Carb Sync

dubepj

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
1984 XS650 model SK. Just saw a video on building a DIY Mononmeter. What is best way to adjust the screw in the middle. Is it required to remove the tank? Any special tool needed. It's tucked away pretty good, Thanks

Prolly easiest to remove tank, use a temp tank.

After looking online at some remote fuel tanks, I realized they’re expensive! So I made my own,

A non insulated, single wall aluminum drink bottle that I bought for a buck at a second hand store, and a brass fitting I snagged at the hardware store,
EC9D4756-D163-43A6-B34A-73621FE61373.jpeg

Drilled a hole and ground a shiny metal spot around the hole and glued it in there with some JB Weld,
C11EF834-2CD9-4080-8378-97C2F3EA420B.jpeg 9A3CE4AE-C4C0-40D7-B09E-0EFF611C9DE6.jpeg

Some fuel line, a brass T to split the line in two and a shut off valve finished it off. Here you can see it being used.

I cut the bottom out of a heavy plastic detergent jug, installed a fuel barb in the cap with JB Weld to seal it, and added fuel line with an inline lawn mower shut off valve. The jug gets emptied after every use, so it's lasted for years. The barb came from my junk stash, and the valve and fuel line cost less than $6 combined. Guess there's a few pennies involved in the dab of JB Weld and the bit of wire used to hang the jug.

cheesy chinese plastic moped/atv fuel tank............. cuz a sealed container with a vented cap..............
Go to the local lawn and garden, buy a Briggs and Stratton brand in line fuel shut off, AFAIK the only fuel shut offs that work reliably for long periods of time.
Make a decent mount hanging system. We are talking flammable liquids around a hot engine in a garage. You do have a CHARGED fire extinquisher? ;)

Make a decent mount hanging system. We are talking flammable liquids around a hot engine in a garage. You do have a CHARGED fire extinquisher? ;)

You bet I have one! I also keep a heavy towel soaking in a 5 gal. bucket of water. Water won't put out a fuel fire, but it can keep a towel from burning while it smothers a fire.The "hanging system" is a long bungee cord slung over a rafter. Should have noted that I use 6 feet of line to keep the jug far away from the motor.

If it is this.
Perhaps a hillbilly redneck solution .But When I have the carburetors out .. I Check how the butterfly walves are sitting
Holding it against light .. Needles + Slides out and trying to see the gaps . Closing and opening ..
I am no carburetor man .So there are more competent people here
But I always take the slides out to inspect the Diaphragms and wipe the slide Bore clean with some solvent
Adjusting by Inspection when the carburetors are out so it is the same .on both sides
And then install the slides + carburetors into the bike not touching that setting. I Believe we are talking about here.
I cant remember adjusting after that.
Works overall good.
But there could be fine tweaking Possible I have never done it..

As mentioned, you should be able to access the screw from the left side with a long screwdriver. I use an old Stanley with a 6" long blade and a 3/16" "cabinet" tip .....

xpvdZWV.jpg

Ng3utUk.jpg

You usually don't need to turn the screw much, maybe 1/4 turn in either direction, to get the sync done. You can also lift the rear of the tank a little with the fuel lines still attached by sticking a small wooden wedge under it. That will provide a bit more room to get in there.

Back