Change of plans....

motormike

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
RE Trip 1.jpgRE Trip 2.jpgRE Trip 4.jpgRE Trip crush.jpgRE Trip Xs.jpgRE Trip 5.jpg I had planned on a visit to the VJMC event, 45th, Ozarks. But life (family) cut my days from 6 down two three. So, the backup was the National Motorcycle Museum, Anamosa, Iowa. Show-swap-auction. I had my peepers on one bike. The Xs chopper ! This was my first overnight on the RE. Time wasn't an issue to I visited the American Pickers store LeClair, Iowa. Been there before.... and there's not much to purchase... except American Picker T shirts, American Pickers magnets.. American Pickers.. etc etc. Got to the Super 8 motel at Anamosa.... (485 miles) Had serious overnight boomers with crackling skies. Awoke to a not so super " ate " breakfast. Storms lingered.... I checked the color radar.... it should clear up midafternoon. The show didn't happen and about 15 vendors at the swap braved the rain. The museum is excellent, and they'd be hard pressed to add another bike. The auction contained about 75 bikes and other items. The Xs chopper... reportedly built by a well know builder out of Florida... magazine cover bike. I checked it out..... the front end is heavy.... I mean flip flop heavy, I pulled the brake lever, one rear disc, no brake !, the left carb was hanging on the cable, I rolled the bike... no drag.... put my hand on the kick start to turn the engine over.... Oooh ? .. then I really pressed down,,hard.... No moment... Auction started at 11 Am... on site and on line. The Xs hammered $3750.oo. A barn find 48' Harley UL (big flathead) .. and it was a barn find, ruff, rusty....... hammered for $40,000.oo. I was at an auction at Baxter Cycle last year, same auction company and a barn find Indian, $50,000.oo Both bikes when to Hungary... seems there's a deep pocket collector over there that's purchased several old Hoggies. I didn't still around to finish the auction... skies cleared.... and took advantage and pointed the front wheel due north 300 miles. :cool:

Nice trip. Your Re looks nice especially with the match Panniers.

What is your opinion of the RE now after a good trip like this. Any cons at all??

Excellent machine. Decrepitly fast ! Found myself north of 70mph on Iowa back roads all too often. Handles well. Smooth, silky shifts, great front brake. Rear brake is a bit soft for my taste and will have the dealer (3 yr warranty) check into it. At 52.4 to the gallon that's great but the low fuel light starts blinking after about 120 miles. I did a stretch on I-80 (40 miles) at 80mph and still had the tach needle about 2000 rpms before the red on the gauge. I'm not a fan of interstates, especially I-80. It's the main east-west route for truckers who are making money, so move over or go faster. The panniers, Cravens, UK based.. nice but with the overnight boomers.. a little water did get pass the rubber seals. But with all my bags I wrap everything in plastic. I upgraded the seat to the RE Touring. But after 3-4 hours... my kister is complaining.... " butt " it could be because it's a 70 year old kister. The aftermarket has gone gonzo on these. Big Bore kits, 750-850 and 950 on the shelf.... a slew of mufflers and other bit. When I bought mine (2020, $5899.oo) it was a good value Vs return. But now the out the door price has reached a point where the value Vs return is approaching consideration for other bigger twins. :cool::cool:

Back