Choke - no high idle

Torchard

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Since sorting out a grounding issue and increasing the pilots (35) in my BS38s, the bike overall runs very well, but it doesn’t jump to high idle when choked. The choke seems to be enriching, but previously the idle would rise significantly. So now it requires me to coax it with throttle or manual adjust the idle setting ‘til fully warmed. Is this a sign that the circuit is a bit plugged? Fitted with Uni pods. Thanks. T.

Oh, I found an earlier post which suggests this is normal given the nature of the tech. Choke for short period, say 20 secs, then coax them along for a bit. ?

Since sorting out a grounding issue and increasing the pilots (35) in my BS38s, the bike overall runs very well, but it doesn’t jump to high idle when choked. The choke seems to be enriching, but previously the idle would rise significantly. So now it requires me to coax it with throttle or manual adjust the idle setting ‘til fully warmed. Is this a sign that the circuit is a bit plugged? Fitted with Uni pods. Thanks. T.

My 38's don't go to a real high idle either unless I push down on the choke lever with my thumb. It seems the bracket that holds the choke lever "open" isn't locking it at full 100% open, only maybe 80 or 90% open. This is enough choke for easy cold starts but not enough to give it that high idle.

Mine are similar. I can push down for that extra 10-20% but it still doesn’t kick into high idle. Funny enough before these other fixes, it did. Quite high actually. Thanks.

Back