couldn't do it now that I'm an old fart, (plus the wife would object) but I think they are capable of interstate speeds all day. There are plenty of others on this forum with more recent long trips that I hope share their opinions with you as mine is from a long time ago.

As stated above a XS650 is not a Goldwing. It will handle a few hours a Interstate speeds no problem or all day if you really want to hurt yourself. By that I mean 70MPH. Best if you are running 17/32 gearing. I have taken several trips on my XS2. On one I did 800 smiles in one day. Not doing that again.
A XS650 is at it's best on 2 lane roads but Interstates are not off limits to it.
Take a 5 minuet butt break every hour and it will get you where you want to go.

I would need pics of the XS and how much $ it would sell for before I can recommend keeping the V65.

Yep, no reason why not. The limiting factor on highway runs will be the rider, not the bike; how much can you take before it stops being fun? If you can set aside the time, why not hit the Interstate on your XS650H and see how a long ride feels, then do the same on the Magna? That will give you a more solid grounds for a decision than a bunch of us geezers could possibly do!

I just went through a similar downsize--first the Zook GS500E, then the Kaw 650 Ninja twin. The only bike in the barn now is the XS650D.

I've only ever sold one XS650, that was about 1990 maybe, and I still regret selling it (although I now have six)
They really aren't suitable for long distances at high speeds, they've got quite a busy feel to them.
So the logical thing to do would be to sell the XS, and keep the Magna.
Logical, but I bet you'd regret it later on.
That Honda just doesn't have the soul of the XS

I rode my 73 in 1974 all day long on the freeway. Oh ya that's right we had the 55MPH speed limit back then. No way it would keep up with todays speed. That is without beating up the rider.
Keep them both

Back