Charging issues

dubepj

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My rotor was defective so replace with one from Rick's. Has about 7 ohms between the two copper rings and charged real well. About 14 volts going to battery. Worked good for about 25 miles then rotor crapped out again. So now trying to get the original one rewound by a local guy. I'm thinking there is other issues here.
I'll unplug yellow wire going to safety relay. I'll pull headlight fuse.
Anything else you guys can thing I should do???
It's a 1984 Heritage special SX650 Model SK, Canadian model. Thanks all.
I do have a good color wiring diagram fro this bike.

Are the rotors for Rick's know to be not so good??

Had a countryman of yours go through 2 new chinese repop rotors in less that 300 miles. I rewound his old one and he never had another problem. I tend to think Ricks are chinese repops but I don't know that for sure.
My charge for rewinding is $105. Shipping to and from Canada is quiet steep though.... about 40 bucks US each way.
Have a read here.

Had a countryman of yours go through 2 new chinese repop rotors in less that 300 miles. I rewound his old one and he never had another problem. I tend to think Ricks are chinese repops but I don't know that for sure.
My charge for rewinding is $105. Shipping to and from Canada is quiet steep though.... about 40 bucks US each way.
Have a read here.
Thanks for the reply JIM
I read the section on READ THIS and my stator and Rectifier both check out good. Before I put on the new rewound rotor should I do anything, like pull headlight fuse or unplug Yellow wire?? Or anything else you can think of. thanks

You shouldn't have to pull any fuses or unplug any wires, just install the new rotor and go. You might want to do a voltage check on your charging system, though, to find out what it's outputting. Check it at both idle (lower output) and revved to 3K to 3500 RPMs (full output). You don't want to see more than about 14.5 volts for full output. If it's charging lots more, like 15 to 16 volts, that might be killing your rotors. If it's really low, that would put more of a strain on the rotor as well.

Thanks for reply 5twins. I did that last time with a new rotor from Ricks. Only lasted about 20miles. I strapped a volt meter to handlebars to monitor as I rode. Worked good for a while then rotor failed. Every other components (Stator, Rectifier) tests good.
Oh well try again.

Mr 5t is on it
I dont know what type regulator sits there .. But if this was me i would connect a Voltmeter having it on the bike
So if the charging goes North quickly can stop
You may have some electronic device with other behavior
But the stock relay type can show the right values when cold but when out there warm days at highway speeds the
Charging Voltage was over 15 V.
I tried to fix it but had to give up and now have an electronic Bosch Type .
I was lucky Not frying the Boyer Ignition before I found it but that was pure luck

Before I put on the new rewound rotor should I do anything, like pull headlight fuse or unplug Yellow wire?? Or anything else you can think of. thanks
No, I don't think so. The best things you can do are ensure your battery's good... and if you watched my reg/rec video, make sure the power on the red and brown wires are close to the same... within .2 to .3 volts. If power's low (to the reg.) on the brown, it will overwork the alternator. That's one cause of premature rotor failure.

I have ordered a small digital readout Volt meter. I have one on My Harley and it saved my butt once when the Voltage regulator crapped out. Normal is about 13.7 volts at highway speeds. One day only showed as 11.5 volts so something was not right.

Back