Cannot stop throttle shaft seal leaks

authenticnovelty

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forgive me if this has been covered somewhere else. i’ve read threads on throttle shaft issues, but none of them discuss such a consistent reoccurrence. Figured I may as well throw this scenario out for opinions....

I have an air leak on my BS38 carbs that I cannot get rid of. I have a 1978E (standard) with factory air boxes and a joined OEM exhaust from an xs650 special (previous owner’s doing). The carbs are normal BS38 with standard jetting, floats, needles, etc and setup going to dual petcocks from fuel tank. Mix screws are usually 2.5-3.25 turns out. Cylinder compression is consistently matching on both when tested, just under 130 (just shy of 150 when 1tsp of oil is put in cylinders).

In less than 9 months i have stripped and cleaned the carbs four times, removed and reinstalled them countless times, installed three different sets of carb boots with and without vacuum barbs using three different sets of boot gaskets, most recently yamaha boot gaskets. I’ve replaced/reinstalled all four throttle shaft seals at least 3 times cleaned and used fresh dielectric grease. At this point i’ve stripped one of the screw holes on a throttle shaft and find it hard to believe a fourth try will help anything.

It is always the inner shaft seal on either carb individually or simultaneously, but intermittently. Never the outer seals. It comes and goes.

Some mornings it starts right up, some days i have to spend 10 minutes turning the choke on and off strategically as i rev the engine in small blips and it still will die. Sometimes I can be sitting at a light and i’ll watch the idle shift 500RPM one direction or the other and stick. Typically i’ll just adjust my idle screw and keep going. On most good days it will idle at 1200 RPM.

To add insult to injury i finally gave in and bought newly restored carbs from Spydercycleworks, when i saw my exact set online recently and these also leak air in a similar way. I’ve resync’d the new carbs three times in the last week and each time requires different between idle mix and sync screw settings as the air leaks shift.

One guess is that the engine will occasionally backfire/miss subtly when idling (especially when starting on some days) sometimes just on left carb, sometimes on both. Always through the carb into the airbox, almost never through the exhaust pipes. Is it possible the backfire/miss is reseating the shaft seals from the abrupt pressure change? The throttle shaft air leaks often begin after revving hard or a miss, but not in a consistent pattern. Sometimes restarting the bike can fix/cause it.

Does it may sense to try and double up on seals?

A bit long winded, but want to cover all my bases. Am i missing something?

Here is a pretty boiler plate video of carb spray on my inner shaft seals if of use to anyone. about 5 minutes before i filmed this, the bike was idling comfortable at about 1200RPM and i could not get any response from any carb spray anywhere. Then i pulled each spark plug off to check sync and the bike went to about 1700RPM and stayed.

If you can, repeat this experiment, but without any sprays.
Reach in there, with something, and nudge the throttle shafts fore/aft, up/down.
If any changes, then consider that the throttle shaft bores may be too wallered-out to allow the seals to seal...

What ignition? has advance operation been checked with a timing light? poor springs, advance shaft binding come to mind. A funky advance can really F with the idle. vacuum tested with throttle both on and off the idle stop screw? Worn throttle shaft bushing is most commonly the one at the throttle cable, due to the asymmetric loads applied there.

it sounds like the idle is wandering up and down which I wouldn't expect from leaking throttle shaft seals .
Forgive the silly question but you did put the seals in with the lips facing into out from the carb didn't you ? otherwise the vacuum from the engine will lift the seals instead of closing them against the throttle shafts.

Many may not agree with me but because I had similar rising and hanging idle issues with my BS38s I used a liquid gasket cement Threebond either side of the inlet rubber gaskets on mine. having done that you can virtually forget the possibility of leaks from either of the inlet rubbers unless you have inlet stubs with vacuum take off spigot that has lost their rubber seals.

Another place to look for possible air leaks is the choke body gaskets especially if they have been reused a few times. Here again I used a little Threebond on mine . I figure I am unlikely to need to remove the choke bodies more than once a year ...if that and the inlet stubs never !.

What ignition advance to you have fitted ...stock mechanical or electronic like Pamco/ Boyer etc?

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I have recently replaced coils with emgo stock ignition coils. New condensor. New ignition wires and caps. Engine mounts/grounds cleaned and reassembed. Installed XSCharge PMA, new points, timed engine with multimeter. Removed, polished and greased original advance rod. Also trimmed springs on weights. Intake valves .003” exhaust valves .006”. Spark plug gap is 0.024”.

Willing to consider worn throttle shaft. Will see if i can cause/fix leak by bumping it this weekend. The bushings seemed good on last disasembly, but i realize it only takes a tiny bit of air.

Seems odd that two sets of carbs have similar symptoms. Not sure if related to air boxes? I bought the uni 4200 filters to go with the new carb set, but cannot use them yet, as i don’t have bigger jets and 5.5 turns out on the mixing screws seemed a bit excessive when testing them. :wink2: Did 50/50 gasoline and 10w40 motor oil on the filters and brake check valve on the dual breather hoses with the reducers in the breathers removed for science.

