Cb750k0 - any interest?

Screen grabs....

z.png

zz.png

....from here.

Will definitely cover the frame tubes good. Like the tube idea. Thin and good padding.

Nice thing is one side of the motor mounts come off so it makes it a little easier to get a straight shot.

Motor is a beast, I’m guessing close to 200lbs. Gotta fashion some sort of grab/cross bar to go across it and hold the motor straight so my helper and I can slip it through the frame.

Well, Betsey had a heart…

E000F241-A030-4AB2-BB45-7F4E324DC0CC.jpeg

Went full hillbilly on Friday night and got it in without a scratch.

BACA1461-26AA-4831-AE5B-012D219C32C8.jpeg

One guy on each end, lift it up, kick out the wagon and walk it in. Once I made the lifting jig only took us about 5 mins to get it in.

Got my last bit of painting done.

Had to color match my air box to my side panels since I wanted to use a 3 hole mount instead of a 2 hole which were found on the earlier K0s but are very prone to cracking.

People selling painted body work, don’t sell 3 hole versions painted, although they did come that way and it’s often advised by these same places to upgrade to a 3 hole.

A bit of a process because I didn’t want the color too deep.

It’s a grey primer with a silver sparkle base coat and candy blue green over it.

Spray it, check it compared to my side covers, inside and outside, adjust it, repeat until I got it.

I think it should fly.

FBB98CB5-6368-456B-AFE2-1E016F6BF789.jpeg
3EFFD700-3789-4E9C-8982-F28F5B4D2E87.jpeg
01F6564D-9BC3-430C-8ED5-AFD9EDC570CF.jpeg

The time has come! First start! Haha.

Always a big day.

Fired right up.

I still need to vacuum sync the carbs, double check the valves and the timing (I put it back to where it was when I got it as a starting point but have yet to put a light on it)

If you listen closely, there is a little crinkle/tink noise and I’m unsure if that’s normal or not. It’s kinda random. Bike is also in my shed which tends to echo and exaggerate noises. Never owned one of these or even heard one in person so I’m not quite sure what’s normal.

Congratulations! Beautiful bike. Motor sounds pretty close for a new rebuild; a little stumbly, but once synched and timed, I think it'll be good. Those motors are particularly susceptible to synch and idle speed in regard to mechanical noise. Then there's the clutch noise (not present ATM). Fantastic job sir!

Thanks guys!!

Hopefully get it all sorted in the next week or so. I go in for eye surgery on Tuesday and I’ll be out the rest of the week recovering so it may free up some time to finish it up (if I can see haha).

As for the bike, kinda hate to say it but I feel it will be an exceptional ride compared to my XSs - once I get my seat, I’ll know for certain.

As for the bike, kinda hate to say it but I feel it will be an exceptional ride compared to my XSs - once I get my seat, I’ll know for certain.
I love them both, but they are different. My current XS's aren't stock - look'in for the right 72-73 to resto.- my K1 is. Biggest difference is the weight difference; 50# by specs, but feels like 100# coming off the side stand. Once moving, that weight becomes stability and a nicer, smoother ride. In a 70's car analogy: perhaps small-block camaro vs. big-block impala

Congratulations! Beautiful bike. Motor sounds pretty close for a new rebuild; a little stumbly, but once synched and timed, I think it'll be good. Those motors are particularly susceptible to synch and idle speed in regard to mechanical noise. Then there's the clutch noise (not present ATM). Fantastic job sir!

Yes I think most is covered there Some re tightening of Intake manifold and carburetor is normal
A couple of heat cycles and mechanical parts settle ..float valves settle Oil enters where it should be.
I believe most people take it in steps .. first time perhaps 5 minutes idling letting it cool down then next time longer
and so on. You of course know this.. Small adjustments is always needed

Thanks guys!!

Hopefully get it all sorted in the next week or so. I go in for eye surgery on Tuesday and I’ll be out the rest of the week recovering so it may free up some time to finish it up (if I can see haha).

As JP says the motor is sensitive to balancing the carbs. A great and beautiful bike of which I am a fan. Owned one myself and toured Europe on it; super reliable machine. You've done a great job bringing this one back.
Excuse the pun but it will be an 'eye opener' when you've fine tuned it.

Thanks for all the replies.

Good to hear feedback from those who have or have had them in the past.

I’ve had cb350/450/500s in the past. Ridden a 550 but nothing exceptional about em.

I am excited to get this on the road and see why they have such a following.

As for the weight, certainly feels like a 100+ lbs, especially compared to the 72.

At the time it came it was a game changer. Had a Friend with a Triumph Bonneville 1968 ..fine bike
He bought a new CB 750 i believe a 1974.. It ran fine even in comparison to the automobiles here in Europe in those days.
Perhaps lacked in " Character " according to some ..But it was a great step ..
I have never heard of anyone go back to Brit bikes .. after that step.

Back