Charging System Component ID (83 Heritage Spec - STOCK)

maximusrising

XS650 Enthusiast
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Hello Community,
Could I get names of the parts in the pictures? It's not charging and it fails the slap test, (by the way so does my 2004 Honda Shadow - is that completely different?) so I need to start troubleshooting but I'm not sure what's what.

Also, regarding the awesome write up by Jim, "...all you need to do is locate the green wire at the regulator plug and make a jump from it to ground." Question - break the connection to ground or ADD a path to ground?

Thanks as always.

John 1983 XS650SK Stock

Attachments

• IMG-2327.jpg
    IMG-2327.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG-2328.jpg
    IMG-2328.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG-2329.jpg
    IMG-2329.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 72
Since you have accessed the alternator, you need to access the copper rings on the rotor. You'll need a multimeter. The resistance between the copper rings has to be about 5 ohms. I expect yours is less than 3. That is the most likely culprit and needs to be checked first. You can access the rings by removing the brushes. Check the brush length, killing two birds with one stone.

..... and the first two items in your pics don't relate to the charging system, only the third one does.

Thanks, always appreciate the help! Not knowing what they were is why I asked, it is clear now.
Electrical issues confound me, shouldn't, but do. Thanks again!!

Rotor ohms ... not good. End of search for charging issue? Anyone know which connector (if any) is voltage reg? That thing is IN there and I hate taking off the air boxes. Well I actually hate putting them back on but same difference. Never mind the Meter etc. picture Can't figure out how to delete it.

Happy long weekend!

Attachments

• meter etc..jpg
    meter etc..jpg
    458 KB · Views: 79
  • Connectors.jpg
    Connectors.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 74
  • Rotor ohms.jpg
    Rotor ohms.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 73
Back