Shaft seals are mounted with curve facing butterflies to be sucked in. The double edged side faces out dielectric grease packed on both sides of seal.

I’m willing to put tri-bond on shaft seals if it offers a chance of resolution.

I did have a choke leak last summer after the first rebuild with carb kit. Resolved it a Few weeks later. Seems fine since.

This potential leak has been an issue since the day i bought the bike and all the above changes (and more) have been made without much impact.

Any additional ideas?

I have recently replaced coils with emgo stock ignition coils. New condensor. New ignition wires and caps. Engine mounts/grounds cleaned and reassembed. Installed XSCharge PMA, new points, timed engine with multimeter. Removed, polished and greased original advance rod. Also trimmed springs on weights. Intake valves .003” exhaust valves .006”. Spark plug gap is 0.024”.

Willing to consider worn throttle shaft. Will see if i can cause/fix leak by bumping it this weekend. The bushings seemed good on last disasembly, but i realize it only takes a tiny bit of air.

Seems odd that two sets of carbs have similar symptoms. Not sure if related to air boxes? I bought the uni 4200 filters to go with the new carb set, but cannot use them yet, as i don’t have bigger jets and 5.5 turns out on the mixing screws seemed a bit excessive when testing them. :wink2: Did 50/50 gasoline and 10w40 motor oil on the filters and brake check valve on the dual breather hoses with the reducers in the breathers removed for science.

Shaft seals are mounted with curve facing butterflies to be sucked in. The double edged side faces out dielectric grease packed on both sides of seal.

I did have a choke leak last summer after the first rebuild with carb kit. Resolved it a Few weeks later. Seems fine since.

This potential leak has been an issue since the day i bought the bike and all the above changes (and more) have been made without much impact.

Any additional ideas?

No answers just some observations.........Query

Trimming the weight springs........did you buy new ones and do this to them, or to the existing ones that were on the bike.........I don't like this personally. Mainly because there is no way to determine the spring strength relating to the advance curve.........

I bought a set from Mikes thinking new is better. After i installed them the weights didn't close properly so reinstalled the original ones........no new wasn't an improvement

if 2 different sets of carbs have the same symptoms it would be unlucky they both had exactly the same wear on the throttle shaft seals..........not impossible, unlikely......especially if the seals have been changed in one set of carbs

Not sure if your saying the Unis are being used or the factory air boxes.........If the Unis, the weight of the filters and the carbs, (BS38's are a heavy carb), all hang off the carb boots.....This could be an underling problem........yes i know you have done spray tests but i would be doubling up and keeping that area in mind.....

Using 3 Bond is your choice.......Not something i would do because it only masks a problem not solve it, and the problems associated with a dismantle, out way the fix......IMO...............

In another thread there was some casting faults some where on a carb surface when they were dismantled........it was cleaned off and may not have caused problems, but something like that can, or could be problematic.

Just rambling thoughts.......probably doesn't help much..........

GggGary,
thanks for the clarification. I misread. Was somewhat curious how threebone worked with a moving shaft.

650skull,
Currently using factory airboxes. Only tried the uni filters for a day and honestly couldnt tell if the idle issues were present with uni filters due to how lean it ran and the other issues introduced by the filters without jetting.

I trimmed the original springs on advance after greasing.

How thick was the grease? seriously thick grease will muck up the advance mechanism. I use oil or VERY light silicone grease.. You need to get a timing light and WATCH your advance as you go from idle to 3000 RPM and back a few times. I suspect a big? part of your issues lie there

I'm not a fan of clipping the advance springs. A properly cleaned and lubed advance rod and assembly usually doesn't need the springs clipped. Yes, the set-up can be a bit "stiff" right after greasing, but a short time running usually loosens it right up. I use a grease with moly in it, as the manual recommends, and have never had any issues with it.

In another thread there was some casting faults some where on a carb surface when they were dismantled........it was cleaned off and may not have caused problems, but something like that can, or could be problematic.

I think Skull might be referring to this, I’ve had this appear on three different BS38 carb bodies , right where the choke cover bolts on. It appears to be some sort of casting flash.
D05AEE9B-8B71-4CD4-BA2B-E00B110A6A59.jpeg

The gaskets for the choke cover tend to be very thin and these “ bumps” held the covers just far enough out that the gaskets wouldn’t seal. Given their proximity to the butterfly shaft seals
Photo shows a pointer locating the intake leak.
2CEB2818-8354-4FAE-9E17-8A05A5B47BF6.jpeg

I mistakenly thought the shaft seals were leaking. I covered all of this in the following two posts. Including a good way to locate leaks without spraying stuff all over your carbs.

http://www.xs650.com/threads/my-60th-birthday-present.47639/page-35#post-509003

http://www.xs650.com/threads/my-60th-birthday-present.47639/page-36#post-511006

—Bob

I had read somewhere on here about trimming the springs and figured may as well since they seemed a little weak. I used molly grease as 5twins had suggested in a previous thread i came across (and above), but i applied a fairly thick coating of grease at the time. Previous to that, the advance weights did not return to center on their own and would stay in place wherever i manually positioned them.

