Clutch adjustment Nut & Screw

Jonnystinkfinger

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
So on the exact same day I get my bike legal for the road take it out for the first ride forgot to put the rubber boot over the adjustment and lost the whole damn deal is there any way to temporarily fix this problem was something from the hardware store any help would be appreciated
I know this is some XS650 Forum I own xs400 they look almost identical

Look at parts diagrams for both bikes on a site like Partzilla. You might find the screw has the same part number for both bikes. Pull the screw out of the 400 and look at the inside end for how it's shaped to contact the ball. Hardware store metric hardware could be easily made to fit. You could slot the outside end of the screw for a regular screw driver.

Yes, the 400 and 650 worm adjustment screw and lock nut are the same. But just be aware that the lock nut is a J.I.S. sized part in that it has a smaller 12mm hex head on it. The hardware store nut you get will be a 13mm hex. You'll need to check and make sure it will fit down into the plastic female part of the worm when the metal male part retracts into it .....

1MHx5XO.jpg

Also, consider those hardware store parts just a temporary "fix". I'm pretty sure the adjuster screw is hardened, at the very least at the tip.

Look at parts diagrams for both bikes on a site like Partzilla. You might find the screw has the same part number for both bikes. Pull the screw out of the 400 and look at the inside end for how it's shaped to contact the ball. Hardware store metric hardware could be easily made to fit. You could slot the outside end of the screw for a regular screw driver.
That's the problem both the screw and the nut are gone I have one screw but it feels just slightly bigger than it needs to be because I can only get it in so far

Yes, the 400 and 650 worm adjustment screw and lock nut are the same. But just be aware that the lock nut is a J.I.S. sized part in that it has a smaller 12mm hex head on it. The hardware store nut you get will be a 13mm hex. You'll need to check and make sure it will fit down into the plastic female part of the worm when the metal male part retracts into it .....

1MHx5XO.jpg

Also, consider those hardware store parts just a temporary "fix". I'm pretty sure the adjuster screw is hardened, at the very least at the tip.
It worked now I'll just have to find the right one made from hardened steel thanks for the reply

That's the problem both the screw and the nut are gone I have one screw but it feels just slightly bigger than it needs to be because I can only get it in so far
I got it fixed at least temporarily I found a bolt at the local hardware store now I just have to track down the proper one thanks for the reply

Back