Can this be saved ?

Grewth

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
This arrived in the post today, albeit still in one piece.
One XS2 speedometer, not working.
Also full of rust flakes, trip knob weirdly damaged and little screw missing, but surprisingly still functional (the trip only)
Needle stuck at 20 mph, input shaft free but a horrible grinding sound when I turned it.
Well to cut a long story short, as you can see I've managed to dismantle it, but I broke the little detent spring on the trip shaft, and the "C" clip on the shaft.
Grinding sound was/is rust flakes sticking to the magnet and jamming between the magnet wheel and the sprung cup.
I've got most of them out with a magnetic tipped screwdriver, but not 100%.
The good news is that the watch spring thing isn't broken, both the top and bottom bearings seem to have life left in them.
So now all I have to do is get 100% of those rust flakes out (I didn't realise that rust was still attracted to magnets), I'm not sure exactly how.
Then I've got to de-rust, seal and repaint the metal casing.
Then fix up a new detent spring somehow, find another C clip, and put it all back together.
Oh yeah, the paint is nearly all missing off the dial, so it's gonna need one of them vinyl overlays (which means I'll have to do the tacho too, or it will look real stupid)
Finally, all the red numbers have bleached out on the 1/10 mile reel.
I really don't know how to fix that.
Maybe I should give up motorcycles and collect coins or stamps ?
I the meantime, if anyone knows a way to get the last bits of rust flakes away from the rotating magnet, please let me know.

Attachments

• 20220621_174000.jpg
    20220621_174000.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 118
  • 20220621_174315.jpg
    20220621_174315.jpg
    391.5 KB · Views: 128
  • 20220621_174736.jpg
    20220621_174736.jpg
    817.3 KB · Views: 123
  • 20220621_181648.jpg
    20220621_181648.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 125
I bought some new face plates a couple of years ago. Right now they have nothing listed on E-Bay. They are from your side of the pond.
Contact them and see if they still make them. They are very nice.

1655833779323.png
1655833810315.png

Hmmmm.
Tightwad that I am, I might just wait and find out if the guages actually work properly first.
£102 is three times what I paid for the speedo.
TBH, I quite like the sunbleached effect on the tacho dial, real patina.
But the speedo is just a bit too far gone

Hmmmm.
Tightwad that I am, I might just wait and find out if the guages actually work properly first.
£102 is three times what I paid for the speedo.
TBH, I quite like the sunbleached effect on the tacho dial, real patina.
But the speedo is just a bit too far gone
The GBP 102 was for 3 sets.

You might try blowing the rust flakes off with compressed air and a blowgun. I know this works well for blowing clean the bottoms of my magnetic parts trays.

I the meantime, if anyone knows a way to get the last bits of rust flakes away from the rotating magnet, please let me know.

One way is to use adhesive tape pressed against the surface / magnet holding the magnetic items.
or for that matter other particles

Like regular see trough office tape ...Usually that binds harder than the magnetic force and can be repeated If one has room to apply it.

One way is to use adhesive tape pressed against the surface / magnet holding the magnetic items.
or for that matter other particles

Like regular see trough office tape ...Usually that binds harder than the magnetic force and can be repeated If one has room to apply it.
A very good idea, but in this case difficult to do in practice, due to the way the magnet wheel thingy is designed to hug the bit connected to the pointer.
Difficult to describe until you actually see it, but an absolute pig to get at, and it can't be dismantled (not without cutting metal)

Hi Grewth.
if you can post some good photos with measurements I'd have a go at recreating something close to that plastic ring, if you like.
Neil
Hi Neil
I'll do it this evening when I've got some time to myself.
Many Thanks !

Might try a neo magnet. Should be more attractive than the speedo magnet
I'm not sure what effect putting a powerful magnet near the speedo magnet will have on it.
Don't they make some types of magnet by exposing them to a strong magnetic field ?
So conversely couldn't it become de-magnetised ?
It's been nearly 50 years since I did physics at school, and trying to remember stuff now makes my brain hurt.

I bought some new face plates a couple of years ago. Right now they have nothing listed on E-Bay. They are from your side of the pond.
Contact them and see if they still make them. They are very nice.

View attachment 216927View attachment 216928
I've just ordered gauge transfers from Diablo Cycle in Canada, as the UK supplier doesn't seem to be active at the moment.
Postage is only $3.00 as they only weigh 8g apparently

I tried to measure up one of those plastic rings last night, but unfortunately, my quality ALDI digital caliper has given up the ghost, despite having an auto cut-off which is supposed to save the battery.
So I've taken it to work today and used my even cheaper manual vernier caliper on it.
For a simple bit of plastic trim, there are a hell of a lot of things to measure up if you wanted a perfect copy.
Obviously, the two little mounting lugs need synching with the cut aways and the
ignition switch cut away.
And that is only the speedo trim.
I think the tacho one is a "mirror" image but I wouldn't swear to it (I've left it at home)
Measured dimensions are only approximate as the quality of the vernier (and my eyesight) leaves a lot to be desired

Attachments

• 20220623_090345.jpg
    20220623_090345.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 20220623_090012.jpg
    20220623_090012.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 20220623_090029.jpg
    20220623_090029.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 20220623_090315.jpg
    20220623_090315.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 73
Hi Grewth
That is a good bit of information, I'll give it a go, I'm no pro at CAD, just a hobbyist so don't expect too much, it's going to be an exersise in learning for me.
I'm just saying 'don't get your expectations too high' :).
Also, if you could imagine it symetrical without the ignition switch cutout, how many ribs would there be?
And also, what is the width of the rib, picture attached?
And also, also, could you look around for something that fits nice into the ignition switch cutaway, maybe a small can or bottle then measure the diameter of that?
In case you are confused, yes I've changed my user ID.
Neil, was robotnik now Splodge.:thumbsup::D
Q.jpg

The ribs are actually tapered, not straight, going from about 3.2mm down to 2.9 at the edge.
I've counted 43 ribs as is, so approximately 45 on a full circle.
The first object that I picked up fits the ignition switch recess perfectly, it's 50mm diameter

Attachments

• 20220623_115316.jpg
    20220623_115316.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 73
Back