Cb750k0 - any interest?

Well I got my seat in the mail today.

I knew when ordering it that it had a plastic seat pan and I wasn’t into it. The rubber bumpers were also different.

Since I still had an original seat pan I figured I’d take a shot at a transplant of the seat foam and cover. The main reason for this beyond using my original seat pan was that ordering foam, a cover, strap and trim was way more expensive than going this route. About 500 bucks if bought separately, this option set me back 250.

Started by removing the seat cover which was fairly easy and just tacked I place with spray glue.

B04AB9F2-C158-44BB-B584-9C59CA550C39.jpeg

082EFA14-E311-4ACF-848E-1321227A9CFE.jpeg

Then I took an exacto scalpel and trimmed back the thin side cover padding. This initially seemed like a daunting task but in reality was quite easy and only took about 10 mins.
AD0F9CE3-9BAF-48AC-8C28-4D5B5AF5C5AD.jpeg

654A5A37-B1EC-4E27-AFBA-AA942FA10045.jpeg

427F21B0-5414-4E76-9481-2A3A81301AD8.jpeg

Then I test fit to my original pan, prepped it with spray glue and set the foam in place.

D13AB598-2C4F-4A1C-9609-57F498361F31.jpeg

E908E2A6-6616-456F-B98E-B56988C8AA41.jpeg

Put the cover back on, pulled it into place, knocked down all my teeth that grab the cover.
0E2A494B-F134-49CD-8982-8ECF1690C0A0.jpeg

Then I drilled holes for the trim where they were previously drilled on the Other seat, attached the trim and called it a day.

BD692901-6552-4F1E-A02D-7166C88DF228.jpeg
BF49DE45-A955-4BDE-B6A8-2B934F905F86.jpeg

B019252A-E060-4DE1-BA42-3FBC574BFE8A.jpeg

I now have a correct seat cover with heat pressed “stitching” on my original seat pan

I have a stencil to spray the correct Honda logo on the back but I’ll wait for my eyes to heal up a bit before I do that.

*forgive my terrible photos (I just had eye surgery a few days ago so they aren’t quite up to snuff yet) pics are worse than usual.

- bike is almost ready for the road but my master cylinder is leaking due to some pits so I am sending it out for a sleeve. I have a cheap aftermarket one on while I wait for it.

I’m still trying to hunt down a chain guard and the last bit I need are the heat shields for the exhaust.

Fantastic job!

Upholstery is one thing I outsource. I got lucky and found really good repro seat covers from Thailand. The good repro's in the rest of the world won't infringe the Honda trademark - the Thais apparently don't care.
20220713_210649 (3).jpg

Fantastic job!

Upholstery is one thing I outsource. I got lucky and found really good repro seat covers from Thailand. The good repro's in the rest of the world won't infringe the Honda trademark - the Thais apparently don't care.
View attachment 222309

All the seats I could find from Thailand/Vietnam all had something not right about em. Either missing the stitching, no trim or wrong strap. If all I needed was a cover, overseas seems to be a good option.

Of course Yamiya is always an option but a seat will set you back about $550.

The shops in Europe will not sell with logos. Too much for them to loose in a lawsuit I suppose.

Ps. That’s a clean K1. Love that green!!

Nicejob WideAWAKE - hope your eyes are feeling 100 percent soon.:thumbsup:

I do too! I’ve had severe double vision for the last 12 years. Glasses were no longer able to help.

I now have single vision. Pretty wild haha.

Another week and I should be back in full swing.

I knew when ordering it that it had a plastic seat pan and I wasn’t into it. The rubber bumpers were also different.

Since I still had an original seat pan I figured I’d take a shot at a transplant of the seat foam and cover. The main reason for this beyond using my original seat pan was that ordering foam, a cover, strap and trim was way more expensive than going this route. About 500 bucks if bought separately, this option set me back 250.

Started by removing the seat cover which was fairly easy and just tacked I place with spray glue.

View attachment 222298
View attachment 222299

Then I took an exacto scalpel and trimmed back the thin side cover padding. This initially seemed like a daunting task but in reality was quite easy and only took about 10 mins.
View attachment 222300
View attachment 222301
View attachment 222303

Then I test fit to my original pan, prepped it with spray glue and set the foam in place.

