Can't rev above 5k rpm and go faster than 65

5twins attributes the problem to pleats, I think the problem is that the still air volume in the filters is too small, but we're in complete agreement that those tapered oval filters don't get the job done.

There's a right way and many wrong ways to deal with a freshly acquired old bike. The right way is to inspect everything and fix what's been neglected. One of the most frustrating and potentially dangerous wrong ways is to wait for trouble to show itself and play whack-a-mole with symptoms. The Tech button at the top of the page and this site's search function are fine resources. There are a couple of sites that will give you a free download of the factory service manual. Here's one: https://www.biker.net. (Once again, thank you, Jean Akers!)

While I still believe the pods might be the problem, what about the clutch? You say it won't go past 65 but when you attempt to go past 65 does the tach show an increase in RPM? Can you hear the engine racing up? If yes to either the clutch is slipping.

Pull the pods and do the slide test for leaky diaphragms. If that appears OK take it for a ride and see if the problem persists. At that point, and this is speculation, could there be a problem with the electronic ignition that kicks in at the higher revs?

Since you're running pretty much straight through exhaust, there's a possibility you've got some exhaust reversion goin' on there. Was a member here from Norway or Denmark (I think) had the same problem... with the same symptoms..... wouldn't rev much above 65.

Maybe someone here recalls who that was? :umm:

Pull the pods and do the slide test for leaky diaphragms. If that appears OK take it for a ride and see if the problem persists. At that point, and this is speculation, could there be a problem with the electronic ignition that kicks in at the higher revs?
How would I go about doing a slide test?

Did a slide test and the diaphragms are all good, I’ll take my bike for a spin without the filters tomorrow and we’ll see what happens

Update: took the filters off and went for a ride, only gained 1k rpms and 5 mph
Well it did make a difference so maybe you’re going in the right direction. I have a problem with a set of carbs that I haven’t resolved yet((changed carbs problem went away) and it frustrated the hell out of me. At least I had the luxury of an extra set to try however now I have to really resolve it as I have a bike sitting with no carbs lol.

Sidetracking ever so slightly. See attached pic of the intake arrangement of a Jaguar E-type, with a 4.2 liter inline 6. The air filter housing is close to the size of a 10 liter bucket. And the carbs are indeed a CV type design, namely SU:

Attachments

• IMG_20220702_120752_0.jpg
    IMG_20220702_120752_0.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Yes, if you want pods, get the straight foam UNIs. For your BS4s, that would be the UP4229 or UP4229ST (dual layer). I have the dual layer ones on my '83 but only because I got them cheap from a local guy who bought them for his bobber but they wouldn't fit. The standard single layer ones are fine and what I normally use .....

UNIsInstalled.jpg

Back