Cleaning up headers.

adi1974

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm going to clean up the header pipes on my 78SE. They're very tatty and have deep pitted rust. I may end up painting them black or covering with wrap but gonna try and see if I can get a nice satin metal finish first. I've just experimented in my shed with various drill bit attachments and had some pretty good success until the drill died.

What would you use? A bench grinder with wire brush? Angle grinder with wire brush? whats best? I'll probably end up finishing it with scotch brite but there's along way to go before I get to that stage. Some of the rust pitting is pretty bad especially on the inside of the curve.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I used Brillo pads on mine. They still have pits on 'em, but they came out pretty good considering how badly they were rusted.

045.jpg

They've come up nice Mick! I think mine are too bad to just use the pads I have, need some electric muscle to get rid of the worse before I finish with the hand pads.

Did you need to treat your pipes afterwards? Are they still bare metal or did you paint them?

For the money go buy a set of mikesXS headers.
phosphoric acid eats the rust away. Usually it's the inside of the curve facing the engine that is real bad, you are the only one who knows that rust is there.
Anything stronger than white compound on a buffing pad scratches the chrome and it will re/rust in a hurry. Crumple up aluminum foil, rub it into the pits.
Oil the pipes after wire brushing they will darken but it can look cool these are mild steel brushed, and oiled. You will have to do this on a regular basis.

stevedale.jpg

Thanks Gary. I'm in the UK so can't really buy from the US shipping and tax are prohibitive plus my engine build is costing a lot of money so I'm trying to mend and make do elsewhere. there's virtually no chrome left on the pipes so no need to worry about damaging it. :). Oiling the pipes is a good tip. Any one used ACF-50? I've got a few cans and heard good things but wasnt sure if it would work on something so hot as manifolds.

I'm imagining I'm going to have to paint or wrap but I guess if I paint I'll need to get a nice smooth finish anyway so the pitted rust needs to go. Plus its a challenge eh. ;)

I've never treated them, just give 'em a quick polish here and there. My pipes were really bad, solid rust. I just kept rubbing and rubbing, it took forever. They are still pitted pretty bad, it just doesn't show in the pics.
Aluminum foil? Gonna have to try that.

That is a good price mate. I've not having any other chrome on the bike though. So far its either brushed satin ally or black.

"brushed" - well rubbed more like, if you know what I mean

Well done Mick. Good result without power! I've scotched most of my engine so far mostly by hand, not perfect but I don't really want it to look perfect anyway.

Ah right. That sort of finish will require a bit of TLC to keep it looking tip top but not too much. I wouldnt oil them unless its going to stand for a period. Ive had plain steel pipes on bikes and just give them a polish with Autosol and a wipe with a rag lightly sprayed with WD40 and theyve been fine

Thanks Paul. I just read some of your builds. Ace! I was curious as to what polishing technique you use? I saw how good you got your carbs looking. Is that all by hand or did you use a dremel / bench wheel or something? I've done mine by hand by cant get in all the nooks and crannies as well as you've achieved. Again I'm just trying to work out if its worth me putting some wire or scotch wheels on my bench grinder or sticking to hand tools / elbow grease. I keep reading about wire brushes on bench grinders being a liability. Brushes and whatnot on my dremel (equivalent) don't last more than a few mins so I've been mostly sticking to hand polishing (in a not very shiny way).

A few areas that have ended up too shiny were sorted out with a bit of oven cleaner to give them a nice dull finish. (on purpose) :). Although I want a dull / satin finish it would be nice to get a more uniform effect and get into the nooks abit more.

On the same tip, how would you take the pipes? Bench, angle grinder or by hand?

Cheers all!

Adi

Hi,
Thanks! The carbs are done using these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QTY-2-De-...15?pt=UK_Home_Power_Tools&hash=item4d0471ea57
I machine the shanks down to fit into a Dremel but you can use them in a drill. The Dremel wire brushes are utter shite and fly to pieces. If you take your time with these types of wire brush using light pressure, you'll get the same results. I finish them off on a bench wire wheel and bench buffer, then finish off by hand.

Bench wire wheels are fine as long as you use the normal precautions - eye protection, gloves etc as if they bite, you don't want flesh near ;)

As for the pipes, take the rough off on the wire wheel, lightly, then buff and finish by hand.

Back