Chillie, not sauce...meat tomatoes and all the other stuff

You've gone into personal taste territory. I like it best with no beans. I prefer chunks of pork rather than ground meat. I like it with all fresh ingredients, nothing out of a can. I like textures. Peel the tomatoes first. My wife does not prefer the texture of the pork. If I use beef stew meat, it must be cooked much longer. I often mix by adding half browned pork later in the process as it doesn't require tenderizing in the pot. I like it spicy. Cayenne is my heat of choice.

At a chili cook-off a few years ago I tasted one I particularly liked. It had a certain sweetness and some sage. It turns out he has added in some breakfast sausage.
It's time to start experimenting!

Here is one method out of several thousands of ways...

2 lbs thinly sliced ribeye
1 lb thinly sliced pork
Chop these and stir fry together till brown. While stirring, add a teaspoon of chili powder, one cup of diced onion, three large diced jalapenos (seeds too if you like it hotter), and three crushed cloves of garlic.
In a deep sauce pan or crook pot, dice up tomatoes till half full. (You should see lots of liquid from this). Get it hot.
Add 1-2 cans of refried beans, stir till spread evenly.
Add a can of ranch beans- no more beans after this.
Add the meat and veggie from above. Should be boiling by now if in the deep sauce pan. Stir and make sure everything mingles well. If in a crock pot, stir that too.
Add two teaspoons of black pepper, two teaspoons of cumin, 1 teaspoon of white pepper, stir some more.
Add in two more teaspoons of chili powder, stir and let boil a few minutes before you taste test it.
Let it boil for about 10 more minutes while stirring it, let the water evaporate from the tomatoes.
Chop up a bunch of green onions and add to the pot then turn heat down. stir every so often for the next six-seven hours. Taste it along the way to your liking,a dd stuff as you wish.
A little cilantro is cool too. My Pretty Pillion does not like it al all so I leave it out for her.
I do not add sugar to this one with all that cumin already in it but you may if desired. But if you do want extra natural sweetness, chop a sweet green pepper and add in.
The long slow cook should get a lot of the water out plus the refried beans help to thicken it some. I usually do not add flour or cornstarch.
Enjoy

Back