Chop Scoot Rebuild

1fatalZ28

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Well let's see how well I can track the rebuild of my 83. I think it is an 83 at least. Maybe I should check the title again. Either way I purchased it from a buddy of mine. He had it for a few years and it was supposed to be in good running condition until the charging system went out on it. I think he let it sit for a year or so before he contacted me about helping him sell it. I told him for the right price I would just take it off his hands. We settled on a price, and it came on home with me. He already had a PMA and ignition setup from XS charge new in the box that came with it so I figured it would be an easy task to get it running. Messed around with it for a bit before deciding to go ahead and rewire the whole bike while I was at it. Once I rewired it and had all the new xs charge stuff installed I finally got it to running. Somewhere in the middle of all that is when the fun began! For the life of me I could not get the bike to fire. Finally figured out the timing ring was in backwards, and from the looks of it I still think it should be the other way but ehh whatever. Now that it is running every now and then there is a loud backfire from the right cylinder. So back to troubleshooting I go. Check the coil. All is good there. Check the valves. Adjusted and all good there. Check the carb. Ehh decently clean but not reason for it to be the issue. Fire it back up just to let it run a bit and the right cylinder is just dead cold with the occasional backfire which sounds like someone sending a single 5.56 round down range. Only thing left is check the compression. It would only build 20 psi or so before bleeding right back down to 0...... Now I'm in the middle of a full rebuild with a 750 kit from XS Performance, Shell 1 cam and Kibble White spring kit from Gary Hoos, and a beautifully redone head from Daniel at Pandemonium! Going to post some pics of it from along the way along with continuing to update the thread with my progress. Here is how it looked when I picked it up from my buddy.

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    499.2 KB · Views: 95
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    483.6 KB · Views: 91
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    498.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    462.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 5.jpeg
    5.jpeg
    492.4 KB · Views: 91
I like the direction the chopper was and is going. Is that a Knuckle/Pan in your profile pic?

Looking neat and tidy, good looking box. I learned the hard way batteries hate vibrations and these bikes have them in spades. I mounted my new battery on a piece of high density foam.
Thanks! I didn't want to run a battery, but there is a chance that my wife will be riding this one some so i wanted to make it easier on her. All my other's just run capacitors.

I could see the pan on the rear cylinder but the front is a little fuzzy and makes it look like a knuckle. I’ve actually seen one with dual heads and thought that may be one also. Very nice!

Thanks! I didn't want to run a battery, but there is a chance that my wife will be riding this one some so i wanted to make it easier on her. All my other's just run capacitors.
We’ll it’s a good lookin scoot. She’ll like it

Well, here it is all blown apart. I'm currently putting the motor back together. I still can get over how awesome the head looked when it came back from Daniel! The reassembly pictures will be next.

Attachments

• 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    382.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 71
We are getting somewhere! Cam is actually in and timing chain on. Rocker box is next, and then it is time to break out the torque wrench.

Attachments

• 29.jpg
    29.jpg
    502.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 28.jpg
    28.jpg
    441.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    461.7 KB · Views: 76
Amazingly clean shop…..
My shop is anything but clean. It stays a constant mess and is in a state of disarray. It gets a good cleaning once a year if I am lucky and even then, the pile on my toolbox just has junk added to it. Thank you though. One of these days I'll get organized.

Well, the motor in back together for the most part. Trying to finish up a few things on the frame and it will be time to stuff it back in. I got the new tank mounted up and made some brackets to tuck the coil up in the tunnel. Going to figure out the foot controls tonight hopefully!

Attachments

• 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    414.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg