Captain Americas Easy Rider Bike up for Auction. Or is it....

Jim

Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
"One of the world’s most iconic movie vehicles, the Captain America custom chopper purportedly ridden by Peter Fonda in the 1969 cult-classic film Easy Rider, will be auctioned at no reserve by Dan Kruse Classics on June 5 in Midland, Texas."
Or is it? Appears there's some controversy over who owns the original.
Link.

easy-rider-columbia-pictures-696x457.jpg

"One of the world’s most iconic movie vehicles, the Captain America custom chopper purportedly ridden by Peter Fonda in the 1969 cult-classic film Easy Rider, will be auctioned at no reserve by Dan Kruse Classics on June 5 in Midland, Texas."
Or is it? Appears there's some controversy over who owns the original.
Link.

View attachment 191745

Yeah I remember reading all this uncertainty before. I think the providence on this bike is sketchy at best. It has a high probability of being a clone.

You who know how it works in the US
Can you please explain it
If a film set buys something for use in the movie . I would expect some paper work somewhere
Files.
Accountant and here authorities would have some Receipts and VIN no owner name. Seller name.
Money transfer documentation in those documents the vehicle identification numbers would be written.
That is a business venture with investors that wants and needs to keep the papers in order ( Here anyways )
One would suspect a purchase of four bikes is a 4 bike deal at one trusted vendor ..with files perhaps
A vendor that can supply a mechanic at the film shoot.

In this case a pan head engine casing number.
Now if those bikes got stolen what happens to those engine casing numbers
And in this case 2 " legit " bikes with numbers ..
I suppose those digits once sold can be changed or taken away but is there not a chance that those engine casings are out there
as well as the frame.
Those are at present time very valuable .. But there might be problems being in possession of these stolen parts.
If you have that engine casing and the the same number in the Film corporations paper work
That could be an instant retirement plan right there.
I do understand that the thieves can be dead and don't want to come forward
Engines can be crashed and scrapped long time ago.
But again we are talking huge sums.

:yikes:Kruse and Auction should never be mentioned in the same sentence. You might get hit by one of the 1.000,000.00+ RED FLAGS that automatically go up. Just sayin.:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

The Barber Museum in Alabama has what I believe is a Captain America replica. It is displayed with information about the original bikes. I don’t recall exactly what it says, but based upon what I recall, I think I would be very skeptical of any so called movie bike. @Jan_P, I’m afraid we have what amounts to 50 separate countries over here when it comes to that sort of thing.

Dennis, Peter, and Dan are gone. Jack is still with us but try getting an answer from him :)

I'd rather have the poster in the garage and $1.6m in the bank.

I'll go a step further. Ever owned a Panhead? In this rare instance I'll say " if you haven't owned one there is little I can explain about how futile it can be to own, maintain, repair, and ride, a Panhead."

Here the value is in the resale, not in the ownership.

I heard what bike that were left over used for the movie where stolen and probably sold for parts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easy_Rider#Motorcycles

Thank you for that with interesting links ...
There are many lessons to be drawn from information therein.
Worn bikes /..A film company on a low budget / Built by people with connections to motorcycle clubs./ And radicals
With union Problems / Drug problems / .. What can go wrong ??

Back