Certifiably insane asking prices

barncat

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
i'm usually a live and let live guy, but unless it's a typo with an extra zero, some pompous douche has an XS on ebay as we speak for $14,500. WTF? it does not appear to be powdercoated with 24K gold... 6 and 7 grand asking prices are also not uncommon. good luck.

it's like pulling teeth to get even 3 grand or so on bikes i've done with a lot of hand fab, wiring, detailing, and custom porting/tuning/exhaust.

I'd be hard pressed to give 2K for that thing, complete with it's $79 MikesXS shocks even, lol. All flat black ain't my thing. To me it just screams "rat bike".

"Feel free to contact with any questions". $14,500 big ones, and that is only the starting bid, it's up for auction.

Scott
But but but but the builder has a big name on Instagram!

Other than some metal finishing they did, my turdshitter is much nicer - with better parts - and I'd be lucky to get $4-5k on a good day.

It really appeals to me, but my bid is at 10 cents on the dollar.

Nobody in their right mind gonna pay that much for it. I reckon it's a marketing ploy.
Some poor fool gonna make a low bid on it and reckon he's got a total bargain at only $5K.

i just find the arrogance of that sort of thing galling... like the builders asking high 5 or even 6 figures for the ubiquitous S&S powered chopper.

i'm getting burned out on these hobby builds after 10 years. too much time, not enough return, and it's harder than ever to make a sale.

If someone pays that price and then puts a $200 hard tail on it........"I'll stick a red hot poker up my ass and chop my dick off". George Carlin

Scott
Hi Scott,
I'm sure you are a man of your word and if I had the money to buy the thing and was able to overcome my anti-hardtail attitude I'd do it (I mean, may as well go all the way with it seeing as it's pretty well fucked already, right?)
You know it's wrong to tempt a person, eh?

i just find the arrogance of that sort of thing galling... like the builders asking high 5 or even 6 figures for the ubiquitous S&S powered chopper.

i'm getting burned out on these hobby builds after 10 years. too much time, not enough return, and it's harder than ever to make a sale.

Restoring/building old motorcycles is definitely a money losing hobby. The only lads making money are the
aftermarket shops that buy large quantities of Chinese/Taiwan parts and mark them up for large profit margins.

If you look back in history at the gold rushes and silver rushes, guess who made money? It wasn't the miners, it was the shops selling picks and shovels.

- - - i'm getting burned out on these hobby builds after 10 years. too much time, not enough return, and it's harder than ever to make a sale.

Hi barncat,
if you've been building and selling for 10 years it ain't a hobby no more, it's a business, eh?
Like me and the fiberglass sailboats, the first build is fun, the next few builds are a business, the next after that put you in a hole too deep to get out of, then you go broke.
Best you stop going down that road.

RTG and Fred- yes, i'm familiar with the picks and shovels business model. i have by no means lost money. i rarely spend more than 500-700 bucks total (including original titled bike buy) on the minimalist builds i do because i refurbish or make parts from scratch and shop for deals on ebay. sell 'em for around 3K. i'm about taking things off a bike not adding pricey retail bling. all function no fluff. 10 bikes in 10 years is a hobby. just getting tired of it, at least 150 hours each. i may sell my cache of XS stuff next season.

I too saw that add this morning and thought it was a misprint. Maybe he`s planning his retirement? I`m new to the XS650 seen so for now I`m building what appeals to me. This one seems like it would make a good donor bike. Flat black isn`t worth much to me. Before the XS650 thing I was into vintage karting for 8 years.112 karts in three years. Now I have my 3 nicest ones left and glad to have come out about even? Money lesson to be learned in that sport/hobby for sure. Besides I can ride the motorcycle anytime.

Back