View attachment 222302

View attachment 222304

Put the cover back on, pulled it into place, knocked down all my teeth that grab the cover.
View attachment 222305

Then I drilled holes for the trim where they were previously drilled on the Other seat, attached the trim and called it a day.

View attachment 222306View attachment 222307
View attachment 222308

I now have a correct seat cover with heat pressed “stitching” on my original seat pan

I have a stencil to spray the correct Honda logo on the back but I’ll wait for my eyes to heal up a bit before I do that.

*forgive my terrible photos (I just had eye surgery a few days ago so they aren’t quite up to snuff yet) pics are worse than usual.

- bike is almost ready for the road but my master cylinder is leaking due to some pits so I am sending it out for a sleeve. I have a cheap aftermarket one on while I wait for it.

I’m still trying to hunt down a chain guard and the last bit I need are the heat shields for the exhaust.
Really good job on the seat recovering. Looks great.

View attachment 222298
View attachment 222299

View attachment 222300
View attachment 222301
View attachment 222303

View attachment 222302

View attachment 222304

View attachment 222305

View attachment 222306View attachment 222307
View attachment 222308

Looks great. I like the way you thought this out.

Looks great. I like the way you thought this out.

Appreciate that!

Although I do admit it was more fly by the seat of my pants and hope it worked out haha.

It actually turned out to be a lot easier than I had anticipated. I didn’t think I’d be able to cleanly trim the side foam but since it wasn’t glued on with high strength glue it worked out.

It’s the little things haha

Scratched my head for about a half hour trying to figure out why I couldn’t get my seat latch to work… found out I was missing the end of the latch slider. They don’t make em, and your never gonna find one kinda part haha.

13E5D909-A044-4376-9FBE-63FD3E515577.jpeg

CAA0713B-19FB-456D-917B-2532811A1E21.jpeg

I found a NOS latch system complete for $250 but I wasn’t into that.

Chopped up some glass for reinforcement, a little resin, a little pigment and left it in a cap to set up over night.

C46DEA34-3E3E-448E-9216-A679E42A568E.jpeg

F77C7C0B-CAB2-4A91-B23F-EC3C636DEC09.jpeg

Scribed some rough dimensions and ground it to shape.

AF133236-9095-4587-81B4-990DE997584A.jpeg

D6B90950-C315-4959-81E5-378045B97072.jpeg

Works like a charm.

All is right with the world again haha!

Every time I kick this bike over, I can tell it sounds good but something was a little off. I thought timing just needed to be dialed and carbs synched.

Started to dive into the timing and every adjustment was sporadic - advance or retard it and nothing would change, then if doing it more you’d get a huge change.

Any time I put a strobe on cylinder 3 it would never flash or just flash every once and a while.

Something definitely seemed off so I started digging into the points to time it static. Using a multimeter to test when the points lost contact (opened) I noticed that both sets were grounded when either open or closed.

Turns out the screw that runs between the isolation grommet was causing a ground.

Research shows that the aftermarket points and condensers for these bikes are notoriously prone to failure.

Points on order and hopefully get it timed synched for a first ride this weekend.

F96D684F-202E-40AE-A5F0-BE9D0B739C84.jpeg

E4248651-BBF5-4C88-9BE1-BD257AF419AC.jpeg

Those washers may not be keeping the bolts from contacting the base inside the hole. Assembly looks right......
View attachment 222824
View attachment 222825

Yes, the bolt is making contact inside.

I thought they should have isolation material all the way through the hole (total isolation) and mine had just worn away.

If that is not how they usually come, I will have to make a small slip to go over the bolt to keep it isolated.

According to Hondaman, the shaft for the advancer is also a reason for jittery/unstable timing. I straightened mine within .005 so I think I’m good on that.

Ignition sorted - times it with a light and confirmed it with a strobe.

Got the carbs synched and it’s pretty much ready for the first ride.

I only had a set of cheap gauges to sync with but they seemed to have worked pretty good. I synched em with popsicles sticks prior to install so I was already pretty close.

Finally tracked down a chain guard, which is the last piece of the puzzle. Should be here shortly.

Back