cheap 2-stroke oil?

Walmart gets their oils from various major suppliers so chances are, their 2-stroke oil is a pretty good brand "in disguise". I asked the sales guy in the Walmart auto department about their motor oil. He told me Mobile makes it for them.

Walmart gets their oils from various major suppliers so chances are, their 2-stroke oil is a pretty good brand "in disguise". I asked the sales guy in the Walmart auto department about their motor oil. He told me Mobile makes it for them.
4NPJ2_AS03.jpg

Interesting. I have always contended that the stuff in these two bottles is exactly the same. It all comes out of the same big ol' tank. Costs exactly the same.

Worked on a Yamaha 125 twin once that had been losing power, getting weaker steadily, did tune-ups cleaned carbs replaced ignition parts nothing worked. Finally it just quit altogether, spark plugs drowned, raw gas in the crankcase. Turned out 5,000 miles of running outboard motor oil had plugged the baffles in the mufflers and choked it to death. Wouldn't have happened with proper two cycle detergent motor oil. At the time we were selling a quality (Homelite) two cycle oil for less that half the price of that outboard stuff, but the customer knew what he wanted and I couldn't change his mind.

A 1981 xs650 Special II has been my daily ride for the last six years. In stock form save swapped bars. This forum has been a great source of information and inspiration. But while we're on the subject of 2-STROKES, I have a '76 Suzuki gt500 given to me by a neighbor who was leaving town around ten years ago. The engine is siezed and I've been waiting for the time, money and space for this project. It's looking like I may be able to start on it this spring. I want to do a complete teardown/rebuild of the engine and gearbox. I've done some research but would be gratefull for any advice or recommendations on anything related to this build including other forums dedicated to this model. Trying to get more info on costs of parts and machine shop services. Any tips appreciated.
20190512_163218.jpg

In all my 2 strokes I only ever used motul (it helped I worked at a shop that was a dealer and I got it for cost)

BUT they did make oils specifically for premix and injection.

Things may have changed in the last 15 years but motul 800 was premix only - too thick for injection. 600 was premix or injection.

Also - I never trusted an injector. Always premixed it!!

working in a shop that specialized in 2strokes saw a lot of bike come through the door with seized motors from clogged oil injection

Also - I never trusted an injector. Always premixed it!!
BEWARE!!! The oil injection on my TS 185 not only sends oil to the carb, it also sends oil to the left-side crank bearing, where some of it then gets caught on a shield, and centrifugal force flings it on the crank pin. Changing a Suzuki TS or TM to pre-mix WILL destroy it.

BEWARE!!! The oil injection on my TS 185 not only sends oil to the carb, it also sends oil to the left-side crank bearing, where some of it then gets caught on a shield, and centrifugal force flings it on the crank pin. Changing a Suzuki TS or TM to pre-mix WILL destroy it.

interesting.

Do the Suzuki street bikes do that too?? Like the Titans?

Never owned or worked on anything Suzuki.

point being - understand your machines before you go breaking the rules.

3776189_orig.jpg

This is a great drawing. Mine is pretty much exactly like this. Works great.
The system was called CCI, which stands for Crankcase Cylinder Injection. I'm not a Suzuki expert, but apparently it was used in a lot of Suzuki model lines of the 70s. Maybe Suzuki were the only ones to do something like this.
Yep, the Titan has CCI.

Back