Chain rub on swing arm.

joebgd

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Due to a 30t rear sprocket the chain rubs the bushing ususaly, the swing arm. I have a tight and loose spot so when I tighten the chain its okay. Due to the loose spot it doesn't take long before the chain can be pushed w a finger to hit the swing arm. I have a piece of hose I'm gonna try and cover the area w. I guess I'll use zip ties so there is no metal hose clamp. Any one have an idea for a guide or a bolt on chain roller?
Also it seems like it doesn't take long for my chain to need tightening again after an adjustment. How long are you all getting between drive chain adjustment?

Chain adjustment intervals will vary with riding conditions/style somewhat. For clean road use I'd expect several thousand km's between adjustments.

Re the chain guide - hose won't last long at all. I've heard of nylon cutting board being attached using the threaded hole in the top of the swingarm but haven't actually seen it myself.

Shock length can also play a part in chain rub if you've jacked the rear up.

Oh ya that's the other thing, I'm ab to get new rear shocks. If I can find id like to go 13" but even if I get 12.5-12.75" they will most likely be longer because the ones on there now are original.

20200513_091239.jpg

Reference pic here. 32 tooth rear and 13.375" ish shock length. Chain length putting the adjustment in the front half.
Clears the swingarm and front sprocket guide adequately.
Special frame & 16" rear wheel.
;)

Oh ok I see,
I'm going to try and reset the rear sprocket, the tight and loose areas of the chain just seem a little too drastic..is it possible the sprocket can be centered better? I must investigate, I don't think it's the chain because it was a brand new jc Whitney hd, and it happens w the oem chain same.
Next thing I'm going to do it try an 18t front. If I had to I can add 2 to the back which I'm sure would help allot but I might like 18 30. I most use my bike for transportation.

Some 18 tooth sprockets and chains combos eats the clutch pushrods.

I see some guys have problems with that and some don't. I guess the chain thickness would matter. I think some of the O ring chains rub the shift shaft w 18 t.

I'm going to try and reset the rear sprocket, the tight and loose areas of the chain just seem a little too drastic..is it possible the sprocket can be centered better?
Yes, possible and even likely. What kind of rear sprocket do you have installed ? Since you have removing that sprocket to check fitment in mind, perhaps now is the right time to go ahead and buy an OEM Yamaha 32 T sprocket (Ebay) and then you will be more assured of the machining and fitment is good. Worked for me.
If an 18 up front were an easy switch I think it would be more common and spoken of. An 18 is apparently just a bit to tight in there for the clearances is what I've read.
-R

Yes, Good call, on the OEM, I would prefer an OEM chain as well. It just seems like the tolerances are much closer on the OEM chain when I compare. I'll search ebay , if you have a link to an OEM sprocket, if you can post it.
Ya, it is a generic sprocket, I think an OEM would be a firmer fit.

Back