Thanks for the suggestion of the timing light on the advance. I do not have a timing light. I can look into that. Will see if i can find some threads on using with advance on the forum.

I agree, incredibly bad luck for two sets of carbs to have same symptoms. Hoping it can be something fixed simply with the advance as suggested above.

Any additional ideas?

Sounds like you're spoiling that bike :)

Looks like you may have spotted the problem yourself. If you need to set your mixture screws out 5x turns then you may have a very lean idle mixture which will cause a rising or hanging idle .

Heres a really good thread on setting idle mixture that should help.
http://xs650temp.proboards.com/thread/10434/setting-idle-mixture-easy

Just to clarify the throttle shaft seal orientation . The lips on each seal should face out or away from the carb body

Thanks for the link Peanut, the description is pretty close to what I've been doing. I've found that 2.75 tends to be the best mix setting overall on mine with the stock air boxes. The 5x was just to mess around with those uni pods I was trying.

Thanks also, Mailman for the note on the carb casting issues. I will try to check over this on the next deep inspection.

A strange miracle happened this weekend. I reinstalled the old carbs with the original air boxes on Thursday night and adjusted the sync, mix, idle settings for a while until I thought it was all good (I made no adjustments to timing, valves or points). Saturday morning I started the bike up to go out of the city on a ride with a small group and the bike started immediately with minimal choke and ran perfectly for the first time in months. Even a range around 2,200 RPM when accelerating where my engine often (but not always) stumbles, gone. Another strange thing is that my tachometer tends to bounce around when riding, especially above 65 on the highway. I've just assumed the gauge is worn out or wind is somehow getting in through the wiring entry. That morning, the tach was completely steady and solid with the engine at all times. Even at highway speed, tach readings smoothly moved with the engine revs, where before it could bounce as much as 500RPM back and forth. On the highway that morning, it also appeared the bike was running almost 500RPM less at the same speeds as usual. Even shifting seemed different. By the afternoon, the engine was barely able to keep a weak 1000RPM idle without blipping the throttle when pulling off the highway and none of my settings had changed from the confident 1400RPM I had obtained at sunrise. Each cylinder also became out of sync one way or the other causing me to have to adjust each carb's idle three times that afternoon/evening. I can't seem to figure out what happened that morning. The tach behavior was the most confusing and most significant unexplainable change.

I tried a couple experiments today where I blocked the advance weights open. After some idle screw adjustments to compensate for blocking my weights, it cold started quite well and idled without any misses. It also seemed to diminish some of the 2,200RPM stumble. I also noticed that the line on the cam and the back plate of the advance are not aligned. The back plate appears to be just a touch to the left of the cam's mark. I don't have a timing light yet, but hope to be able to use one later this week to check the range of the timing advance more specifically.

I now have a much better understanding of the significance of the advance unit and checking dynamic timing. I definitely agree the advance weight impact on the timing could be contributing factor in all of this, but is it possible for there to be such great variance of behavior from day to day caused by a worn advance? I would assume a more predictable pattern if just related to weights and springs? Also, how it could relate to the individual carbs going out of sync repeatedly throughout the day?

Thanks again to everyone on the suggestions so far. Grateful to hear if this odd experience offers any helpful clues.

Last edited:
Hey man I'm having the same problem as you, been trying to chase a rough idle for over a month now. I have a 78' E 277 rephase with bs38 carbs, pamco ignition and original advanced unit and uni filters. My outer throttle shaft seals will randomly leak and the seals are brand new. There wasen't any deformation of the carb bore. There seems to be no consistent pattern with them. I spray one day and theyre fine, the next the idle rises or lowers. It's so strange. Not sure how the advance unit plays into this but my advance unit snaps back to reality when the bike is cold or hot. Have you figured out what your problem is? I've syncd and adjusted the mix screws a bunch of times already and can't seem to figure it out.

How thick was the grease? seriously thick grease will muck up the advance mechanism. I use oil or VERY light silicone grease.. You need to get a timing light and WATCH your advance as you go from idle to 3000 RPM and back a few times. I suspect a big? part of your issues lie there

Hey Gary, hope all is well. Just wondering, when you do this test are you looking to see if your timing mark stays in one spot? What would be the cause of this if the timing mark was moving out of range from the "F" mark? Having similar issues on my bike.

timing should advance smoothly from fire to the Advanced mark at about 3000 rpm. Throttle up and down from idle to 3000 several times, you are watching for consistent smooth movement to the full advance mark and back to F

Attachments

• timing.jpg
    timing.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 277
  • timing mark.jpg
    timing mark.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 253
timing should advance smoothly from fire to the Advanced mark at about 3000 rpm. Throttle up and down from idle to 3000 several times, you are watching for consistent smooth movement to the full advance mark and back to F
Ok so If I do this test and the timing does NOT advance smoothly. What would be the culprit? Will do the test tomorrow. Still a little cold here in NJ.

Back