Cleaning under left side cover?

Sudonate91

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok I feel like this is a dumb question. But I just got my clutch rod oil seal and I want to slap that baby in. Only problem is - there is so much built up oil it's hard to clean with detergent and a spray bottle rinse. I wanna just power wash it to blast it all away. Only reason I havnt done that is because of the alternator.

So my dumb question is. How wet can that get? Can I slap a plastic sack over it and go to town on the chain side? Is it a total no go?

*Edit - so to be clear - my goal is to clean the entire area, not because I am unable to change the seal because of grime, but because I would like to it clean if their is not gonna be oil leaking anymore. Part of an overall detailing job I want to do

Thanks - nate

Last edited:
I just covered the generator with a small plastic bag and went at it with a spray bottle filled with kerosene and a scraper and a flat bladed screw driver and brush (I'm sure diesel would work too
It's putzy but it will get it all cleaned up nicely

I also need to do a top down detailing. I'm going the rear swingarm bushing and shocks, rebuilding the front forks, and plan on trying to hit the frame with some paint. So I will wanna break the washer out to just degunk EVERYTHING. Outside of a car wash when I first got the bike last year - ,this thing hasn't had a good detailing for over 10 years.

Nix on the power wash... shallow pan under the center stand bike... old school bristle brush.. and your favorite cleaner... small scraper at first. Pull sprocket .... make sure you reamer the seal entrance ..... I install the push rod... place new seal in place.. rod helps hold and center the seal...and with a deep socket.. think a 14 mm... one that matches the diameter of the seal... install socket reversed... flat side against the seal... use a heavy hammer... one hit usually does the deed. You'll note that the edges of the seal will peel a little.. that's normal. :cool:

Yup mineral spirits or paint thinner, scrapers, various brushes, etc. work over a pan. Big hardwood "splinters" make good scrapers. Mineral spirits are not as obnoxious as kerosene, drys paint ready.
No power washing of XS650 motors, water WILL Get in, no matter how careful you are.

Back